Wound on the snout...

Okay here's the problem:

My dog has this wound on his snout (directly above his back teeth) and he keeps scratching it, which is obviously making it worse. He's had this same problem before about 2 years ago and what I did that time was put an elizabethan collar on him till the wound healed up. He didn't enjoy that much so this time I hope to resort to that method only as a last resort.

I have thought about using a bandage of some sort but I don't see how it's possible to wrap it on his snout without closing his mouth shut.

Any suggestions?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
hmm... I can only think of the dog cone collars to put on him. Thats more then likely what a vet would put on him..

hmm.. only other suggestion would be to wrap his foot in something soft that he keeps scratching it with lol

ledoc

Afraid to say but the Elizabethan collar is the only way to go. The sooner the wound is left alone to heal, the faster the healing takes place and the faster life gets back to normal. Bandaging the offending foot etc does not work because (a) he can still disrupt wound healing with the bandaged paw and (b) he doesn't need to use that paw to scratch with - he has 3 others plus a range of walls, ground surfaces etc he can rub on.

I agree with Boxer Mom. I would say first get it looked at. Something has caused the wound. It isn't uncommon to have allergic dermatitis reactions in that area, but a tooth abscess is also a stong possibility. There may be something else to do besides keeping him away from it.

thanks for the replies...

I guess I will just take him to the vet then and in the mean time I'll slap on that elizabethan collar that he likes ever so much... I think the wound started most likely because of dry/itchy skin (due to the dry winter up here in Canada).... he's been scratching a few spots on his face that end up bleeding but usually heal up fast and they're never as serious as this one.....

Anyways, thanks for the advice and I'll have him checked up soon enough...

bubbatd

A agree with the elizabethan collar..... as much as I hate them !

Members online