Brad Pattison Interview

I'll say the same thing here I said where I saw this elsewhere - I only got to the part where he said he thinks it's wrong for people to act like bullies, then I laughed so hard I choked on my own spit and passed out. Now I'm afraid to go back and try to read any further. :p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Man is crazy. I just got to this part.

L: In response to pinning your dog, ‎from your book Synergy. “I have all my clients perform this twice a day for a minimum of twenty repetitions; however you may need to do more.

“Reactions to be aware of during this exercise are grumbling, whining, heavy-breathing, yipping, shrieking, clawing, thrashing, and throwing back the head.

“What your dog has been able to get away with in the past will be one factor in how your dog responds to this exercise. If your dog believes that it has some Alpha dominance in your pack, you will have a harder time. In extreme cases, some dogs that were totally household dominant in their families have defecated or urinated during this exercise. Never stop this exercise until you have won!

“The pinning exercise may take up to 1 hour. Wear a long sleeve shirt, and if your dog is prone to snapping or biting, prepare him with a properly fitted muzzle.”

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Where's the puking smiley?

I really don't know how this guy still has followers.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Where's the puking smiley?

I really don't know how this guy still has followers.
His followers are lunatics... I've had the misfortune of meeting several in my area. Absolute crazies.

A lot of the CTEs are starting to offer agility and competition classes. One in Calgary offers herding too. Despite never competing in it themselves.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I'd love to see him try to teach something like agility or another sport. I think that would be... interesting.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I'd love to see him try to teach something like agility or another sport. I think that would be... interesting.
Yeah, I would LOVE to see him try to do something competitive... :rolleyes: I imagine any agility dog of his would be painfully slow.

crazedACD

I've never seen his shows or anything..but he sounds like an idiot.

I had to laugh at 'As Adults, we are supposed to be setting a president and an example for the younger generation.' Isn't it precedent? :p

Kilter

Let's see.... toss the dog on a martingale and drag it over everything, slam it into the contact zones, rip it's head through the weave poles and 'reward' by stopping that to massage the chest. Oh yeah, he'd be good. I'm worried.

I did find the responses a bit of a change over what he's said in the past. I doubt he has any respect for anyone other than his huge head. I like the 'we have standards but you'd have to come take a course and become a CET to find out what they are'.... ick.

BostonBanker

I had to laugh at 'As Adults, we are supposed to be setting a president and an example for the younger generation.' Isn't it precedent?
I wanted to mock that as well, but to be fair, it may have been a phone/live interview and that may be the author's mistake.

Mostly I just want to whip that guy's head into a tree a few times. Do you think he'll defecate because he's been a pompous donkey for so long?

adojrts

I wont read it, (but thanks for sharing it), he has nothing to say or do that I am interested in or want to learn (unless it is how to not doing something). He makes me want to throw things at the t.v when the show comes on, I hear the music for it and turn it off.
Good thing is, he has recently been dropped from a Ottawa Pet Expo, too many ppl contacted the organizers and stating that they refused to support the Expo if he was there including a lot of vendors and trainers. Ottawa dog people rock!! (no I am not from Ottawa :).

Haven't read through the entire thing, didn't want to actually, but just for curiosity sake, then I hit this:
A dog and a chicken are 2 completely different species. One is a pack animal and the other one isn’t.
Sofa king WRONG!!!!! Chickens are FLOCK animal, essentially, the same dam thing! Shows how knowledgeable he really is. I don't care if you don't like chickens, I don't much like cows, but if you're going to make an argument on a topic to try an relate it to yours, GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!

And I know this, because I'm a chicken owner, the owner of a very substantial flock, too much at times (I'm drowning in eggs!). The chickens prefer to "flock together", not all of them get along sure, and because of that we'll never have Wyandotes again, I didn't name her Meanie for nothing. But chickens prefer to belong to a flock, ever seen a flock of wild Turkeys? Yes, hens separate during chick season, but they all regroup after.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Well, as for factual accuracy regarding chickens vs dogs, I might start with the fact that dogs are not pack animals, lol.

Well, as for factual accuracy regarding chickens vs dogs, I might start with the fact that dogs are not pack animals, lol.
lol, I love that one too.

But oh my, this guy can't even give a good, strait answer when asked about "BSL" :yikes:

EDIT: Now this is just WRONG!
PL: What is the body language of a fearful dog?

BP: That is impossible for me to answer, every dog will be different.
Just, wow, I can't believe this wack job is legally allowed to be around dogs! Let alone, "training" them.

Last edited:

JacksonsMom

I have no idea how ANYONE likes this guy.

At least with Cesar, he's personable and nice to people, and regardless if some people do not like him or his methods, at least he's not out right.... stupid. He seems to actually respect and LIKE dogs. This Brad guy just doesn't even seem like he likes dogs. Or people. Or anything.

I'd love to hear what Victoria Stillwell thinks about him liking HER hahah.

I have no idea how ANYONE likes this guy.

At least with Cesar, he's personable and nice to people, and regardless if some people do not like him or his methods, at least he's not out right.... stupid. He seems to actually respect and LIKE dogs. This Brad guy just doesn't even seem like he likes dogs. Or people. Or anything.

I'd love to hear what Victoria Stillwell thinks about him liking HER hahah.
I know, I'm not a fan of his methods at all, but I admit CM's show is a guilty pleasure I watch because I do like his mannerism and how good he is with people, and he does love dogs, and to tell the truth I have not been allowed to watch VS show at all since the, 2nd or 3rd season? because my family HATES the "tone" of it, and really I don't like it either, drama, yelling, family feuds, that music, I really wish she could be contracted to do a show more like Good dog-U was, I think it would be better off and I'd more readily watch it.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I wont read it, (but thanks for sharing it), he has nothing to say or do that I am interested in or want to learn (unless it is how to not doing something). He makes me want to throw things at the t.v when the show comes on, I hear the music for it and turn it off.
Good thing is, he has recently been dropped from a Ottawa Pet Expo, too many ppl contacted the organizers and stating that they refused to support the Expo if he was there including a lot of vendors and trainers. Ottawa dog people rock!! (no I am not from Ottawa :).
Well d'uh. :p

Really though, there's bigger issues with the expo than if he had been there.

adojrts

there maybe issues but at least that is one venue that he wont be spouting his ill informed, uneducated, inhumane opinions and methods :)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
PL: Can you define some of the basic learning theory constructs in dog training:

-Define extinction and it’s use in dog training
-Define Premack Principle and its use in dog training
-Define the difference between a primary and a secondary reinforcer and comment on their relative use in dog training

BP: The Theories are simple. They come from dog to dog relationships and interactions. They come from understanding and paying attention to what their rules are. Not what we perceive to be the proper rules. That shows how they learn! It is fulfilling their needs and being diligent and responding to those needs. If your dog needs to be interrupted, you better do it! Pretty simple!
So in other words... no, he can't define them.

Members online