Computer people - online gaming question!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
DH's computer has been on the fritz lately. We don't really know what is wrong with it. It is randomly shutting down, the monitor doesn't want to work, weird things have happened with the picture quality...but that is besides the point, as I'm here for me, not him!

We both like to game online, but my computer has HORRIBLE lag issues when playing multiplayer games. With his computer essentially dead, he's using his Laptop for gaming which means I'm without a computer to join in on the fun. I'd really like to fix this, but we can't afford to go out and just purchase a new computer, so I'd like to see if there is a cheap alternative to boost mine. (DH plans to completely replace his computer when he comes back from deployment, so he doesn't want to dump any money into it to diagnose what the heck is going on with his at the moment. I'D like to have a computer capable of gaming online while he is gone, since he will be taking the laptop with him and I don't want to completely stop playing with our friends!)

My computer is fairly "old"...I bought it refurbished about five years ago. We thought its lag issues while online gaming were due to the wireless router, but when we hooked it up via an ethernet cable we had the same results. I can play games such as Minecraft/Civilization without any major issues (maybe mild lag), but games such as Gary's Mod/Left4Dead/etc. make it freak out, even with graphics/response times turned down low.

I don't really know what all information is pertinent for online gaming performance, but I have:

Model: HP p6310y
RAM: 6 GB (with 5.7 available)
Hard Drive: 920 GB (with 720 GB free)
Graphics Card: Nividia GeForce 9100
Processor: AMD Athlon IIx4 630

I'm connected to the internet via a wireless adapter, but I'm able to have a hard connection for gaming if needed.

Anything that can be replaced/updgraded (cheaply-ish, aka, less than a new computer) to boost my gaming performance online? I'm assuming my graphics card and processor are out of date. Or would it just be better to wait to upgrade entirely?

Sekah

The Monster.
I'm not posting with any useful advice. I'm just posting to say that I really, really don't miss piecemealing computers together. It's exhausting trying to figure out what's wrong (normally there's more than one issue) and a pain to find a solution that gels with the rest of the components.

I <3 my middle of the road laptop for computer things, and my PS4 for games.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I think this might have been the computer I had before my current one. Similar anyway, but I upgraded mine a bunch over the years.

For gaming... your computer in general is really out-of-date. The processor is okay but not powerful by any means. Your graphics card is on the very low-end by today's standards, and unless you've upgraded the built-in 300 watt power supply then anything else you upgrade will probably keep killing your power.

So... yeah. At that point I'd suggest spending a little more by upgrading the whole system. With an old system like yours, components could dye out anytime, better to go with new parts. You don't need to spend a mint or go really high-end. BF helped me build my computer, which had to be high-performance to run multiple graphics software programs simultaneously as well as game well. We built it for an end price of just under a grand. You could easily go less powerful than mine and still play most multiplayer games really well.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
So... yeah. At that point I'd suggest spending a little more by upgrading the whole system. With an old system like yours, components could dye out anytime, better to go with new parts. You don't need to spend a mint or go really high-end. BF helped me build my computer, which had to be high-performance to run multiple graphics software programs simultaneously as well as game well. We built it for an end price of just under a grand. You could easily go less powerful than mine and still play most multiplayer games really well.
Any suggestions on good sources to research components besides borrowing your boyfriend? Haha

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Newegg's good for shopping, not so good for researching.

We used http://pcpartpicker.com/ to build the PC we wanted, googling the products for research as we went along. Then we posted on this subreddit for advice.

I'm pretty savvy about computer parts and such, but the BF is an electrical engineer and half our office is computer parts, so I admit having him is a valuable resource. You can also find a local small-scale computer parts store and pick an employee's brain. Avoid big box if you can.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Thanks!

We've successfully built our own in the past for similar reasons (gaming + running engr computational programs) but it's been about seven years and I'm way out of date and need to catch up.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Thanks!

