Ok teach me cat people.

Ok so the topic now has been discussed and we are all in aggrience (except my brother but he doesnt count as he never deals with any of the pets) that we want a cat. We are going to adopt. probably a much older cat (around 10+ years old) We as a family have never ever had a cat. I live with my grandparents and they had cats, ohh say 55+ years ago. So basiclly lets start from scratch.
I know the very basics, litter box, yearly check ups and shots, toys (if they like them. their preference)Not to let it outside (atleast we dont belive a cat should be out. Unless leashed. And I doubt many cats tolerate that lol)

So lets go in to food. What would you recomend. I really dont have huge amounts of choices around me. petcetra, petsmart and a ma and pa shop not sure what they carry for cat food. I read they need wet. Is that correct? I figure cat food is as importent as dog food (meats first ect, correct)

Litter. Is there a best kind. Best kind of litter box?

Brushs. I belive we do have a "needle" tipped cat brush around I bought for blaze lol.

suppliment for hairballs?

Anything else specific?

specific collars? bells, yea/nah?

We are plain n00bs with cats. I feel silly asking so many questions. Since I know so much about dogs and study them so muchw hen some one asks me a "silly" question I think "Duh wasnt that obvious" lol.
We have seen a persian at the pet cetera here, he/she is 10 years old. we are going back to look at him tomorrow. I have tried to find him on petfinder, but can not, I guess he is not listed. He is so "ugly" he is cute. SOOO fluffy and in dierneed of a brushing. His 2 lower fangs hang out of his mouth lol.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Good Food - Petsmart sells By Nature, Wilderness, Avoderm, and Nutro Maxcat is ok, but not the best. My cats eat crap food because they don't like the By Nature or Wilderness. They like crap. But they are doing fine on it. If you want more variety of food than what Petsmart offers, you will have to find a speciality store or something. But the good foods are expensive.

Litter - there are many kinds of litter to choose from. We use clumping litter because its easier for us to scoop. One of my friends uses this litter that is made up of crystals. With this litter you scoop the poo, but the pee just gets soaked up by the crystals, and you change it when the crystals turn yellow or something. This litter has NO SMELL. Its great if you want no odor from your litter! Feline Pine is one that a lot of people like, but I haven't tried it.

Boxes - we use a regular square box with a liner. Covered boxes are useful if you have a cat that likes to kick his litter everywhere, and for keeping your dog out of the poo.

We never give our cats supplements for hairballs. That's something I would only do if your cat has a real problem with them.

The only thing I'll say about collars, is I reccomend breakaways so that your cat won't catch himself on something and strangle himself trying to get out of the collar. But try the breakway before you buy it, some of them break away TOO easily.

The Cat Site Forums is a good site about cats. Loads of information there. :)

Do not use clumping litter... it is very bad for your cat.

I have found the best kind of litter box is a BIG one... with the small ones my cats were always going over the edges.

I am assuming this will be an indoor only cat? if so no collar is necessary... cats like to get into wierd and small places...collars increase their chances of being strangled.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
why is clumping litter bad for your cat?
From what I hear, it can get up in their urinary tract and then expand from the moisture there, effectively blocking the urinary passage.

A few months ago that almost killed Inky.

From what I hear, it can get up in their urinary tract and then expand from the moisture there, effectively blocking the urinary passage.

A few months ago that almost killed Inky.
basically what she said.

The same way it clumps in the box, it can clump inside them (it gets inside them when they lick themselves)... it is very dangerous.

I know there are plenty of people who use it with no problem... but it only takes that one time.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I haven't tried pine... is it really odor absorbing?

Goober is on dry Royal Canin IE Intestinal per his vets instructions because he was having trouble with diarrhea so my vet added this diet as a higher fiber until his stools were better. He's normally been eating a dry Innova Evo

As for wet food he eats Wellness... they have ones that have blueberries and stuff in them to help protect against UTI's

Litter- Currently using fresh step... but SERIOUSLY seeking out a more odor absorbing alternative. I clean his litterbox every day, but even the slightest smell of cat urine makes me sick to my stomach.

Brushes- I just have a small slicker brush and a soft brush... I don't remember just what kind of slicker I have... I'll try and find a picture of it and the way the bristles are slanted to help him with shedding. I only brush him once or twice a week.

I'm not currently using a hairball suppliment since Goober hasn't had any problems with hairballs. Not sure what's a good brand... I'll leave that one to a vet or other chazzers.

Goober has a collar for now, but he's getting micro chipped and wont be having his collar anymore. Some cats just have way too sensitive skin (like Goober) and develop rashes if they wear collars too long. Goober only has his on during the day and it's off at night. Just in case he finds a way to get out.

You can definitely leash train your cats. Goober walks better then a lot of dogs I know on a leash... but he's not your typical cat. I don't know how much success you'd have leash training with an older cat though.

Anyways... I love to talk cats. Let me know if you have any other questions.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I haven't tried pine... is it really odor absorbing?
I never smell Inky's business, lol, I just smell the pine scent (which I love), and the litter box is in my bedroom. It's more odor absorbing than Yesterday's News, which is another that I like.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Food-I feed my stinkers By Nature they like it.

