How does someone deal with breeding with animals peeing there mark on your furniture?

Kittypup

I was doing some reading on breeding and I understand that when you have the op. sex in the house they start peeing on everything.. How do breeders put up with that?

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Several ways. If they are prone to marking in the house, then they are confined when they cannot be watched. However, my breeding males never marked in the house ... unless there was a bitch in heat in the house, and then they would sometimes mark around her crate, but nowhere else. It depends on the dog.

not all unaltered males will mark in the house..malakai is not fixed yet and has NEVER marked in my house..my first dane tank, who was unaltered his whole life never marked inside either..totally depends on the dog

Kittypup

Well thats good to hear. I would like to mate my male Pug. One day. I just don't want to be afrade, I'm going to have a smelly home.

Kittypup

Strange. Its starting to rain on my happyness. :p So what do breeders do then? I'm sure they all don't have smelly homes.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Are you breeding to better the breed and are you showing your pug? With a small male dog like Colliewog said they can sometimes be dirtier than the larger breeds and mark. At least in my experiences. I have known people who have two dogs of the opposite sex and the male is intact and will sometimes lift his leg in the house. I wouldn't put up with that he would go to the vet to get neutered. How old is your pug? I have also heard that after you breed a male that they can start to mark in the house.

Kittypup

The pug is still a baby. I really don't know what the age is for mating. I have his papers. And I'm a full time house wife with no kids. So I was thinking being I payed 900. for him it might be nice to make some money back.
Hes only 12 weeks. I'm not saying I'm 100% sure that I will mate him.
I need to know everything to really make the right choice. As far as showing him. Hes a "ACA" I don't know if people show those dogs. I do know a couple whos looking for a stud. So I have a lot to think about.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Just because you paid $900 for him doesn't mean that breeding him is a good idea anyway. My friend paid $950 for her female pug and she is spayed. Pugs can have alot of breathing and health problems. Please do more research on breeding and keeping an intact male. You should also have health screening done before you breed him and make sure he hasn't any genetic health issues that he can pass on to his pups. I have a very handsome male ACD who I paid ALOT for but I would never think of breeding him just to get money back from what I paid. If I didn't want him to love than I wouldn't of paid the money I paid for him. If you stick around on Chazhound you will learn ALOT about responsible breeding and dog ownership. We can be your guide and you have plenty of time to learn *smile*

I agree. You really have to know what you are doing when you start to breed. Breeding should never be about making money. The majority of breeders actually lose a good amount of money with all that they put into the dogs and puppies, all the health tests and screenings and everything. There is a LOT to think about. Please don't breed just to make money, you won't and if you do then you are doing something wrong (I hate to tell someone they are doing something wrong but what I mean is that you are skipping out on something important if you are actually making money). Breeders rarely if ever even break even.

Breeders take years of studying and becoming experts of their particular breed before they even think about starting. Then they look for a mentor to help them along. Where did you get the dog? Did he come with breeding rights? If he came from a pet shop like in the mall or something he should never ever be bred because he came straight from a puppy mill and has a good chance of having a whole lot of genetic diseases and problems when he gets older.

This is really why it is so incredibly important to do all the proper health screenings before breeding. You don't want to pass disease and bad characteristics and other problems down to a whole new generation do you? Do the health screenings, all of them, this will be majorly expensive but you cannot conscienceously breed without it and risk those poor puppies health could you? This is also why breeders almost never come out on top.

rhinecat

There are no sanctioned shows, trials, etc. for the ACA, as it exists primarily for health tracking--however, I would dispute even that, since ACA puppies are available through pet stores, which are not in the business of selling healthy dogs.

Twelve weeks, or anything under two years, really isn't old enough to evaluate your dog's health, fitness for breeding, or temperament. It would be disastrous if you bred him at a year old, and then as he got older, you discovered he passed on a heritable disease to his puppies. Some of the standardized health tests, like OFA, can only be done once the dog is an adult and finished growing.

