Why are they so addictive!?

Saeleofu

I have had a betta for about 6 months. And now, I really, really want another aquarium. Last time it started with a betta, then I got a 10 gallon, then I got a 20 gallon, and that was as big as I could have in the dorms.

Again, it's starting with a betta lol.

I REALLY REALLY want a 30gal hex. Or a bowfront. Or something tall and approximately 30 gallons lol. I'm not a big fan of the longer, shallower tanks. I used to be, but this time I have been eyeing the deeper ones.

To make it worse, last week on Craigslist there was a 30 gallon hex with stand, pump, and everything (except fish) for $50. And I missed it :wall:

Someone tell me I don't need more fish...

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I'll be the first one to tell you to resist the urge for a hex. They're a pita to clean and more seams mean more things that can go wonky at the worst possible moment.

Also the deeper tanks can present a cleaning challenge because if you use a simple hanging filter you're going to need to make sure the bottom doesn't become problem. The way I did this was I ended up getting a far bigger filter than I would normally need and adjusting it so we'd get movement at the bottom and not a jet engine going at the top.

My favorite tank sizes are the 60 and 100 gal breeder tanks. Loads of room for adjustment and decorating and lots of fish and still able to use fairly conventional filtration without an issue.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
But you dooooooo need more fish. :D

LOL! I have 3 aquariums right now, and I'm asking for a 29 for Christmas. I <3 fish.

Saeleofu

Kat, that's good to know. I didn't even really think about that.

Dixie...you're SOOOOO not helping :rofl1:

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Kat, that's good to know. I didn't even really think about that.

Dixie...you're SOOOOO not helping :rofl1:
I took my 55 gallon corner tank out and shot it a couple months ago. It was just too big to store and it was such a pain to clean since my arms were too short to reach the gravel. It did however look spectacular when it was up and running.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I actually just gave away a 42 gallon with a stand. DH liked the idea of a bug tank but wanted to leave the maintenance to me, which I just wasn't willing to do. I'm a fan of the smaller tanks...

~Tucker&Me~

I agree with Kat - hex tanks are a huge PITA and you have to be selective with the fish you put in them. I remember my neighbour having one and I always felt bad for the fish in it because it was primarily up/down movement and they never got to swim 'normally' per say.

I get the bug though... Fishkeeping is addictive :p

Saeleofu

What do you guys think of a half moon or a bowfront? I think depthwise half moons might have some of the same problems as hexes. IF I get a tank it'll just have small fish in it like guppies, tetras, corydoras, and similar sized fish.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
The bf has 4 or 5 huge tanks. He used to breed fish (he still may, heck if I know).

I've had betta's (and had a gold fish when I was like 3) and I really don't get the appeal of fish. They just aren't the pet for me.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
They're just so aesthetically amazing. It's like pets + like....a living painting or somthing. And I basically count each tank as "one" pet. So you can have like 20+ fish in one tank, but it doesn't take any more or less work than 1 fish would. And I like adding new interesting fish to my tanks, it's really fun, and something to get excited about without drooling over puppies and kittens I can't have. XD

SaraB

The bowfronts distort the view a lot.. almost to the point of being annoying. I hated looking through that glass when I had mine.

I'm a huge fan of long tanks, I have a 20 gallon long right now. I started with a 36 bow front, went to a 75 gallon south american cichlid tank, did the whole expensive pleco thing.. then converted it to a saltwater tank. Focused on primarily aggressive salt water fish, then sold everything and bought the 20 gallon long.. made that a coral tank with a pair of black and white clowns, got sick of that. Traded the clowns in on a sweet black frogfish. When he died, my heart broke and I swore off fish forever. Sold all of my saltwater stuff to prevent me from wasting all my money of expensive fish and corals again... then started my planted fresh water tank. I have a breeding pair of killifish in there now and a sweet tiger pleco. I was just at the fish store buying plants/snails/schooling fish yesterday to restock.

Nope. Not addicted at all. :p

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
What do you guys think of a half moon or a bowfront? I think depthwise half moons might have some of the same problems as hexes. IF I get a tank it'll just have small fish in it like guppies, tetras, corydoras, and similar sized fish.
I think bowfronts are the way to go if you're bound and determined not to have a square tank. For really big tanks I like acrylics. Otherwise, save yourself some money and just go with a 20 - 29 gallon kit.

The main concern is waterflow and avoiding stagnant spots while providing enough hiding areas for your fish. A well decorated tank with a ton of hiding spots makes for happy fish.

I think when I get to my next big tank project I'm going to have one in my library/study that is a 300 gallon freshwater community tank.

Something like this just fills me with that inner peace feeling.

PSA: I am *NOT* a fan of saltwater aquatics. The deathtoll of wildlife involved with the saltwater tank industry I find utterly unacceptable.

Saeleofu

That is a GORGEOUS tank. I'm definitely a fan of the more natural setups. My betta has neon multicolored gravel at the moment and it drives me nuts :wall: I actually just bought some new gravel today - kind of a sandy, translucent color.

I don't get WHY aquariums are so addictive, they just are lol. I think being able to add fish and not have to deal with more work or anything does kind of help with the "animal wants" though. Much easier to just set up an aquarium than get a new puppy ;)

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
The bf has 4 or 5 huge tanks. He used to breed fish (he still may, heck if I know).

I've had betta's (and had a gold fish when I was like 3) and I really don't get the appeal of fish. They just aren't the pet for me.
The last betta I had, Picasso, was the most awesome fish ever--he would even take treats from my fingers. When he died it wasnthe first time I'd ever cried for a fish.

SaraB

PSA: I am *NOT* a fan of saltwater aquatics. The deathtoll of wildlife involved with the saltwater tank industry I find utterly unacceptable.
All of the corals I ever bought were fragged from established colonies. NONE were ever taken from the ocean (well I suppose the mother colony years and years ago).

All of the fish I bought were farm raised (other than the frog fish). The saltwater community is really pulling to stop the collection of wild corals and fish to preserve the environment and most reputable fish stores limit importation. Petco however does not.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
All of the fish I bought were farm raised (other than the frog fish). The saltwater community is really pulling to stop the collection of wild corals and fish to preserve the environment and most reputable fish stores limit importation. Petco however does not.
*Most* saltwater fishes in this world in aquariums at one point were born in an ocean. It's just reality. Very few species have tank born success on the commercial scale required to keep up with demand. Petco was a pioneer in the propagation of clownfish for the pet trade but it doesn't change that for me there is a huge problem with people acquiring a fish only after another 3-6 died getting the one to market - being poisoned out of an ocean a half a world away - drugged to the gills so it wouldn't die of shock - only to be plunked in a fishbowl after fishbowl where it is almost guaranteed to die due to neglect, overcrowding, disease, or simply stress. To me - on the scale of things the lucky ones die upon capture.

I admire the movement within the aquarium industry to limit impact but to me this is too little too late.

Members online

No members online now.