Litter-Really it all depends on the week and what I can afford as to what kitty litter. None of my cats will go in Feline Pine. And when I had Rooney he refused to use it as well. I try not to buy clumping litter though

Litter box- I use a big plastic sink pan it gets the job done and its cheap. All three cats use it no problem lol.

Brushes- The only cat I brush is Quincy because his is a Persian with long hair. I use a comb and brush on him.

Collars- all three of my cats wear collars just in case they get outside. They have bells and tags on their collars as well. Most cats are anal about collars though my three have no problems with them.

And none of my cats have ever had hairballs.

Thanks for all the information every one. Sorry for my cat newbiw questions lol. We were also talking about fostering aswell. Just incase one way or another we decide a cat isnt for us, or my grandma is allergic (she says she is. But has been around tons of her friends cats and has no issues) I emailed a place about fostering as well, we will say what they have to say. I would personally rather foster, so I know we are helping some cat out, but int he long run I bet we would all fall for it and just end up adopting it lol. My grandma and I are going to the petstore tomorrow to look at him, its shelter cats, no kitten mill kitties.

I just assumed all cats get crazy hairballs lol. The cat I seen and loved has hair about the same length and thickness of Blaze.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Yeah see with my Persian who has about the same coat as your talking about. Anyways with him it is general rule of thumb to brush him once a day everyday and to bath him every 2 weeks. He sheds a whole lot less that way and im sure helps him not have hair balls. It also helps because im allergic to cats. I still choose to have them. I pretty much sneeze or occasionally get itchy. Im not supposed to let them sleep with me but I don't care.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Elliot is on raw now, once a day he gets about a tsp of olive oil in his food to keep furballs at bay.
His litter is a mix of recycles paper pellets and clay or another soft type thing.
Omg that cat soudns liek the one I want, he's 2 years old in a shelter, his bottom teeth stick out. I'm in love with the guy/.

Maxy24

yay for adopting an older cat :D ok your questions...
Food: I feed Felidae dry and Wellness wet but basically all the brands good for dogs are good for dogs. With wet food you have even more options because they tend to have better ingredients than the dry food. And yes feed as much wet as possible money wise. Cats do not drink enough to stay completely hydrated which messes up their urine (not sure the logistics of it and everything) and help to cause UTIs and crystals/blockages in the urinary tract.

Litter. Is there a best kind. Best kind of litter box?
As people said clumping litter CAN be dangerous but if you get a clumping litter without sodium bentonite it should be safe. One brand without that is Cat's Pride. As for litter boxes I would just get your standard box, not covered or automatic scooping or any of that just make sure it's big enough for her to comfortably dig and squat without hanging over the edge.
Brushs. I belive we do have a "needle" tipped cat brush around I bought for blaze lol.
I have short haired cats so I use a rubber brush (IME nothing works better on a short haired cat, with metal brushes the hair just moves around the pins) but for long haired cats I have no idea but I've heard the furminator is popular.

suppliment for hairballs?
Not unless you start to have problems, just be sure to brush a lot to prevent them in the first place.

Anything else specific?
Get a few different types of scratching posts. Some cats like to scratch vertical, some horizontal. Some like carpet others like cardboard, rope or wood. If you get a vertical post make sure it's taller than your cat when he's fully stretched (hard to find, that's why I have a cat tree). Start getting her used to having her feet handled if possible so you can clip them eventually.

specific collars? bells, yea/nah?
Mine don't wear collars but if you worry about escape get them a break away collar with ID tag but do NOT get a regular non break away collar since they tend to get strangled a lot on them.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I will disagree on the collar issue. I have never found a breakaway collar that my cats can't get out of. In fact, they get out of them intentionally, either using their paws to hook the collar, or delibrately hanging it on something and yanking. After loosing inumberable collars and tags in various parts of the house, I went to regular collars.

They have worn toy-sized leather dog collars for years, without incident. Hwoever, two caveats . . . they are adults (13 and 7 now, and another who was 11 when he died of kidney failure) and they are strictly indoors. They know the house, know where not to get hung up, and have the judgement of adult cats. I would NOT put one on a kitten or an outdoor cat.

That said, I'd get a cheap breakway and have him wear it until he learns to get it off. By that time he'll know his turf. Then get one of those nice rolled leather dog collars they sell at Petsmart and put it on loosely . . . tight enough it can't come off casually, but loose enough that he could slip it if really, really determined to do so.

Why do they wear collars if strictly indoors? Because they CAN slip outdoors . . . and those collars will bring them home.

Thank you all for the information. As I think about it now I think i went over my head in thinking a cat doesnt need much stuff. I doubt i will beable to get the older cat i wanted. UNLESS he is still up for adoption in 2 weeks. I didnt think of all the supplies I will need. And I really wont have all the money for supplies AND a cat (cat is around 100 bucks with tax) AND a vet visit when I first get it. Until about 2 weeks from now. I still want to adopt a older cat. Kittens are adorable, but they grow up to fast, i would rather a older guy/girl to just 'relax" with so to say. I will update this more when I do get a cat, or when I do go shopping for one. Thanks for the help.

Members online

No members online now.