switching from can to kibble help

J

john doe iii

I'm trying to convince my mom to switch over from canned food (I think alpo or pedigree) to dry kibble.... she tells me her 2 Pekingese will not eat it and refuse to do so.... said she has tried once and they didn't like it.

So I wanted to buy her a large bag of good quality kibble to kind of "force" her to try. What tips and suggestions should I use or teach her to move the dogs over to kibble? I know it's probably going to be hard because dogs just love that canned stuff especially if that's all they have ever had.

Fran27

Canned is ok, but you need to get a good brand. And it's really expensive compared to dry.

I would do it progressively, first just add a few kibbles with the dry, then put a bit more kibbles and less dry etc. Then for a while feed them kibble mixed with a bit of canned. Either way, dogs don't let themselves starve, so even if they are picky they will eat eventually.

WES

Canned food...

Why not feed them both, dry kibble with a bit of canned mixed in. Just make sure you choose a top quality brand not Alpo or Pedigree. I feed Canidae dry with some Inova canned mixed in.Bella loves it, and is doing great on it. The Inova is a bit expensive but I only use a can or two a week so it is not a big deal. It might be a good idea to get a small bag at first, in case the food doesn’t agree with them.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
it's healthier to feed canned food than kibble, but the canned food should be of good quality, which pedigree isn't.

please don't try to "force" her to use dry food, as it is the most unnatural thing to feed to a dog.

Saje

Island dweller
Didn't you just switch to Innova or am I getting people mixed up? (I think I am...)

Members online

No members online now.