We've successfully built our own in the past for similar reasons (gaming + running engr computational programs) but it's been about seven years and I'm way out of date and need to catch up.
That's the hardest part, always. I just did a lot of reading, research and Googling. Marshall stays up to date and was suggesting things to me, but I'm never one to just blankly nod my head. :p

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
That's the hardest part, always. I just did a lot of reading, research and Googling. Marshall stays up to date and was suggesting things to me, but I'm never one to just blankly nod my head. :p
Same, haha. Thanks for the starting point suggestions!

*blackrose

Thanks for the suggestions! Michael's computer was built from scratch, but its the one on the fritz at the moment. The issue is that we're both in need of rebuilding/repairing our computers and that's going to be pricey. :/ Which we can't do right now. *sigh*

ETA: If I *were* to just upgrade a few things...i have no idea how to do it. Is it pretty idiot proof with a proper walk through, or should I seek someone out to do it? And if so, where would I look?

Last edited:

Airn

If you're not knowledge about computers and their innards I would not recommend doing it yourself. There's a lot you can screw up, especially with the electrical parts. If there is a computer repair shop, they are generally pretty open to helping out. They may charge you.

My SO built his computer, researched for months, ordered all the things and put it together. There was one tiny issue with it that he probably would never have found had he not taken it to the nice guys at our local repair shop. They spent an hour helping him and talking computers. (And for free!) I hope you're able to find someone nice and knowledgeable as well.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Thanks for the suggestions! Michael's computer was built from scratch, but its the one on the fritz at the moment. The issue is that we're both in need of rebuilding/repairing our computers and that's going to be pricey. :/ Which we can't do right now. *sigh*

ETA: If I *were* to just upgrade a few things...i have no idea how to do it. Is it pretty idiot proof with a proper walk through, or should I seek someone out to do it? And if so, where would I look?
I wouldn't, if you've never done it. I had pals growing up that were into building computers, so I picked up some stuff along the way. I'm only now to the point that I'd be comfortable putting together *most* of a computer... but even then I'd prefer help.

If you want to upgrade only a few things... power supply will be #1 if you're still running a 300 watt. Get at least a 700 watt. Then graphics card, but make sure your motherboard can hold the graphics card you intend to purchase. If you get a fresh motherboard, which you may have to, you're going to have to verify that everything in your box will hold to the new motherboard. If it doesn't, you have to buy -those- new components.

See where this goes? It's all a bit complex if you don't know what you're doing. I don't even admit to knowing what I'm doing, most days. :rofl1:

*blackrose

If you're not knowledge about computers and their innards I would not recommend doing it yourself. There's a lot you can screw up, especially with the electrical parts. If there is a computer repair shop, they are generally pretty open to helping out. They may charge you.

My SO built his computer, researched for months, ordered all the things and put it together. There was one tiny issue with it that he probably would never have found had he not taken it to the nice guys at our local repair shop. They spent an hour helping him and talking computers. (And for free!) I hope you're able to find someone nice and knowledgeable as well.
Drat, that's what I was afraid of. Hubby knows some people, but they're all currently deployed. I'm going to see if my cousin is able to help out, but if he can't, I'll have to look in to just buying a new computer. Which sucks, but oh well. :/ If I can get something for less than $500, it may be doable. I'll just have to postpone my piano. Again. Ugh.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I haven't read your whole thread, just your initial post. Your computer needs to be replaced, IMO, rather than sinking a ton of money into small upgrades that'll ultimately need to amount to a whole new computer in order for you to play the games you like for the next few years.

My dad and I built two computers from scratch several years ago, it was our first time doing any of it and went surprisingly smoothly. I still have my gaming computer, from roughtly 2009-2010, which dominates any game I want to play even today.

It's quite possible to build a gaming rig for around $500.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I haven't read your whole thread, just your initial post. Your computer needs to be replaced, IMO, rather than sinking a ton of money into small upgrades that'll ultimately need to amount to a whole new computer in order for you to play the games you like for the next few years.

My dad and I built two computers from scratch several years ago, it was our first time doing any of it and went surprisingly smoothly. I still have my gaming computer, from roughtly 2009-2010, which dominates any game I want to play even today.

