PetLand

Hello, new user aboard.

My mom recently purchased a Cock-a-Poo for my birthday over two weeks ago from PetLand. This being our first puppy, we didn't know that PetLand is such a "horrible" place. The puppy is still doing great and she's very playful AND social. I was just wondering, however, with all the horror stories of people's puppies dying after being purchased from PetLand, does this mean mine will die early too? It makes me sad knowing that. She's eating healthy, has no worms, and loves wagging her small stump of a tail when guests come over. Normal, right? Do all puppies from PetLand start out this healthy and then die? :(

Is there anything I can do to help her stay healthy even if she was supposedly raised in a puppy mill? What if I just keep her healthy and let her meet other puppies (she's starting an obedience class at Petsmart next week for small-breed puppies) to keep her social? Will regular vet checks and shots keep her from dying a year from now? It's just so sad seeing how many people on the internet say our choice was bad... Please help!!!

Fran27

Don't worry. The main reason why people spread those stories is to discourage people from buying from pet shops because they don't want to encourage puppy mills. Yes, puppies from pet shops will have more health problems, but they won't necessarily die young. I've never met anyone who bought a pet from a petshop who had any problem actually.

I have heard horror stories of puppy mills puppies dying young, but definitely not all will, just like not all reputable breeder puppies will live long lives.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Actually, I went to PetLand before I bought Rocky.

The prices are unreal. I'm glad I got a great pup from a breeder at a reasonable price.

And like Fran said, those are stories people use to discourage puppy mills. Although, a lot do have more health problems, I still don't think they would die at an early age.

Barb04

Super Moderator
OK, many will agree that buying from a pet store isn't a good idea, but you already have your puppy so let's just concentrate on your puppy now. The best thing for you to do is be a responsible owner by giving her good food, regular vet check-ups, and the training which you are doing. These things will help her in life. Also, give her all the love you have which in turn she will give you all of her love. What's your puppies name?

Barb04 said:
OK, many will agree that buying from a pet store isn't a good idea, but you already have your puppy so let's just concentrate on your puppy now. The best thing for you to do is be a responsible owner by giving her good food, regular vet check-ups, and the training which you are doing. These things will help her in life. Also, give her all the love you have which in turn she will give you all of her love. What's your puppies name?
She's been to the vet already and she's in perfect health! My mom named her Poochie and the puppy already recognizes it as her name. She's starting training classes at PetsMart next week.

Read up on the threads in the Food forum - paying special attention to anything Mordy posts! Good nutrition is your first and best line of defense for your puppy's health.

Members online