The dog musing/vent thread

Elrohwen

My dog is such an ass.

Last night he was so worked up at bedtime that he wouldn't stop play attacking me while I tried to read. He will run up, play bow, "bite" my hand (basically touch it with his teeth), and then run away if I move. Rinse repeat. I was trying to ignore him but he escalated to pouncing on my book, and then running into my head with his teeth. I wanted to kill him.

When do they grow up again?

Oh, and he got mud all over my bedroom and kitchen (but that wasn't really his fault).

Dagwall

My dog is such an ass.

Last night he was so worked up at bedtime that he wouldn't stop play attacking me while I tried to read. He will run up, play bow, "bite" my hand (basically touch it with his teeth), and then run away if I move. Rinse repeat. I was trying to ignore him but he escalated to pouncing on my book, and then running into my head with his teeth. I wanted to kill him.

Oh, and he got mud all over my bedroom and kitchen (but that wasn't really his fault).
Watson really reminds me of Jubel. Good luck with that growing up thing, Jubel just turned 6 and still does stuff like that from time to time. It's not often but it still happens.

Elrohwen

Watson really reminds me of Jubel. Good luck with that growing up thing, Jubel just turned 6 and still does stuff like that from time to time. It's not often but it still happens.
I'm pretty sure they're the same dog in different bodies.

Sometimes he gets wild after classes, so we got home from agility and he was wired. The worst part is that we get home after 10, and I just want to sleep, but he wants to run around in circles and bite me.

And I'm getting sick of the dirt from agility. It gets worked into his paws and I can't get it out. I tried to clean them off better last night, but it just turned the dirt into mud and made a huge mess. Now there are big muddy foot prints all over the blankets on my bed, the carpet in the bedroom, and the kitchen floor.

Dagwall

I'm pretty sure they're the same dog in different bodies.

Sometimes he gets wild after classes, so we got home from agility and he was wired. The worst part is that we get home after 10, and I just want to sleep, but he wants to run around in circles and bite me.

And I'm getting sick of the dirt from agility. It gets worked into his paws and I can't get it out. I tried to clean them off better last night, but it just turned the dirt into mud and made a huge mess. Now there are big muddy foot prints all over the blankets on my bed, the carpet in the bedroom, and the kitchen floor.
Luckily I've never had that issue. Anytime even remotely close to bedtime and Jubel will very happily hop into bed and go to sleep. That's actually my solution to his craziness sometimes when it's close to bedtime. Climb in bed and he's out, meanwhile I can read a book or play on my ipad until it really is bedtime. Double edge sword there a bit though, it somewhat reinforces him acting like an ass to get me to go to bed with him. haha God forbid he go to bed by himself.

Elrohwen

Luckily I've never had that issue. Anytime even remotely close to bedtime and Jubel will very happily hop into bed and go to sleep. That's actually my solution to his craziness sometimes when it's close to bedtime. Climb in bed and he's out, meanwhile I can read a book or play on my ipad until it really is bedtime. Double edge sword there a bit though, it somewhat reinforces him acting like an ass to get me to go to bed with him. haha God forbid he go to bed by himself.
Haha. Watson always gets most worked up right before bed, like a kid who runs around in circles and resists going to sleep. Usually he's settled by the time we're done brushing our teeth though, and is happy to climb in bed and go to sleep. Not so much last night.

A last minute transport was arranged for Ferdy from Ottawa to Halifax... he's going on a 16 hour trip to his new home tomorrow at 6am. I found out yesterday but didn't start tearing up until just now when I wrote a letter for his new family thanking them and explaining his likes and fears and habits. I'm excited for him, and happy, but I will miss this little guy so much. :(

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
My dog is such an ass.

Hahaha that's Fred. Except he shoves toys at you rudely repeatedly. Or grabs your trouser legs, or woooooowooooooeooooooooos in your face. He doesn't understand no when he's in that mood.

My dog is such an ass.

I'm sorry, but this just makes me laugh

Elrohwen

Good to know everyone else's dogs are crazy nutters too!

He also made me play chase around the kitchen. He ran up to me, stared, and then ran away to the other side of the kitchen, repeatedly, until I got the idea. He likes when I run around the island, and then he chases, periodically barking and putting his paws up on the island to see where I am. He doesn't get good traction on the lino, so he does that cartoon running in place move and it cracks me up.

He's not so into the toy throwing, probably because his favorite toys are easy to destroy and they get put away. He has shoved his jolly ball on me before, but it was much less annoying than the biting and growling crap.

Elrohwen

I'm sorry, but this just makes me laugh
I'm glad we could entertain you :D It is pretty funny unless you're his target.

