25 Emaciated Sled Dogs Rescued in Alaska.

SharkyX

Back of the Pack
Since some people lack the ability to navigate the links provided...

MSB Animal Care and Regulation
680 N. Seward Meridian Parkway
Wasilla, AK 99654

Don't know how much clearer I can be. :rolleyes:
Wow... your first direct answer to a question for information posed to you that also doesn't include rhetoric or lawyer advice... although it took a few pages to get here...

Somebody mark this on the calendar.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
some moron stops feeding his dogs, who just happen to be huskies, who apparently occasionally pull sleds (in theory), and somehow sled pulling is cruel??

so if someone stopped feeding their border collies, which they may or may not have used to herd sheep on their farm, does that make the act of herding cruelty to dogs?

It makes whoever owns the dogs a DUMBASS. With a capital D. I could see the subtle hint if the dood was beating the crap out of his dogs while they were pulling him around or if they were getting all kinds of problems from pulling too heavy a load or something.

But a cut and dry case of some guy just not feeding his dogs?

Please.

Since some people lack the ability to navigate the links provided...

An answer, but hon if you truely care about these dogs, you need to stop acting like a child. Just post the address so people can contact and donate if they wish. And considering the history of these threads, I would definitely verify the legitimacy first (wouldn't want my hard earned cash going to help people who only claim to help dogs ;)).

And I surely hope that noone here would stoop to the ultimate low of taking advantage of such a terrible situation to further a personal agenda against the Iditarod because all it does is hurt animals by turning people off to legitimate welfare issues when they occur. In both this case and the last one that you posted, race officials were in fact the first to have detected a potential problem years before the situation ended in disaster and it is a huge opportunity missed if welfare advocates don't see the value in partnering with them.

Debbie

youhavenoidea

I love my Weimaheiny!
An answer, but hon if you truely care about these dogs, you need to stop acting like a child. Just post the address so people can contact and donate if they wish. And considering the history of these threads, I would definitely verify the legitimacy first (wouldn't want my hard earned cash going to help people who only claim to help dogs ;)).

And I surely hope that noone here would stoop to the ultimate low of taking advantage of such a terrible situation to further a personal agenda against the Iditarod because all it does is hurt animals by turning people off to legitimate welfare issues when they occur. In both this case and the last one that you posted, race officials were in fact the first to have detected a potential problem years before the situation ended in disaster and it is a huge opportunity missed if welfare advocates don't see the value in partnering with them.

Debbie

Very well said. Kudos.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady

Debbie
Bravo. Well put. :hail:

But dog fighting is illegal and cruel period. Dog sledding is NOT. Yes there are bad people in any group, so some sled dogs are victims of cruelty. But it is erroneous to postulate a correlation where none exists.

Thats as bad as saying all pitties are dangerous (all sled dog owners are abusive and need summitview to save their dogs)

Does this dog look in any way malnourished or mistreated?

heck he loves his job so much you stick a novice (my 7 year old son) in the sled and he runs for the sheer pleasure of running.

Summitview would like to stop this dog from doing what he loves best. (well also stop people like me from breeding dogs apearantly too...and most other people on chaz who breed. Only people who are wealthy, have large fenced yards..scratch that-AR type that likely supports the abolition of pets as a whole)
I can tell you now, Ronan will despise ANYONE who even so much as attempts to abolish his right to do what he loves most - dog sledding! As the picture shows he doesnt care if the person on the sled has been sledding for 50 years and can flawlessly run even the trickiest trails, or Kerri's 7-year old standing on the runners for the first time in his life AND running a race to boot, he's just happy to be in harness! Heck, there could be NO ONE on the sled and he'd just keep on running LOL

But that aside, what this guy has done is an outrage to mushers everywhere. It is his type that give us a bad name. It is his type that spawn people to think ALL sledding is cruel when that couldnt be further from the truth. I hope these dogs can make a full recovery and find someone who will allow them to do what they love, but do it right! With proper care, nutrition, and tons of love!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I know summitviews thoughts on dogs.

But I also love, love LOVE the way that she has had little to NO input on this thread (other than posting the information), she hasn't said anything on her opinions on racing, and was highlighting a case of abuse which people can donate to, and YET, this thread is FIVE pages long with people arguing against her opinions yet there isn't ONE retaliation from her on the matter.

And as for the tags - ANYONE can add tags. And there is a nice personal attack tag in there someone has added - very mature.

How about sticking to the topic at hand, which is the abuse case, and maybe open another thread for discussing summitviews opinions.