You also will want to show your dog, in AKC or UKC or another reputable registry's conformation shows. This gives you an objective evaluation of how closely your dog conforms to the breed standard, and whether breeding your dog to another excellent pug will produce pups that contribute positively to the breed as a whole. A purebred dog that isn't AKC/UKC registered can become registered by submitting certain documents to the registry organization, so this is still an option for you. Another way to prove that your dog is a good choice for breeding is to earn a high title in a dog sport, such as agility, flyball, or obedience. I recently went to a trial where a pug competed in advanced agility and was a great athlete. :)

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to make money selling puppies. It costs so much to raise them and care for the mother that it actually costs a lot, especially in pugs, where a c-section is sometimes needed for the mother to give birth.

To answer your original question, good housetraining and supervision prevents some house-marking, but toy dogs really are more prone to marking territory, especially when unneutered. So that's a good consideration on your part; that some marking might occur if you decide not to neuter your dog.

Kittypup

Yes, I'm sure theres tons to learn. I got this dog so it can be a life long friend to me. Yes the money did not really mattered. If he was 5,000. I might have got him just the same. Or if I got him for free the idea of mating would still be the same too. I love animals. Extra money is always nice. Finding homes for pugs is not that hard because lots of people love them. So the idea is harmless. But how will it afect my stress and home. Thats something to really think about. Honestly, I was thinking about getting an adult pug. Insted of the puppy that I have. But I said to my self.. Theres a lot of abused animals. I don't want a pet that can not trust his owner because of a bad past with someone else. If I rase him I know everything that has happend to him. I would never strike an animal. It would just get hugs and kisses. So I'm really tring to make it past the potty training stage to get to the fun loving play full dog I wanted. The idea of mating was just a big pluss. If I can handle it.

rhinecat

I definitely would encourage you to look into showing and other aspects of responsible breeding. Maybe you can find a good, experienced pug (or even another breed) breeder in your area who will be your mentor, and you could see what it would be like to breed dogs. If you contact your area's breed club, you can ask about finding a good breeder who would be willing to speak with you. :)

Pug Clubs: http://www.pugs.org/clubs.htm

Pug breeders in good standing with the breed club: http://pugs.org/indexbreeder.htm

Here is a helpful page: http://www.akc.org/breeders/resp_breeding/index.cfm

bubbatd

First of all ... unless your dog has proven himself and has all health checks you will not be sought out as a stud owner. If you advertise stud service , Joe Blow may be interested for $50. This will be a BYB , You will not make money off your baby at this point. Just enjoy and move on ! When I was breeding , I had 2 intact females and 2 intact males.( plus rescue and boarders ) I never bred both females at same time ( one was always retired ) ... all were related , so there was never any in breeding ... I NEVER had any marking in the house. Yes, the males would pee around the outdoor kennel , but this was natural . I would keep my female inside with all until a week into their heat .... then in kennel . You really have to know your dogs and be there 24/7 .

Last edited:

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
"ACA" I don't know if people show those dogs
Not really- this registry is used mostly by pet stores and puppymillers- so it doesn't bode well for his conformation prospects.

Still, if you're serious about breeding him, your first step in the right direction would be to get him registered with AKC or another like registry (as Rhinecat already pointed out), and get him in the conformation ring (where he can be evaluated by Pug judges), or at least into some performance events).

In all honesty, I think you'd have a LOT more fun getting your CURRENT dog involved in an activity you can both enjoy, rather than breeding him.

Agility would be fantastic. It will strengthen your bond, and is LOADS of fun for BOTH dog and handler. Should you decide to join an agility club, I can guarantee you'll make great friends, and have a wonderful new skill set you can be proud of. The physical activity does wonders for stress relief (in both dogs and humans), and all in all, you'll have a happier, more relaxed buddy.

While a performance event is likely to REDUCE the stress in your home, keeping an intact male is likely to INCREASE it. Intact males are generally less biddable. They're more prone to becoming "escape artists," so be sure your fencing is MORE than secure. They're attention is a lot more flighty, because let's face it...you'll never be more interesting to them than a bitch in heat. Be prepared to be virtually ignored when your male encounters a girl in season. The inconsolable whining, the drooling, the frenzied panting...when an intact male is within a couple of MILES of a bitch in heat, I've been there. And it ain't pretty. Annoying does not even BEGIN to cover it- and this behavior will last as long as the girl is in her heat cycle.

