Choosing a Heartworm Preventative

KellyB

I'm just curious if any particular heartworm preventative is better than the others? Kovi needs more and the vet gave Interceptor last time, but I wasn't sure if I should ask for something different this time . . .

Any input would be appreciated!

B

Bobsk8

I use Heartgard ( active ingredient, Ivermectin) since it was recommended by my Vet and I live in an area where Heart Worms are a real problem...

KellyB

Is there some problem with ivermectin? Is Heartguard stronger than the others? Any specific reason why I should use one over the other?

Ivermectin can be harmeful to some Collies - I am not sure if this affects any other breeds. Collie owners are told to avoid this ingredient altogether and not take the chance.

Jynx

Ivermectin can also be fatal to shelties, aussies and other herding breeds of dogs.

My aussie is a double mutant mdr1 gene carrier and is on interceptor as my GSD's are.

One isn't "better" than the other, the ingredients in both do the job, but if you have a herding breed it's better to stay away from anything with Ivermectin in it
diane

Members online

No members online now.