Help me decide on a breed...

Elliott

Hi everyone, I'm soon to be a first time dog owner and I've been doing alot of research on different breeds. So far, my favourites have been:

- Pembroke Welsh Corgis
- mini Daschunds
- Beagle
- Basset Hound
- Skye Terrier

my criteria for a breed:
- small to under medium sized
- fairly obedient (especially regarding the "potty" training part)
- tolerence to being alone during the day while I'm at university (most important criteria)
- utmost loyalty and affection
- needs to be moderately active (enjoy walks), but not so much that I need to be around all the time to play with it
- cleaniness

I generally prefer dogs that have really short legs because they look really adorable and I also prefer sharper snouts. I do not like any of the flat-faced breeds.

I'm hoping that I could get any recommendations on other breeds or opinons on the breeds I'm looking at. Thank you.

candy722

From what you described I think a beagle or a mini dashunds sound more of what you need. Terriers are known to be hyper.

Terriers are very energetic, and very loud. They're also very stubborn. Cleanliness.....a Terrier loooves to get dirty. My JRT mix absolutely adores the mud. Most all dogs love getting dirty now and then.

Hounds are also very loud. They're sweet dogs.

Are you thinking of getting a puppy? How long are you gone every day?

Taking your situation into consideration, I'd strongly suggest that you look into a Basset rescue and get a dog that's past the puppy stage.

A Corgi, Beagle or any Terrier is going to need plenty of exercise, especially when they're young. Beagles love to "sing" and they also tend to be runners and can have a hard time finding their way home! Any of the "minis" are going to be fraught with health problems - and big vet bills. If you like the dachsund, stick with a standard. Dena (Denaluvscorgis) can give you good first-hand information on the Corgi and how one might fit into your life.

The Basset really does sound like the best choice for you based on your descriptions, though.

I have to say this in reagards for the Bassets. They are stubborn when it comes to housebreaking. Bassets also shed and they have a 'houndy' oder. Actually, if you don't mind a bit bigger dog, I'd suggest a Whippet. They are very clean, quiet, don't know how they are with housetraining, but when using positive meathods, they learn pretty fast, they are loyal, and they are clam indoors but LOVE their running.
I guess that wouldn't fit into your "small, short legged" catagory, but maybe you could look into it. But out of that list, I'd probably suggest a Skye Terrier. But Skyes are very dominant dogs, and aren't for the wishy washy owner.

The thing to bear in mind is that NO dog is going to fit into your lifestyle without some adjusments and compromises from your side. You have to figure out where you're willing to or capable of making adjustments and decide accordingly.

Actually, with the exception of your preference for the sharper profile, the French Bulldog might be ideal.

I will, however, give you my standard advice: go to a shelter with an open mind and heart. You're most likely to find the "perfect" dog for you waiting to be saved . . .

gapeach

Big Mutts
I comletely agree with Renee, save a shelter dog, they are so appreciative! :D

I would go to a shelter too. We went looking for the perfect dog a few years ago, and found Colby, a JRT/Canaan Dog mix puppy. We weren't looking for a terrier because they can be snappy at times, but Colby has always been a very sweet and tolerant dog. She absolutely looooves little kids. But just to let you know--to have her behave this well we've spent lots of time training and exercising her :).

candy722

Definetely you have to give up some of your lifestyle. For example, staying home more than going out. I see that you a college student and your probably going to be at school and probably out with friends. And if you can't make time then you shouldn't even get a dog. It will probably take you longer to housebreak your dog and maybe lonely. Why not a smaller dog then you can possibly take it out with you more often?

bubbatd

I was going to answer this when first posted, but I was afraid it would have been the growl heard around the world.!! Did you know that more animals are turned into shelters when college is over and students move on ?? But, I do have what's perfect for you while in school. It's an Avarti...the "kennel" is Applause.....the cutiest stuffed puppies ever made ! Cuddly, clean,no grooming, and you can take them anwhere with your friends.....even bars.

joce

Didn't read everything everyone said but I would not recommend a corgi as a first dog. They need lots of attention and can have bad barking habits. For how small they are they are still a big dog. HTey can be assertive like herding dogs are and a lot of people think they are just getting a small calm dog.

Doberluv

I was going to answer this when first posted, but I was afraid it would have been the growl heard around the world.!!
Bubb...you're not the only one here who hesitated, not wanting to sound too discouraging...

BUT....the descriptions and the criteria seem very contradicting to me too. "utmost loyalty and affection:" Well, most dogs are, but they need to be attended too in amounts to match. If you're not there, but at school and other activities and later when you're busy with your career, how is the dog going to feel very loyal when it's left alone most of the day? Every dog needs a lot of attention and care. They're pack animals and cannot do it alone. They will be mal adjusted if they are forced to be alone too much or the majority of the time. You want obedience, easy to potty train etc...well, that ALL depends on the amount of time YOU put into it. You get out of a dog what you put in. I don't mean to sound judgemental or assume too much, but with your lifestyle, (what I imagine, having gone to college myself etc ) and your criteria, some of which isn't automatic in any breed, as it sounds like you expect... I would have to agree with Bubb' on this.

But, I do have what's perfect for you while in school. It's an Avarti...the "kennel" is Applause.....the cutiest stuffed puppies ever made ! Cuddly, clean,no grooming, and you can take them anwhere with your friends.....even bars.

bubbatd

Thanks!! Have you seen the Avarti dogs ?? So lifelike !! I gave my Mother one for her 85th birthday as she missed my visits with Bubba so....she'd put hats on him, give him a bone and sunglasses if it was sunny! I know have him beside my bed with happy memories. They aren't cheap...!!! So loveable in many breeds. Naturally, I bought the golden pup.

Elliott

Hi all,

thanks for the replies. first of all, I'm getting a dog mainly for myself yes, but I live with my family so there's usually someone around at home.

I do not mind adopting and will be looking around at animal shelters. I actually have a weakness for mutts. from what i've heard and read, mutts are less likely to have heridetary problems associated with purebreds.

bubbatd

You should have posted earlier that you're living at home. That's a HUGE difference !! As long as your family agrees, as he/she will be their dog to watch at least 8 hours a day.

Members online