Returning a dog to the breeder - Questions/Rant

I remember that. I cry every time I think about her, too. I never met Jazz in person, like I did Cleo, but I am so grateful to you and Linda for loving them so much.

When you are the Fila's, and the Fila is yours, that's it, pure and simple.

yoko

for someone who wants a low maintanence, independent pet that doesn't need a whole lot of attention.
I think saying this about any pet is a really easy way to set up a fail. Yes some pets are more independent but to say they don't need a whole lot of attention... I'm sorry but why get an animal if interaction with it isn't something you want?

For me pet ownership is about bonding with an animal and interacting with it. I know there are pets with limited interaction but for those I don't think I'd say most were low maintenance.

I have honestly never met a low maintenance cat. Even my friends cat who HATES people and could probably go it's entire life without seeing them is pretty high maintenance and that's just care and not including interacting with him.

I think saying that cats are independent, low maintenance, and don't need much attention does a huge disservice to cats and gets them into hands of people who shouldn't have a pet in the first place because they see them as a 'feed and go' house ornament.

Barbara!

I think saying this about any pet is a really easy way to set up a fail. Yes some pets are more independent but to say they don't need a whole lot of attention... I'm sorry but why get an animal if interaction with it isn't something you want?

For me pet ownership is about bonding with an animal and interacting with it. I know there are pets with limited interaction but for those I don't think I'd say most were low maintenance.

I have honestly never met a low maintenance cat. Even my friends cat who HATES people and could probably go it's entire life without seeing them is pretty high maintenance and that's just care and not including interacting with him.

I think saying that cats are independent, low maintenance, and don't need much attention does a huge disservice to cats and gets them into hands of people who shouldn't have a pet in the first place because they see them as a 'feed and go' house ornament.
I mean in the way for people who may work a lot, and want a pet they can interact with when they get home... Not for someone who purposely neglects their animal. I have a friend who works 12+ hours a day and his cat has worked out perfectly for him. And cats are low maintenance in general, compared to other animals. I'm not saying it as a statement by itself, but as a comparison. Compared to a dog, a cat is a lot less needy. (In general.)

Xandra

When people say cats are low maintenance they don't mean they are air plants. They also don't mean it as a law... of course there are cats that are totally nuts... they are living things, there are no hard laws.

I've had a highly annoying cat that kept me awake all night knocking crap over, trying to smother me, crying etc if you didn't wake up to service him. However I haven't met another cat like him. Other cats I've had slept, ate, wandered around a bit, slept some more, climbed to some place high where they could watch stuff, slept, cuddled, attacked stuff/me. Really they were easy easy animals and that goes for most cats I know. I never thought to myself "you really have to get home to attend to the cat's needs" (can't recollect ever hearing that) and nobody ever had a problem.

Not the same with a dog. You have to let it out, train it, you have to sacrifice time out of your day to walk it.

I've always free fed cats and never had a weight problem but I know that doesn't work for everyone. If it does that's one more thing you don't have to worry about. And of course you spend time cuddling, playing with it etc but neither myself nor anybody I know has had to set aside time specifically for their cat.

Last edited:

Shakou

This on so many levels. My cat could take care of himself, sure, but without the human interaction and attention he'd die.

yoko

I'm actually reading the thread "Only working dogs are real dogs" and here are some quotes from it that I think explain it pretty well

I really take umbrage to people who get cats and TREAT them like they are...um...ornaments, and then judge them as ...ornaments. If you treat cats like they are not there, they will do what they have to do to adapt. It all has to do with how you raise them, same as dogs. They do have self respect, and all the more, it's a serious compliment when they love you. Some people have a problem with that, because for a cat to love you, you have to actually earn its trust. But once you do...it's a great experience.
Yeah, actually "ornaments" is exactly how a lot of people treat cats! If you expect them to be aloof and never try to make friends with them then of course they'll be aloof and cool towards you.

Barbara!

When people say cats are low maintenance they don't mean they are air plants. They also don't mean it as a law... of course there are cats that are totally nuts... they are living things, there are no hard laws.

I've had a highly annoying cat that kept me awake all night knocking crap over, trying to smother me, crying etc if you didn't wake up to service him. However I haven't met another cat like him. Other cats I've had slept, ate, wondered around a bit, slept some more, climbed to some place high where they could watch stuff, slept, cuddled, attacked stuff/me. Really they were easy easy animals and that goes for most cats I know. I never thought to myself "you really have to get home to attend to the cat's needs" (can't recollect ever hearing that) and nobody ever had a problem.

