What are you working on?

Sekah

The Monster.
I've been working off-and-on on a dog catch. Cohen gets it. I unfortunately don't really. Tricks where the handler needs to do more than the dog are ... hard.

[YOUTUBE]RkiDCL5_Hw8[/YOUTUBE]

This is what it's supposed to look like when it's all done. I'm kind of hoping to use this during performance shows as Cohen is coming off a course. Flashy. :3

[YOUTUBE]uVbSK22gkZE[/YOUTUBE]

DJEtzel

I just want him to spind on the **** bowl. He's doing so much better... for a while it was like training a brick.

[youtube]JeNwEjBz_4c[/youtube]

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I've been working off-and-on on a dog catch. Cohen gets it. I unfortunately don't really. Tricks where the handler needs to do more than the dog are ... hard.

[YOUTUBE]RkiDCL5_Hw8[/YOUTUBE]

This is what it's supposed to look like when it's all done. I'm kind of hoping to use this during performance shows as Cohen is coming off a course. Flashy. :3

[YOUTUBE]uVbSK22gkZE[/YOUTUBE]
Ummmm that's awesome. Seriously. I think it looks way better than you think it does - if you went out right now and did that as the end to a performance, people would be impressed. It just needs some cleaning up and tightening up when you're really reviewing it as a training thing, but it's really nice already.

($%@ I want a dog catch so bad with P, but more than that I really want an agility dog who doesn't suck so the fun tricks are getting put on the backburner a bit. Sigh.

Sekah

The Monster.
Ummmm that's awesome. Seriously. I think it looks way better than you think it does - if you went out right now and did that as the end to a performance, people would be impressed. It just needs some cleaning up and tightening up when you're really reviewing it as a training thing, but it's really nice already.

($%@ I want a dog catch so bad with P, but more than that I really want an agility dog who doesn't suck so the fun tricks are getting put on the backburner a bit. Sigh.
Thank you!!! I was a bit surprised when I watched the video since it looked slightly better than it felt.

And I've heard you talk about prioritizing agility over tricks, but you can do boooooth. Heck, I think the tricks compliment the agility perfectly. Don't limit yourself. Just have some fun. You can't be practicing all the time! :p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Thank you!!! I was a bit surprised when I watched the video since it looked slightly better than it felt.

And I've heard you talk about prioritizing agility over tricks, but you can do boooooth. Heck, I think the tricks compliment the agility perfectly. Don't limit yourself. Just have some fun. You can't be practicing all the time! :p
It would be easier if I just had P, but I have to divide my time up between all three - and with Georgie that also means working with my mom on how to train her (so eventually I don't have to!) And working on Auggie's issues is not going well. I'm obviously an idiot, because if Auggie's issues were as easy to fix as I think they "should" be, I would have fixed them years ago. ugh.

Lyzelle

Working on videos again. :)

Foundations, rear end awareness, and PATIENCE are priorities. He thinks we are training and he LOSES HIS MIND. Which isn't bad. But it isn't great, either, because he can't focus. We need focused crazy. Not just Zaner running into walls crazy.

Anyone remember the wall licking when we were learning Shut the Door? We're dealing with that crazy right now.

Looking forward to some Zander videos, I have a hard time working with our husky Nikko. It's a combo of bat sh!t crazy dog, no concentration, and after about 2 minutes he zones out because he just isn't interested in working for food anymore. He will throw himself down and sigh like he has a very tough life, having to work for treats lmao. He is so different than working with the other two dogs.

JacksonsMom

Happy with 'cross paws' progress.

[YOUTUBE]kK25foQBN1k[/YOUTUBE]

For some reason, this ones been tough for Jackson. You can see here that I add a tiny piece of paper... for some reason it's been hard for him to lure out the target. I started teaching him how to target something bigger (I think it was a cd case), then just started using a piece of paper, and I had to put it back because I could tell he was getting confused. LOL. So still a slight work in progress but very happy with it since we just started working on this again yesterday.

