An emergency nail question

My Dachshund, Gus, has been favoring his paw and I found out it is because his back nail has been completely broken in half. You can see the vein and it is obviously hurting him. Becuase Its thanksgiving the only place thats open is Emergency vet clinic. I called the regular vet clinic and they said, without looking, that their was nothing they could do, but the soonest they could get me in was on monday.... So... What should I do? We wont hold still enought to let me clip it, and He does not even want to play with his ball!!!!!!!

please help! Thanks

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Which nail? The dew claw? Or another one?

I hate to do this to a dog, especially when it comes to cutting nails, but you might have to resort to almost pinning him down and doing a quick clip of that one just to get it off. Have the styptic powder ready to quell the bleeding. It's about all the vet it going to do too.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
when tyr broke a nail that badly, it hurt for a little while, but not long -- although he tends to be on the stoic side.

at the time we were traveling and so i was trying not to have to find a vet in an unfamiliar town in halfway in between home and my destination. i kept it clean and he was fine.

Barb04

Super Moderator
This happened to Max awhile back. When we brought him to the vet, we had to hold him down and the vet clipped the nail; he then bandaged it up.

Ok, so the vet wont do anything I cant then right? I hate to hold him down... But I guess I will have to. Its the dew claw (if thats the right word) on his front foot. The nail broken realy close to the skin. Should I clip it that close?

Herschel

Ok, so the vet wont do anything I cant then right? I hate to hold him down... But I guess I will have to. Its the dew claw (if thats the right word) on his front foot. The nail broken realy close to the skin. Should I clip it that close?
Go for it. Just don't make a big fuss about it. Something similar happened to Herschel a while ago and we just cut it really short and he was fine.

Ok... I clipped it. It bled alot but I wrapped it in some gauze and he is doing great. I cancled the vet check for monday. I also put a little ointment on it, dont know what good it will do, but it seemed to stop the bleeding

Members online

No members online now.