Not the same with a dog. You have to let it out, train it, you have to sacrifice time out of your day to walk it.

I've always free fed cats and never had a weight problem but I know that doesn't work for everyone. If it does that's one more thing you don't have to worry about. And of course you spend time cuddling, playing with it etc but neither myself nor anybody I know has had to set aside time specifically for their cat.
Good post.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I know quite a free people who work 12+ hours a day and who have dogs. I know plenty of people who free feed their dogs and their dog is at a healthy weight.

M

MyHorseMyRules

I've had a highly annoying cat that kept me awake all night knocking crap over, trying to smother me, crying etc if you didn't wake up to service him. However I haven't met another cat like him. Other cats I've had slept, ate, wandered around a bit, slept some more, climbed to some place high where they could watch stuff, slept, cuddled, attacked stuff/me. Really they were easy easy animals and that goes for most cats I know. I never thought to myself "you really have to get home to attend to the cat's needs" (can't recollect ever hearing that) and nobody ever had a problem.

This. Cats ARE typically easier than dogs. You don't have to rush home to let them out. When you're sick, you don't have to suck it up and take them for a walk anyhow. They're typically going to run you less money as far as food and such. Jeeze, people, get your panties out of a wad. No one's saying you should get a cat and never do anything with it because, "Hey, it's just a cat..." And I certainly am not saying Jairi should get a cat. But yes, cats ARE typically going to be easier to care for than dogs.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Can't remember the last time I went pee alone. Cider can push the door in to check on me.. Smudge 2-3x a potty pushes the door to make sure I didn't leave via the magic door. Kerri's JRT girls feel the need to sit on my lap on the toilet.. and Arson now wants half his body in my lap and won't let me enter the bathroom without him..

Doberluv

This. Cats ARE typically easier than dogs. You don't have to rush home to let them out. When you're sick, you don't have to suck it up and take them for a walk anyhow. They're typically going to run you less money as far as food and such. Jeeze, people, get your panties out of a wad. No one's saying you should get a cat and never do anything with it because, "Hey, it's just a cat..." And I certainly am not saying Jairi should get a cat. But yes, cats ARE typically going to be easier to care for than dogs.
I think some of us (myself included) think that cats might make a better pet for someone who wants a little less work and involvement. That is not to say a cat is fine for someone who has no time to care for and love, be social with. No one is saying it's okay to have a cat and ignore it completely and certainly it's not okay to let it starve. They're social animals. Some aren't as much as others. But many cats love cuddling and hanging out with their families.

They don't require training to be a nice pet. Dogs really do. They don't need to be taken for a walk. Dogs thrive on taking walks or some form of exercise and romping. They can have a litter box that lasts for quite a while if you're gone over the week end. And they often times free feed okay. I had one cat though, that would eat the whole thing. He was a piglet.

Anyhow, here's the thing that I think might make some of us see a difference between a more dependent, attention hog: the dog and a less dependent, care-for-himself a little better: the cat is......that some think the cat is in the process of becoming domesticated. Or if the cat is already domesticated, it happened much more recently than the dog. The dog and human, it is thought had a convergent evolution that began a lot further back in history. This evolving right alongside each other and influencing each other's own evolution makes the dog much more attached at the hip to us, I think. They're genetically designed to live with people by way of this converging evolution. The whole human dog thing is really quite phenomenal. Domestic dogs are a total phenomenon in themselves.

So while I don't think cats should be starved, ignored, left to their own devices, I think they're easier as a pet for busy people on the go than dogs might be. They still thrive on attention, companionship and love....at least I'd say the majority of them. Some are so independent, they really don't have time for their people. I've seen plenty of those. I was lucky in that all the cats I've had (5) were really very sociable and just great companions.

However....I don't think Teal should have any animal because there's something really wrong and no animal should ever be subjected to what this fila puppy was.

Shakou

lol who's getting their "panties in a wad"? All I'm saying is (and this comes from 30 years experience of owning both cats and dogs) cats require just as much maintenance as dogs, it's just they require it in different areas, and it's usually the people who think otherwise that get them and then end up dumping them in a shelter. A "low maintenance pet" is a betta fish, not a dog or cat.

Lyzelle

Betta aren't really low-maintenance either. I've seen a lot of bettas die slow, diseased or starving deaths because people thought that.

Fact of the matter is...no pet is really low maintenance. Except to those people who don't care to give quality care because it's "Just a....[blank]".

Members online

No members online now.