I need some advice

hildemor

Cavalierfriend
Hey everybody!

It has been a long time since I visited this page, because I decided not to get me a new puppy. But now I have changed my nind again, and as long as my economic situation do not change, I will get me a puppy this spring.

But. I have one question for you.

I allready have got a male Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and have now been thinking of getting a female CKCS. The problem is that my Mico is a horny boy, and I guess it will be quit wild conditions during the heat.

Have you got some good suggestions of what to do without sterilize Mico?

Debi

Nope, get your little boy neutered. Unless you plan on puppies??? But my suggestion is to get your boy neutered now.

hildemor

Cavalierfriend
But I do not really want to do that. Cut his balls of...it is too dramatic....

I need some more information about it first.

If the only thing holding you back is the surgery or the thought of doing this to him......you def. need to rethink the situation. It truly isn't an intrusive surgery-much less pain than for a female. In fact, it is much more responsible to spay or neuter your dogs than not to. Honestly, I consider it more of a duty as a pet owner.

Debi

believe me, at first I had the same fears about neutering as you...and I worried it was soooo invasive. But, it just isn't so. It wasn't a big deal at all...he 'looks' the same....and he is the same loveable guy, only now I don't have the 'lookin for love' issues to deal with. We came home from the surgery, and he was my usual boy the very next day. Nothing to fear. I pondered it for a couple months after he was of age......then decided to go ahead. Best decision I ever made. It really is best for his health. :)

candy722

You can neuter him or spay her. Even if you neuter him it still doesn't stop him from humping her. You will still need to live watching both of them humping. IF you don't want to I guess you can put diapers on both of them. hehe

Yes...I agree...my male Doxie didn't act any worse for the wear. He was running around like nothing had happened to him. I had to insist that he lay quietly.

Saje

Island dweller
There really isn't any reason not to spay or neuter your dogs. There are so many animals killed every day from accidental pregnancies. Don't think that you pup won't jump the fence and be responsible for a few "accidents" himself occassionally!

Your dog will not be running around thinking with his "dumb stick" (sorry guys) anymore. He will be easier to train, easier to handle (this varies with different dogs), he will be happier less stressed out and you can rest easy knowing that you have helped all of the suffering animals at rescues just a little. Because every litter of four that your pup helps create is four puppies that won't be adopted out of a rescue. Or that will end up in a rescue if they aren't adopted.

This is a good article about it http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-1924.html

sorry it's a dummies.com! That doesn't reflect my opinion of you. ;)

I agree with the prior posts. I have always spayed/neutered any of my furpals and none of them have had a problem during or after. It really is a decision that not only eliminates the accidental pregnancies or isolation for one of them when the female is in heat but it will honestly greatly reduce the chance of some rather serious and life-threatening medical conditions as they get older. Getting rid of the tremendous urges that present themselves if they aren't "fixed" will also ultimately make them much happier dogs as well as make your life with them less complicated. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
There is an added bonus to having a neutered male, the desire to hick one's leg on everything is diminished, at least in my experience. The urine is not as rank. My neighbor's dog came over to play with Victor every day and he was quite the marker. Since I garden he did considerable damage...I figured it more important that Vic have a romp and the ferns and such would grow back. It did make me appriciate more that Vic is a one tree man. Vic had a rough night the first night he was fixed but the next day he was romping and happy. He had a reaction to the gas and that was the hardest part. Neutering decreases your dog's chance of having cancer, and the vet advised me to have it done before they are five years old if not sooner. Just thought I'd put my two cents in.

Members online

No members online now.