What is your definition of an 'average pet owner'?

noludoru

Bored Now.
I was going to say that I consider myself an average dog owner. I don't really fit into those definitions of one, though.

I love my dog, but we don't get to go do cool things much. Except hiking or running. I feed good food, bathe and groom him and my roommate's dogs. I treat him like he's a dog and don't expect miracles, and most of our time is spent snuggling on the couch.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
A person who has a dog as a pet, and treats it as such. It gets fed, it gets walked occasionally, it is likely to be very loved, but other than that, it's an animal living in a house with humans.

I think most dogs are owned by average owners, and that's ok :)

I think the difference is about what makes a 'dog enthusiast'. I'd say my dogs are more of a hobby and passion than a pet.

That's the difference to me. I like films, but I'm not a film nerd.... I don't have racks and racks of DVDs and discuss them on the Internet. It just happens I like dogs... That's my thing.

I'd say being a NON average dog owner is the anomaly!!!
I'm also adding that I have a sneaking suspicion that average dog owners don't join Internet dog forums and sticks around to post :D

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
IMO, the average pet owner...

... gets a dog with little to no research into the breed (or breeds, if a mixed breed dog.)

... feeds highly-advertised food like Beneful or Iams, and doesn't really care what they're putting in the bowl every day.

... maybe goes through one session of obedience class... MAYBE.

... has no interest in "doing things" with their dogs outside of normal pet activities like walks and playing fetch in the backyard.

... usually doesn't know much about canine behavior. (Is the type to think that dogs "should just know" that knocking over the kids and stealing food from the countertop is bad.)

... doesn't know (and doesn't care) what their dog is being vaccinated for.

... doesn't even try to do even basic grooming (even trimming nails) because "the groomer will do it in a few weeks."

... owns a dog, but don't spend much time really appreciating what it's like to live with a dog. I guess this could be compared to how I personally view my backyard. I mow it because I have to, but I don't spend my free time thinking of ways I could better landscape it. I don't spend extra time or money on my backyard because it's "just" a backyard to me. My neighbor, on the other hand, LOVES his backyard. He's out there every day.. mowing, trimming, planting, weeding, edging... rain or shine, he's out there improving his lawn. I am an average backyard owner.
I like your comparison lol

I'm an average car owner. I'm an obsessive world revolving dog owner.

Saeleofu

I think most dogs are owned by average owners
That would be why it's called "average"...

If most people who had dogs were like Chazzers, then we'd all be "average" dog owners.

Members online

No members online now.