Breastfeeding in public

SaraB

but to some mothers its not that. Just sayin' Its so not that out while we are with friends or what not its strictly feeding her. She also eats often enough we arent missing any bonding with it. LOL
Missed the main point. It makes me uncomfortable, don't force me into a conversation while doing it.

darkchild16

We are Home.
oh I dont usualy because I hate talking to people when im out unless im at my friends house and shes used to it. I was just making fun of the fact that its ALWAYS more then feeding when it really isnt for some moms :)

darkchild16

We are Home.
It was stated by multiple people and one person said they are the ones that make a big deal about its JUST feeding. Yours happened to be the last one said. I only have one free hand and it was easy.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Missed the main point. It makes me uncomfortable, don't force me into a conversation while doing it.
Yeah at least the way I read it, this was kind of the main issue in the OP. Not having a problem with breastfeeding as a whole but being uncomfortable witnessing it...and then being unable (by the nature of her job) to simply distance herself from it because the client insists on having a conversation while breastfeeding.

I mean maybe the woman has no idea that she's making others uneasy...I don't know, I'm not in the situation. Obviously those who ARE in the situation are uncomfortable with it and have every right to feel that way.

Paige

Let it be
I do not get the logic of well, lots of natural thigns like crapping and sex aren't allowed in public. Why are we comparing it to acts that have nothing to do with it? Are you allowed to eat in public? YES! So why can't an infant?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'd feel uncomfortable if someone I wasn't close with initiated conversation with me while breast feeding.

I feel the same way if I'm in a bathroom stall peeing and the person next to me starts talking. I'll do my personal business, you can do yours, but we don't need to talk while doing it!

SaraB

I'd feel uncomfortable if someone I wasn't close with initiated conversation with me while breast feeding.

I feel the same way if I'm in a bathroom stall peeing and the person next to me starts talking. I'll do my personal business, you can do yours, but we don't need to talk while doing it!
LOL! Yes! So makes me uncomfortable. And I'm allowed to say that.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I do not get the logic of well, lots of natural thigns like crapping and sex aren't allowed in public. Why are we comparing it to acts that have nothing to do with it? Are you allowed to eat in public? YES! So why can't an infant?
I think the point they are trying to make is that to them, breastfeeding results in the same sort of uncomfortable feeling that would occur if you happened upon two people having sex somewhere unexpected. Yeah it's "natural", but they don't want to see it and feel they shouldn't be asked to do so.

At least that's the way I'm reading it.

JacksonsMom

LOL, yes, I hate that!

Paige

Let it be
I think it's totally fine to be uncomfortable around breastfeeding. Yes it's normal. Doesn't mean it can't wig you out. Lot's of every day rituals people have gross me out. Just because something bothers you though doesn't mean it should have to go into hiding. You can either walk away or just let that person know that holding a conversation while they nurse DOES make you uncomfortable, and you'd prefer to resume after they are done.e

darkchild16

We are Home.
I think it's totally fine to be uncomfortable around breastfeeding. Yes it's normal. Doesn't mean it can't wig you out. Lot's of every day rituals people have gross me out. Just because something bothers you though doesn't mean it should have to go into hiding. You can either walk away or just let that person know that holding a conversation while they nurse DOES make you uncomfortable, and you'd prefer to resume after they are done.e
:hail::hail:

I am not offended if you would like to resume talking after but dont tel me to hide or cover her. And for the love of god if you have no experience with it dont try to tel me do x instead. Breastfeeding isnt easy and people who have NO experience with it really has no clue. If you have researched it and heard this or that has worked for others and maybe it would help thats one thing but totel me to DO THIS with no clue yeah leave me the f alone.
ETA: Its basically like someone telling you that you have to feed raw their way without doing research.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
:hail::hail:

I am not offended if you would like to resume talking after but dont tel me to hide or cover her. And for the love of god if you have no experience with it dont try to tel me do x instead. Breastfeeding isnt easy and people who have NO experience with it really has no clue. If you have researched it and heard this or that has worked for others and maybe it would help thats one thing but totel me to DO THIS with no clue yeah leave me the f alone.
ETA: Its basically like someone telling you that you have to feed raw their way without doing research.
I think we're reading 2 different threads here :confused:

It would make me uncomfortable if someone was trying to have a conversation with me while they were breastfeeding. Its not an "ewww, gross" thing, more of an "intruding" thing. Whether or not the mother feels its bonding time, or just eating time, I would still feel like I'm intruding, and that makes me uncomfortable.

However, babies crying/screaming is one of the absolute worst sounds in the world - I'd much rather be around a breastfeeding baby than a loud baby.

SaraB

I totally agree. However, the OP did not have this option and she was venting about the uncomfortable feeling she was forced into.

darkchild16

We are Home.
More like Ive heard that 10 million times because breastfeeding belongs in private and isolation.
Like the pumping and feed thing NOT everyone can do it. Believe me I would much prefer it in public but my breasts dont work that way sadly .

Paige

Let it be
Conversation stemmed off of it. I can understand why the OP finds it uncomfortable. I don't think it makes her a horrible person. I wonder if it could simply be said you have lots of kids to watcha nd can't chat? That way you don't have to talk to her while she is nursing?

I do think if you work in a day are setting you should expect to see and converse with breastfeeding moms. You may be uncomfortable and thars fine but it is not on the mom to stop.

Members online