As far as marking- there's a really good chance that should you allow him to remain intact, he'll do it. There are special "doggie diapers" that some people use, but these are a hassle, and most breeders opt just to keep dogs and bitches separated.

Extra money is always nice
If this is true...I would shy away from breeding, LOL. If you're doing it RIGHT you will almost always LOSE money.

You'll need to get his hips tested (done at 2 years) by OFA. CERF testing is a must as well. If you don't know what the acronyms stand for yet- it'll be your duty to research that, BEFORE you breed your dog. It's part of being responsible for the lives you're bringing into the world.

And yes, while lots of people "love and want Pugs," lots of people DON'T want Pugs with hip dysplasia, seizures, cherry eye, luxating patellas, or progressive retinal atrophy. I see these guys in my local humane society on a WEEKLY basis- you can bet they were all the results of breedings done by people who didn't know about genetic health-testing, showing their dogs, or didn't care.

I'm not sure what the main genetic disorders in Pugs are, but you'll need to look them up and have him tested.

A canine brucellosis test is also a must. Sexually transmitted diseases DO occur in dogs, and brucellosis can cause a dog or bitch to become sterile, among other things.

Your puppy is very young- still a baby, and it sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. Do you really want to add all of the above? (Or worse- should you choose to forgo testing).

I think it would be a fantastic idea to get involved in some kind of an activity with your CURRENT dog. You sound like you want what's best for him, and you're striving to be a good owner. Show your pup you care about HIM, and get involved in something fun, like agility! ( I promise it's WAY less stressful than breeding!)

Hey guys I just wanted to say this is so far a very nice thread. I have actually learned a lot about how and what to tell people about the things they need to think about before breeding. I commented earllier but since then I have even learned a bunch. Now I just wish I had a dog to join a club with! My old Max is too old and fat hehe but I love him.

bubbatd

Yes ... I made some money !!! Bred for about 35 years and put every penny earned back into my breeding fund .....I ended up with about $300 .... I was lucky !!! That was eaten up plus $900 more when my female got brain cancer. I never went into breeding for financial reasons .... Yes, the Top dogs , as the top race horses , will glean from their laurels ..... but few from Chaz posters. If you have post !! I don't count 1st litters.....I'm talking " breeders " .

Kittypup

tempura tantrum said:
Still, if you're serious about breeding him, your first step in the right direction would be to get him registered with AKC or another like registry (as Rhinecat already pointed out), and get him in the conformation ring (where he can be evaluated by Pug judges), or at least into some performance events).
You can't just register with AKC. I been told by many. The blood line must be apart of the AKC. You need to find a dog that already has the AKC. You can't just walk in and get it.

So it sounds like theres more people against breeding then for it. Even if I knew every last thing there is to know about it. Even if I had the perfict place for it. Because lets face it. You guys don't know my home from adam.
So it's a bad idea. right.? I spoke to breeders before. They said that they enjoy it. However I did not know about the whole spraying thing. I just thought cats did that. I did not even give it much of a thought until I read about it. In a book.

Kittypup said:
So it sounds like theres more people against breeding then for it. Even if I knew every last thing there is to know about it. Even if I had the perfict place for it. Because lets face it. You guys don't know my home from adam.
So it's a bad idea. right.? I spoke to breeders before. They said that they enjoy it. However I did not know about the whole spraying thing. I just thought cats did that. I did not even give it much of a thought until I read about it. In a book.
No there are more people who are against breeding when the person has no idea what they are doing.

Kittypup

How many times do I have to tell everyone that I'm "looking into learning". If I learn can I get some respect? Gesh. I'm 26 not 13. I came on here to learn and insted, I feel like I'm more so tring to get permission. I'm an adult. I don't need anyones permission. If I'm going to do it. No one can stop me. But I have enough comen sence not to mess up my home, my life, and a living beings life. With out getting lots of advice. Thats the only reason I'm here.

Members online

No members online now.