Different looking Goldens

Maxy24

yeah the different Goldens have always baffled me. i mean there are the color differences that you are showing there with the redder ones, but then there is also something in the head, like this one (my neighbor's look like this one)

and then this one:

is it just that one is not standard and the other is? and then yes the color

you have red ones:

and then ones that seem too white:

to me the first and second dog have the right color.

Why are there so many different ones? Is it mostly poor breeding?

bubbatd

There are so many different varieties of goldens today . I personally don't like the left one on the AKC site . Mine were a mixture of show and field Goldens ...field ones seem to have redder coats . If you go to a Golden National show ...in the benched area you'll see the much lighter , shorter legged ones ( Seger is a good example ) . Go to the obedience ring and they will be darker . The " pups for sale " dogs are more of a mixture of my breedings .

Labra

Yes, there are major variations within Goldens. But they are not the only breed. Labradors and various breeds of Spaniels, Setters and Pointers also have distinct margins between dogs bred for show, working and as pets.

A Canadian Champion

A working bred Golden:

Fran27

That, and that dogbreedinfo site will just post whatever picture you put of a dog, even if they come from puppy mills :rolleyes:

If you want to see the standard, check the AKC and the other clubs' sites.

Typically, work bred goldens usually have darker coats and those bred for shows have a lighter even white-ish color, are more fluffed up and as I think someone said tend to be shorter-legged.Im not sure why the work bred ones have a darker coat, did old Goldens used to look like this?

mrose_s

BusterLove
dogbreedinfo really does give crap pictures, look up "afador" (yep afghan/lab) and look at the picture they have for it. LOOK AT THAT DOGS FOOT!

I've seen a huge difference in godlens aswell, I ssaw one today, pretty shot and longish and slim

verderben

This pic is great. Thats some good breedin' there. Stupid people breeding mutts on purpose, casue you know there are no lab mixes in the pound that look just like this

Zife

This pic is great. Thats some good breedin' there. Stupid people breeding mutts on purpose, casue you know there are no lab mixes in the pound that look just like this

Too right, too right. How can that poor dog even walk?

I've seen many varieties of goldens, but not too many in my town. The ones I see are that nice golden color and the non-deformed head. There are SOOO many Golden BYB in the next town over though. :( The reds are from hunting lines, if I'm correct, and the lighter ones are from show lines?:rolleyes: Can't remember.

mrose_s

BusterLove
That was the "afador" i was talking about and the picture that made me relise how muhc of a crock dogbreedinfo can be

Paige

Let it be
My aunt had a lab that had the same type of gimpy leg that they refused to get removed. The dog dragged the leg but was a pretty happy dog. I thought it was rather dumb that they didn't do something about her leg though.

bubbatd

Wish I could show you my albums !!! Mine being a mixture of both show and working lines , were mainly what I considered the original true color .... reddish/golden .

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Show Goldens aren't always light coloured. I have a see red GOldens in the show ring for a few years now..

I dont think colour really has anythign to do with it. its all about Lines.. colour is genetic so if a certain line carries that gene.. then the pups have a chance of getting it.

Examples of darker show Goldens;

I do admit there ARE a lot more of the light coloured Goldens at shows.. but they definately aren't all light.

Members online

No members online now.