Adoption

krisykris

I have the opportunity to adopt a dog in CT. She's absolutely adorable and what I'm looking for.. but she has a few problems. She's been adopted out twice and returned twice because of bonding to only the female. The foster mom thinks that she's just being babied in this homes and that's not what she needs. Since the last time she's been brought back she also has a problem w/submissive urination.

I'm just looking on some input from you guys. I'm home 24 hours a day basically and plan on becoming a stay at home mom in the next few years... so I have plenty of time and love to devote.

Has anyone dealt w/submissive urination/separation anxiety? I just really don't have the funds to go on a 9 hour trek out there and leave w/o a good fit.

Thanks guys :)

If you think you can handle it, I say go for it.

You can always return her if it doesnt work.

Sounds like you would provide a good home for her. I have heard if they have seperation anxiety to slowly leave. Like the first time you leave, just stand outside the door wait a couple minutes then walk back in. Then gradually increase the time you are gone.
It will take a lot of time & patience on your part.

What breed/mix is she?

Jynx

also wondering what breed of dog?
I am in CT, is the shelter valley shore animal welfare league?
IF so, I'd not bother,,while they are a no kill shelter, they do not evaluate their dogs very well, and the ac here in town has had to put down 3 dogs adopted out of there because of very aggressive tendencies towards humans.

Not to say they don't have some nice dogs, and tons of cats.
Diane

krisykris

She is a 3 y/o yorkie/silky terrier mix. She's been adopted and returned twice due to lack of time and my heart really goes out to her. I'm approved to adopt her, but I need to figure out a way to get to CT asap as they will not do a transport with her..that's my only roadblock.

krisykris

I'm doing it! I put down the deposit then am going to get her in about two/three weeks!!! :) She's such a cutie.. I HAVE to change her name though.. any suggestions?

DrewG

I'm very happy that she is finding a new home with someone who can devote some love to her. Beautiful dog! Congratulations and we had a dog that did the submissive urination. She was also a rescue dog, but after a while with us (few months) she was very use to my family and myself and it just stopped.

krisykris

Thanks Drew, that's really comforting. Apparently it just started after this last time she was adopted then returned.. I'm so excited to give her a stable loving home, she really deserves it! :)

Btw, your dog is adorable!

"BUT she needs the commitment of a Yorkie savy companion!! The families that have fallen in love with this little darling before did not understand the nature of her breed's attachment & devotion. This special gal is happiest having her very own best friend, preferring a female who is available for Selina to give her forever loving heart to."

I would have two reservations about the dog, which may well be groundless but I'm just going from the Petfinder ad. One, is she friendly toward men? That bit about preferring a female to adopt her seems strange. Two, does she like children? If you're planning on becoming a stay-at-home mom soon, that typical loving/dependent Yorkie temperament mentioned in the ad might be a problem. They can be jealous and selfish with the object of their affection. She is adorable, and I hope everything works out perfectly.

krisykris

Yes, I was curious about that too. The foster mom said that she'd most likely warm up to a man if he was gentle and kind, which my fiancee is. I'm hoping that she won't be jealous towards my future child.. my other two mixes aren't. There is a 2 week trial period.. but getting her back to CT would be challenging.

Members online

No members online now.