Is it too soon for him to be protective?

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
Hi guys!
:D

We live on a military base, so we have to come through a guarded gate every time we drive home from off base. Today I had Buster, our 9 week old Pit/Lab mix, on my lap as we approached the gate. As the gate guard reached out to grab my ID card, Buster showed teeth and gave a low rumbling growl. The guard jerked his hand back and was like, "nice doggy." I couldn't believe it...I mean, we haven't even had him for two weeks yet. He barks at people at our front door, but this gate incident is what prompted me to ask...is it too soon for Buster to be showing protective instincts? Has he known us long enough?
:confused:

Thanks...
Mike

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
It's funny you should say that, because we have him around people/other dogs all the time...every single day! He doesn't act like that when we approach strangers on foot...he's just as loving with them as he is with us. Maybe because the guard was reaching into our space?
Hmm...

mojozen

bullie lover
My pit mix doesn't like anyone to reach into or near our car. I hadn't had him 2 months when we had an incident where a homeless man tried to reach into my car while i was at a stoplight to grab a box of cookies off my passenger side street when I wouldn't give him money. Mojo went ballistic from where he was in the back seat.

Ever since then he's been very protective of the car when he is in it with me.

mojozen

bullie lover
Oh i should add to my story - Mojo didn't attack the man (no biting) he just snarled and lunged forward. Since then I am still able to go through drive thrus with him with me, but he still will get tense during the transaction...

Perhaps next time you shouldn't have your puppy in your lap, and keep him on either the seat next to you or in the back seat. This will be safer for all involved.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Personally, I would be highly concerned with this behavior in a 9 week old puppy.

IMO it's inappropriate for a puppy that age.

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
Really??? Hmm...well, we got video of him doing it today which I'll be posting up as soon as I'm done editing it. We also tried keeping him in the back seat, but he still growled at the guard from there. Maybe we're making this sound worse than it really is...the video will help you guys help us.
:)

R

RedyreRottweilers

I really don't think that any normal 9 week old puppy should be growling at anyone or any body. Puppies this age are supposed to be open and happy with all people.

I would be concerned about his background, I would discourage the behavior, and I would seek out training class and neutering VERY EARLY.

The next time this happens, I would ask the guard if you can take the puppy out of the car for a visit, while having the person give the puppy treats. Then put him back in the car for more treats.

This is a PROBLEM BEHAVIOR that needs to be addressed.

Just imagine for a moment 6 months down the line and the dog growling at YOU for some imagined offense.

JMO as always.

Make sure your puppy understands that that kind of aggressive behavior is unacceptable. My Min-Pin pup used to display that same kind of aggression with dogs and other people, and the one thing that has really helped him is his playgroup we go to 3 times a week. I don't know if that would be an option for you, but it's good to get your dog familiar with other dogs and people. If nothing else, maybe take him to a park a few times a week and get him used to people walking by and being close to him.

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
I actually already considered pulling over and letting Buster out to see the guard and get acquainted with him/her. This only happens while we're in the car...he's open and loving to everyone and every dog we see out in public.

Anyway...here's the video: http://members.cox.net/mikeishome/Barking.wmv (1.3MB)

Should I just give a firm "NO!" when he does this?

R

RedyreRottweilers

Okay, I see several things.

I see a puppy alert barking. I hear giggling (a no no) and I see gentle hands on the puppy which he will interpret as praise. (also a no no)

I would have taken the collar, and said AH AH!! QUIET.

#2) the puppy should not be riding on your lap in the car like that. This makes it more likely that he will demonstrate bratty possessive behavior like he did when you stopped at the guard station, plus it is VERY DANGEROUS. In the event of an accident, or even sudden braking, the puppy will be at your feet interfering with the gas and brakes. His likilhood of injury is MUCH greater outside a crate in a vehicle. Get a crate or a car seatbelt, and use it.

When dogs present inappropriate behaviors, you have to make consequences for those behaviors. Remember what Cesar says? Rules, boundaries, and limitations.

When an undesireable behavior presents, interrupt it immediately. Then redirect the puppy to another behavior that you DO desire.

You unwittingly gave responses to the puppy that will cause this behavior to be MORE likely to happen again. I would set the puppy up to demonstrate this behavior, nip it in the bud, and show him how you expect him to behave. I would also have people coming up to your vehicle and feeding him treats through the window.

This sort of behavior is incorrect for labs or APBTs. It's up to you to change it, he's a baby puppy, a clean slate so to speak, so he will behave as YOU shape him to.

:D

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
Great advice, thanks!
I would have intervened, but I wanted you guys to see his entire behavior...I will be sure to use your suggestions ASAP. Thanks for taking the time to watch and help.
:)

Doberluv

I agree with Redyre. This is very odd for that young of a pup. Puppies usually don't know enough or haven't had enough experiences in life to have this behavior. He may not be acting protective at all, but instead, he's taking matters into his own paws. You need to make sure that he knows you've got things under control and you are his leader....he doesn't make those kinds of decisions at all. He needs to walk behind you when on the leash and you need to stand tall and be very confident. He needs to earn things he likes and be rewarded for good behavior. I really think you should consult a reputable behaviorist. This may be poor breeding or even a medical issue. It's very odd and something to take action about asap. Lots of socializing with pleasant associations is really needed. Let us know and best wishes.

moo

I keep reading the socialization answer. We take him to a dog park about 4 or 5 times a week. He plays very well with the other dogs there. We took him to PetSmart with us last night. Again, he was very good with the other dogs in the store. I mean all of them. He has NEVER had an aggressive attitude with any other dog (he's been exposed to many) or to any other person (outside of the car). As far as his breeding, he was adopted by us from a friend because they found him abandoned out in the country. We are the only family this little pup has known and I think it may not be so odd that he feels strongly for the family that saved his life. He was near death when he was found and his new family gives him so much love. We will, however put your training tactics into practice and not perpetuate this bahavior. Thanks for the suggestions and input.

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
Well we took your advice on the car ride. We drove through the gate (I circled around on the way out just to try the guard advice from you) with Buster in the back seat and he started to bark, so I immediately grabbed his collor and gave him a firm "NO!" He rumbled a little more so I repeated my action and he stopped. I handed the guard a treat and Buster took it from him willingly through the window. :) We went to Sonic and the same thing occurred, but the barking wasn't as bad. On our way back through the gate, Buster looked at the guard but didn't stand up or even give out a small grumble. So we gave him praise and love and he gave it right back.
;)

Members online

No members online now.