It's quite possible to build a gaming rig for around $500.
Is it possible to gut an existing tower and replace everything that way? I have a tower that was given to me (dell vostro 200) I had to replace the power supply, ended up accidentally buying the wrong power supply (I got the one for the vostro slim) but I put it in and it works fine.

My computer lags terribly, even just going online most of the time and I know it's not my Internet because I had a really nice laptop that was super fast until Steven spilled water on the keyboard. I have the hard drive out of it, it's solid state, and I'm hoping to one day recover the info off of it, but I've been really interested in building my own computer that is super fast. Just for the Internet and streaming lol, I don't play computer games unless they're online games, and even then they're not really like, graphics heavy.

Halp. Where to start? I'm quite sure everything in the tower should be replaced and upgraded. I think I definitely need more RAM, and if I had a computer that would run it, I'd probably play Warcraft 2&3 (just the campaigns and stuff, not really wanting to play online) and possibly Oblivion. Those shouldn't be hard to run for most of today's computers, but I highly doubt this one could run any of it.

I prefer custom built desktops to brand name desktops and even laptops. Last longer and better quality. I've never had problems with the ones I've built and it's fun to build them. One piece of advice is to stick with Intel now. Easier to find and better drivers. Realtek makes good sound cards on motherboards and good NICs.

Last edited:
DH's computer has been on the fritz lately. We don't really know what is wrong with it. It is randomly shutting down, the monitor doesn't want to work, weird things have happened with the picture quality...but that is besides the point, as I'm here for me, not him!

We both like to game online, but my computer has HORRIBLE lag issues when playing multiplayer games. With his computer essentially dead, he's using his Laptop for gaming which means I'm without a computer to join in on the fun. I'd really like to fix this, but we can't afford to go out and just purchase a new computer, so I'd like to see if there is a cheap alternative to boost mine. (DH plans to completely replace his computer when he comes back from deployment, so he doesn't want to dump any money into it to diagnose what the heck is going on with his at the moment. I'D like to have a computer capable of gaming online while he is gone, since he will be taking the laptop with him and I don't want to completely stop playing with our friends!)

My computer is fairly "old"...I bought it refurbished about five years ago. We thought its lag issues while online gaming were due to the wireless router, but when we hooked it up via an ethernet cable we had the same results. I can play games such as Minecraft/Civilization without any major issues (maybe mild lag), but games such as Gary's Mod/Left4Dead/etc. make it freak out, even with graphics/response times turned down low.

I don't really know what all information is pertinent for online gaming performance, but I have:

Model: HP p6310y
RAM: 6 GB (with 5.7 available)
Hard Drive: 920 GB (with 720 GB free)
Graphics Card: Nividia GeForce 9100
Processor: AMD Athlon IIx4 630

I'm connected to the internet via a wireless adapter, but I'm able to have a hard connection for gaming if needed.

Anything that can be replaced/updgraded (cheaply-ish, aka, less than a new computer) to boost my gaming performance online? I'm assuming my graphics card and processor are out of date. Or would it just be better to wait to upgrade entirely?
That model has PCIe 1.0 which in theory could slow down some video cards but in practice you probably wouldn't notice the difference. Picture of the motherboard. The RAM can go up to 16GB of DDR3.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...25562&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4120042#N189

The CPU gets somewhat good benchmarks while the video card is horrendous. That nvidia model is typically one that's built into motherboards I believe. In other words, there isn't even a separate video card in that computer but you can add one. Even an inexpensive lower end video card could make that computer faster with games and a RAM upgrade may help too.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+630

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+9100

*blackrose

I think what I'm going to end up doing is just upgrading to a better (but still not high end) refurbished PC. That way I am spending within my budget and have the ability to upgrade in the future when we have more money.

What are the minimum stats I'm looking at to have a good gaming experience? Like I said, I'm not playing high-end graphic games. I think the "prettiest" game I'll be playing is something like Left4Dead 2. Most other games are in the Minecraft/Portal range.

Members online

No members online now.