Dekka

Just try me..
Dizzy> just read her siggy. I am all for helping animals. I am not for furthering the causes of animal rights activists no matter how sugar coated they are.

Summit has an agenda AGAINST sled dog racing. Notice she doesn't post cruelty posts for anything other than her agenda.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Dizzy> just read her siggy. I am all for helping animals. I am not for furthering the causes of animal rights activists no matter how sugar coated they are.

Summit has an agenda AGAINST sled dog racing. Notice she doesn't post cruelty posts for anything other than her agenda.

She clearly STATED she only posted this in the context of helping THOSE dogs, not all sled dogs. So that is her agenda with this post.

It's like watching an arguement in an empty room - she hasn't even commented on the matter you have all brought up.

I know her "agenda", but I also can see the topic of this thread is to save those poor dogs, and you have all managed to trivialise it completely.

And note - there are many people here who are involved in SPECIFIC breed clubs, rescues, and often post about SPECIFIC breed cruelty cases.

That is hardly abnormal behaviour.

Dekka

Just try me..
I posted in regards to something that was said. And just cause she did her normal post and run, does not mean we can't talk amongst ourselves does it?

Most people who post in regards to breed affiliations are trying to help those breeds, not abolish them. I have no issue with people who are honestly trying to help. No where did I say these dogs should not be helped. But if she had no agenda why post sled dogs? When the guy hardly every sledded with them? Why not just post 25 emaciated huskies or something?

If someone had dabbled in agility but neglected their dogs I don't think people would but AGILITY dog neglected in the headline. Its kinda like BSL...

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Because the story is about 25 emaciated sled dogs.

Simple as that.... I'd have probably put the same title.

Noone is saying people can't discuss things, but it's just.... a bit sad, when it goes on five pages and the woman hasn't even said one word.

People are defined by their cause on Chaz... which is just life. But you have to remember, people can have lots of opinions on things... we might not always agree, but ONE opinion doesn't MAKE a person.

You all clearly (apparently) dislike this woman, not her opinions, hence the rather offensive tag.

There are LOADS of threads debating her opinions - why turn this into another one? When it just takes away from the DOGS.

If she'd come in here, guns blazing, then whoot - get your a'torching hats on and have a flame war - but she didn't.

Why not give her the benefit of the doubt, and carry on with one of the other gazillion "we hate summitviews opinions" threads?

Dekka

Just try me..
Umm I never even responded to summit....... so how can i 'clearly' not like her? (admittedly I don't like her tactics, but I don't know her personally so can't say)

And as someone who (like me) seems to like accuracy and not media hype (as seen in another thread) are these sled dogs? The article does not claim that. So its ok to assume in some threads but not others?

Summit never really comes back to her threads..why would this one be any different? I really don't see the big deal if people want to come in and say YEP horrid abuse, but its not cause of Sledding. Threads evolve....

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Umm I never even responded to summit....... so how can i 'clearly' not like her?

It was more of a general YOU, and I did include a nice "apparently" (I don't know it as fact, I'm just making an ASS out of U and ME on it due to the nature of the comments, and the tags).

Just saying what I see.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Ok, even I am no expert on sled dogs but:

Iditarod officials say back in 1983, Bartko was disqualified for not adequately caring for his team.
makes me think they are sled dogs.

Dekka

Just try me..
So these dogs have been kicking around since 1983? It could be.. but just think if in the polar bear thread if someone had used that logic you would have (IMO rightly so) blasted them.

Someone posted that he didn't do dogsledding anymore (I think, not going back to read the whole thing) But really all my point was is that if you really want to help dogs don't inflame those you need help from. Personally I don't trust Summit's agenda and would likely not support the causes she posts, but then there is enough I can do locally I don't need to go looking for causes :)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I think CHANCES are they are sled dogs. It's highly probable.

ETA - if you just type his name into google, you will find that they ARE sled dogs. Which means summit didn't even post the news items relevant to her "cause". Just the fact that they are starving dogs.

And seeing as this is Summitviews particular area of interest, that is more than likely how she would post it.

I'm not suggesting anyone agree with her "agenda" if they don't like it, but the YOU'RE all the ones (not YOU, YOU) who are bringing ATTENTION to it - she said nowt.

If people enjoy ripping up other peoples "agendas" and opinions, I find it quite.... low.. that they would carry on even when the person isn't here to add comment.

It's just baiting in my opinion, and as someone said much earlier on in the "debate" - making these dogs into propaganda detracts from the DOGS.

Perhaps people could donate some money, rather than muse over whether summit is trying to brainwash us or not?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.