ETA: Ok, it's even kind of funny if you are his target. Sometimes I laugh at him and I think that just encourages it, but I can't help it. He looks like such a crazy dog.

Last edited:

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Feist peed on me today. The excitement of seeing her favorite people while in my arms was too much, apparently?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Penny gathers all her toys up& throws them at me. She has good aim.. she can totally relate to Fred!
He doesn't throw them. He grabs them and literally shoves them at your hands... Then backs away, then shoves, backs away, shoves, backs away. As soon as you move to the toy he starts a game of tug. This can go on for.... Well a long time!!!!!!

You say 'leave' and he pretends to leave it..... And he might leave like a millimetre in his mouth, the teeeeeensiest, tiniest fibre of toy. So you grab it, and he starts a game of tug.

I maaaaaaay have over done the tug drive games.... :popcorn:

He does this with any toy. Rope toys, stinky soft toys and his FAVOURITE a full size fleece blanket.

He's a ****.

Dagwall

Good to know everyone else's dogs are crazy nutters too!

He also made me play chase around the kitchen. He ran up to me, stared, and then ran away to the other side of the kitchen, repeatedly, until I got the idea. He likes when I run around the island, and then he chases, periodically barking and putting his paws up on the island to see where I am. He doesn't get good traction on the lino, so he does that cartoon running in place move and it cracks me up.

He's not so into the toy throwing, probably because his favorite toys are easy to destroy and they get put away. He has shoved his jolly ball on me before, but it was much less annoying than the biting and growling crap.
Jubel's true spazzing out which I find hilarious and do nothing but laugh and encourage is him sprinting around the house. Usually some combination of between my brother's room and mine with sprints up and down the stairs thrown in. Play growling the entire time. Flying leaps up and almost over my queen sized bed, he has slid off the other side a few times. Often going from my brother's bed to mine.

Recently I've taken to hiding someplace in one of our rooms and calling him. He runs around in a speed search often running right passed me without noticing. Frequently he finds me because I can't stop myself from giggling as he repeatedly runs passed me. He's only just now starting to look behind doors as I've hidden there many times now.

Good mental game and he makes it a good physical work out. Big party when he finds me and I ask him to stay while I hide again and call him to find me.

Yea when he wants to play fetch Squash will put his wubba on the laptop keyboard, on my lap, on my arm, in my hand, on my head... really anywhere it will be annoying. Fortunately his interest in fetch does wane after a handful of tosses, so there's that.

Add Astro to the obnoxious dog list.

His favorite thing in the world to get attention is to climb you and rest against your head. That's it. He does it very methodically, no jumping or flailing around - he just climbs up you while you're sitting on the couch, and then rests his 40 pound self on your head like a puppy hat. I'm not even sure he's doing it for more attention come to think of it, he might just think he's meant to be a hat, because he chills there very contentedly.

My roommates and I try to discourage it, because come on, but I have to admit it is the weirdest and most oddly endearing tactic at times. He sometimes snuffles while he climbs too, and he often can't get purchase so one of his back legs just hovers in space, lifting and getting set down again and lifting in the air.

He also likes to plant himself face-down on the couch with his butt sticking straight up in the air, and make weird Jabba noises, all for an extended length of time....so. Not really sure what kinda weirdo I adopted :rofl1:

SpringerLover

Yea when he wants to play fetch Squash will put his wubba on the laptop keyboard, on my lap, on my arm, in my hand, on my head... really anywhere it will be annoying. Fortunately his interest in fetch does wane after a handful of tosses, so there's that.
A labrador I used to watch frequently was such a ball nut that I learned to play fetch from the couch. We tried hiding her tennis balls to stop the game but she was persistent. I even tried hiding them in the couch. That wasn't my smartest idea. The last house I lived in was set up so that I could open the patio door and throw it outside and off the deck, from the comfort of the couch. Ahahaha, lazy dog entertainment!

She very rarely tired of the game.

His interest in fetch doesn't last long, but if he wants a lovin' he'll never give up. He just sort of... sidles up next to you on the couch and puts himself in your lap no matter what you do. Resistance is futile. I'm not even quite sure how he does it sometimes, it's like a superpower.

Saeleofu

I think Logan's marked decrease in itchiness with 7+ inches if snow on the ground sort of confirms environmental allergies :p I'm planning on doing a blood test and start desensitization therapy when I get my tax refund (which should be early next week!)

SpringerLover

His interest in fetch doesn't last long, but if he wants a lovin' he'll never give up. He just sort of... sidles up next to you on the couch and puts himself in your lap no matter what you do. Resistance is futile. I'm not even quite sure how he does it sometimes, it's like a superpower.
Oh Polar Bear Squashie! :)

Members online