Lampshade e-collars

Well my sweet maxine just got spayed yesterday. The vet told me to put one of those lampshade type collars on her. I need to have it on for the next 10 days. Are there better options then the lampshades. It seems so cumbersome and annoying(to her and me). Thanks for any info
Deeppowder

bubbatd

It really depends on you and your dog . If you are around and can keep your dog from licking and chewing fine . Otherwise the "E "collar is needed . I've had one on many occasions over the years . Only you can assess the situation . I only used them when I wasn't watching .

elegy

overdogged
i wouldn't use it unless she's licking. most dogs leave surgery incisions alone, especially if they're on pain meds. if she is bugging it, use the lampshade or see if you can find a bitenot collar somewhere.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
My puppy never bothered her incision, so we never needed one. Did you try without one first?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
My friend put a t-shirt on her dog in the house over her dogs stitches so she couldn't lick them.

WHen Bear was neutered he wasn't happy with his e-collar either. BUt without it he would lick like crazy and find places to hide just so he could lick. For him it was a must to have it on. After the first couple days he got used to it. Then we had some complications and he had to go back for another surgery so he had to wear his e-collar for a total of 18 days. I thought he'd be misserbale but after he started feeling better it really didn't slow him down at all.

If you can keep your eye on your dog for every second I think it would be ok not to use it. It just depends on if your dog doesn't lick it area and if you can keep a close eye oh her.

Lilly has had two surgeries on her nose and has had to wear one. Poor girl, she didn't fit in her crate, had trouble eating and was tormented mercilessly by Mink. He would wait until she turned around and would rush up and nip her flank, knowing that she couldn't turn around and nail him like she wanted to. Try taking the collar off when you are with your dog and can watch to make sure he isn't licking. After a few days, Lilly was fine with her stitches and didn't need to wear it anymore.

Hen hates e-collars, but she'd eviscerate herself if left to her own devices. Whenever I was home, I'd take it off and leash her so I could keep an eye on her. I hate those collars too, they're miserable for the dog. I kept having to wipe them clean because even though she's not a drooler (I pity people with drooly dogs and e-collars) the thing was like a funnel to catch every sneeze, every drop of moisture, every food-staring-drool, and all her loose fur. It was filthy every single day until I wiped it off.

That said, better safe than sorry, and it's only 10 days. I'd leave it on when I wasn't home.

edited to say: Don't forget to check in her ears. In Hen's case, the humidity caused by her breathing inside a confined space did a job in her poor ears, which got very dirty very fast.

Members online

No members online now.