Help

Lizmo

Water Junkie
My schedule has slowed down for a bit now....and I'm tired of sitting at home all day doing nothing. I'm ready to do something with my dogs! I'm so tired of there being literally *nothing* dog related in this area to compete in.

Suggestions on things to do with a young Border Collie, pool, frisbee, field, or ball? It's super hot out, keep that in mind, usually about 100+. We're bored! :p The pool is fun, but there is only so many times you can just throw a bumper into only a 16ft long pool. lol I've started doing frisbee stuff and he's doing really good, but it gets boring fast for both of us I think.

Maura

How about "find"? Is there an object whose name he knows? Ball, beebee, anything? Stand near the ball, call him over to sit front and center, tell him, "Find ball". Point to the ball if he doesn't get it, put your finger up to your face, point to your nose, then reach out to point to the ball. Once he understands that he is to look for the ball, place the ball farther away, but where he can easily find it. Omit the point. After he finds the ball, I would pick it up and bounce it for him to catch, this is his reward. Intersperse with a vigorous simple pet. Do this indoors in the air conditioning. Take it outside and repeat the process. When he's getting the easy finds switch to a new item, the bumper would be good. And a third toy. Your next step would be to make him look near a bush, around the corner of the house, etc., then make him look up (bush branches, chair,...) Gradually make it harder and harder. If there are other people in your house, advance quickly to finding them, then to using only a scent article, no name.

You can play this indoors or out.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Same here. I'm so effing BORED. It's freakishly hot outside and the locust oh my god will not SHUT UP.

I got a bunch of stuff to draw with. I'm also contemplating becoming nocturnal.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Same boat! I suppose there are so many things I could train but I'm just kind of sick of training.... I just want to do things.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
How about "find"? Is there an object whose name he knows? Ball, beebee, anything? Stand near the ball, call him over to sit front and center, tell him, "Find ball". Point to the ball if he doesn't get it, put your finger up to your face, point to your nose, then reach out to point to the ball. Once he understands that he is to look for the ball, place the ball farther away, but where he can easily find it. Omit the point. After he finds the ball, I would pick it up and bounce it for him to catch, this is his reward. Intersperse with a vigorous simple pet. Do this indoors in the air conditioning. Take it outside and repeat the process. When he's getting the easy finds switch to a new item, the bumper would be good. And a third toy. Your next step would be to make him look near a bush, around the corner of the house, etc., then make him look up (bush branches, chair,...) Gradually make it harder and harder. If there are other people in your house, advance quickly to finding them, then to using only a scent article, no name.

You can play this indoors or out.

Yup, done! He knows the ball by name and can pretty much find it anywhere. We even do obedience commands when throwing the ball. Throw, make him sit, stand, lie down, here, walk...repeat. Good suggestion, though!

Same boat! I suppose there are so many things I could train but I'm just kind of sick of training.... I just want to do things.
Exactly! I don't really want to train, I want something to actually DO together. Something fun and creative.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I'm just teaching a lot of tricks atm. We're working on weaving through my legs, jumping my leg and running out and around an object right now.

SpringerLover

My dog is on restricted activity due to an injured quad muscle.

This is what I'm calling my sanity list.
Look At That
Go-Outs for obedience
"Find your mark" on the floor, moving from foot target, to foot target
A lot, lot, lot, lot of loose leash walking practice
Teaching her how to do her own stretches, for a better stretch
stuffed kongs
interactive treat toys
scent article games
free-stacking games

I've been desperate, and so we've made absolutely everything that's allowed to be part of her daily routine into a training opportunity and game. As a result, my dog is finally learning how to reliably walk on a leash (at 10.5 years old, good time huh?), is learning to wait politely for the door to be opened, is learning a solid mat behavior... and is still driving me crazy some days with her desire to DO something that we just can't.

Anything can be made into a shaping game. Shaping games rock.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Teaching him to do different stretches would be kinda cool. :)

Our new thing is frisbee ATM. Maybe we'll try out to do some neat frisbee tricks. Suggestions?

milos_mommy

I just saw a frisbee competition yesterday, so that's my suggestion. Teach him to jump up and kick off of your body to catch the frisbee, does he weave in and out of your legs?

Are there any lakes you take him to swim in? Lazy activity, but a change of pace. Hiking isn't bad either if you're in a shady area.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Are there any lakes you take him to swim in? Lazy activity, but a change of pace. Hiking isn't bad either if you're in a shady area.
We have a huge lake. But it's full of gators. :( We've gone in it a few times in the VERY heavily populated beach area, but I always get nervous when doing it so we've just stopped going completely.

Members online

No members online now.