DJEtzel

Happy with 'cross paws' progress.

[YOUTUBE]kK25foQBN1k[/YOUTUBE]

For some reason, this ones been tough for Jackson. You can see here that I add a tiny piece of paper... for some reason it's been hard for him to lure out the target. I started teaching him how to target something bigger (I think it was a cd case), then just started using a piece of paper, and I had to put it back because I could tell he was getting confused. LOL. So still a slight work in progress but very happy with it since we just started working on this again yesterday.
I love everything about this video. Including your sister singing. :D

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Currently working on 'personal play' without Feist eating me...we are making progress. And bringing a tug back to hand, which she has really started to understand these past couple days.

I've been working with Maisy on doing a backstall from the floor instead of the couch.

It's surprisingly harder for ME. I thought it would be essentially the same but the impact is harder.

I was all set to start Foundation Agility with Kris on the 8th but they cancelled it due to lack of dogs. I think it was probably the big drop in temperatures that put most people off.

So, I am back to Obedience training as at least you can do it where it is warm. I have joined a group that trains 2 or 3 times a week. There is no instructor and except for one boxer, the others are all way more advanced than Kris. There are 2 German Shepherds, one Rottie or her Boxer, an Australian Shepherd and a Golden as well as Kris.

A lot of it is proofing, we do Figure 8's with either our dogs sitting and staying while we are posts or doing it with our dogs alongside us, stand for examination, while we each leave our dog and go over the other dog that is standing, long sits and downs (they are all at the point of leaving the room) so I let them know if their dog moves, heeling and sometimes just sitting with Kris lying down as we watch one of them do scent discrimination. Lots of fun.

Kris has improved 100% in the time I have worked with them, don't know if it is the training or that she has been spayed or she is finally growing up at 13 months of age.

GingerKid

Man, I feel so unaccomplished compared to all you guys! Its inspiring.

Currently we're working on developing a solid nose and paw target. He knows both, but I am totally inconsistent with my commands so he'll sometimes do one, or the other, or both, when asked for one or the other.

Mostly though, I'm working on being more consistent myself, especially saying exactly what I mean (even using the clicker). I'm finding it surprisingly hard.

Lyzelle

Nothing special, being a bit lazy on a lot and I wasn't all that strict with him. My main focus was really just having his attention and not flipping out or CONSTANTLY offering back up in place of sit or down. Sit, sit pretty, wait, and look at me was the main things. Everything else was just a meh. Couch thing was the closest I could get to core work on the stairs and still video.

Ace just wanted a treat...he leaves right after. Lol.

Sorry not embedded, on mobile. But for our first vid getting back into it, I hope it isn't too bad. I just felt like I needed to do SOMETHING to get started again, us know? And I didn't want either of us overly frustrated going back into this.

http://youtu.be/1wTzUTKSuRM

Oko

Silence, peasants.
LLW, the bane of my existence. It didn't help from the time that Feist was ten weeks old, she pulled like she was ready for the Iditarod. I am so, so excited to be seeing progress in this. A couple weeks ago I decided to put her on a head collar, because she gets into an instant tune-out state where all she did is pull, wouldn't even take food or look at me if we went on a walk on leash outdoors. It instantly changed her reaction, no frenzied pulling and I could get her to take treats here and there. After tons and tons of dropping treats on the ground, playing look at that (we've recently had some car/dog/person fixating to battle with too! All my fault really), she's improved so much and is offering focus to me. I cannot stress how big a change that is! Certainly a hole I got us in by not working on it, but glad we are clawing our way out. We stepped out the front door this morning on a flat collar, and she turned and looked up at me. Freaking hell yes. :D

Lehigh Pet Research

Hey everyone, I am a student at Lehigh University and I am currently working on a project that will hopefully making taking care of pets easier, specifically with younger children. If you have both children and pets, please take a minute and fill out this survey. We are trying to gain information on the behavior of children, especially when it comes to pets. Thank you!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CLWYGHC

Members online