Confused about classes.

Toller_08

I'd really like to start trialing in obedience with Dance, and my goal is to hopefully have her CD and/or RN titles by the end of this year/very beginning of next year. But I don't know what sort of classes I should take -- a beginners Rally class, or an advanced Obedience class? I don't think a Rally class would be beneficial to Dance at all as far as learning new behaviours go, but I'd feel more comfortable taking a Rally class before entering a trial so that I'd know for certain what all of the different signs/stations are and what they mean. I have a list of all the Rally stations, and they seem straightforward enough, but I'm sure there's something that would catch me off guard. And if I were to take an advanced Obedience class, Dance may in fact learn something new, but would I learn all I'd need to know for Rally as well?

Here's a list of what Dance knows (not including tricks, since those aren't relevant):

Sit
Down
Come
Stay
Wait
Stand
Front
And we're working on a more solid Heel (she's great at loose leash walking by my side, but I'm not sure she actually knows 100% what heel position is or not)

Does she need to know anything more for a CD or RN? Will she need to be reliable off leash for either? I don't trust her to heel off leash nicely yet... but like I said, we're working on it. If you were in my position (ie: totally new to the competitive dog world, but with a dog who knows the basics), would you take the beginners Rally class or the advanced Obedience class? Which would be more beneficial do you think?

elegy

overdogged
does dance know right and left finishes? you'll need both for rally.

personally i found rally class to be extremely beneficial. you learn to read signs and navigate courses. it helped me a lot to become comfortable moving through a course before i went out and did it "for real".

Toller_08

Forgot about those! Yes, she knows her left finish, and we're working on getting her right one a little better. :)

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I'd recommend an advanced obedience class, and take it a few times - it's a good way to prepare. Remember, even small things will get you dinged in obedience. my biggest problem will be handler error, of course! IMO, you want to make sure the dog is polished and proofed, including being in a "trial-like" environment and being used to doing things like long sits and downs with other dogs, without you in the room.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
For novice obedience, yes, she will need to be reliable off leash. Also, she needs to be able to do a stand for exam ~ the judge will touch them - usually the judge touches the top of the head, the wither area and the top of the back near the tail. Sometimes the judge will just run their hand down the dog's back.

She'll also need to know a finish.

I would suggest the obedience class. Most of rally is based on doodling exercises - heel seeking, pivots, backing, etc. Also, rally is less formal. As sizzledog pointed out, the obedience class would prep you for how to handle for the ring. IMO, rally is pretty easy after doing competition obedience.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I found rally classes helped give me confidence. While easy they also helped to outline the rules.. so you could make your game plan ahead of time if something goes wrong in the ring how to use it to your best advantage.

If doing CARO or APDT the rules are a little stricter and you NQ more easily. I can read the CARO online rules as many times as I'd like.. having a real person to talk to was easier.

That said.. I'd never take another rally class.. I self taught Cider advanced and excellent, and Smudge is now in novice. That one set of classes gave me the boost I personally needed.

Now Cider and I take competitive obedience classes when we can as I'm still not ready to tackle that ring. Our group stays need group practice.

Toller_08

Thanks you guys. :)

I talked with a trainer and she said that what I've taken class wise before was probably aimed more toward "pet dog training", eventhough it was called Novice Obedience. As in, they probably didn't teach proper movement into position properly (like a tuck sit) for the dog/owner whose goal is competitive obedience. So eventhough Dance knows her basics, she explained to me that she probably doesn't know them as precisely and accurately as she needs to for any sort of trialing. So tomorrow night Dance and I are starting with her formal obedience foundations class, which is aimed toward those wanting to compete with their dog. And then we'll go from there! I'm so excited -- I absolutely love going to dog classes, and it's been a long time since I've been enrolled in one.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Thanks you guys. :)

I talked with a trainer and she said that what I've taken class wise before was probably aimed more toward "pet dog training", eventhough it was called Novice Obedience. As in, they probably didn't teach proper movement into position properly (like a tuck sit) for the dog/owner whose goal is competitive obedience. So eventhough Dance knows her basics, she explained to me that she probably doesn't know them as precisely and accurately as she needs to for any sort of trialing. So tomorrow night Dance and I are starting with her formal obedience foundations class, which is aimed toward those wanting to compete with their dog. And then we'll go from there! I'm so excited -- I absolutely love going to dog classes, and it's been a long time since I've been enrolled in one.
Sounds about right.

And sounds like you're going to have loads of fun!! Enjoy and let us know how it goes!!

Toller_08

Enjoy and let us know how it goes!!
Tonight went great! Dance is such a fun dog to work with. She puts so much enthusiasm and effort into everything. I need to retrain her downs completely, but she's an eager student so I don't think it'll be too difficult. She was already almost getting it by the time we were finished with downs in the class. Her sits need work as well, as they're half and half (half tuck, half rock back), but the trainer said she's almost there and looks good, so teaching her to do a proper tuck sit won't be too hard. I can hardly wait to go back next week!

Members online

No members online now.