frustrated..

urgg.. i have had chase (my minpin) he was eight weeks.. hes kno almost for months.. and seems like he is regressing with housetraining.. do u think this could b bcuz i switchd pad brands (mayb they smell diffrent??) ive been tying to get him to go on a pad.. he pees in it sometimes but not all the time.. and he never poops on it.. should i switch to makin him go outside.. is that easier.. and will he get that he cant go on tha carpet ne faster?? i mean bcuz as of now he goes ne where that he wants.. and i have a routine and take him when he wakes up 20 - 30 mins after he eats and whenever he starts sniffing.. and if he doesnt go i confine him for 10 - 15 mins. and if i catch him going on tha floor and hes done i say no confine him to the bathroom for about 10 mins. but if hes still going put him in on his pad and praise him but he still seems to jus go whereever he wants if im not watching but i know he knows hes doing wrong bcuz he runs and hides when he goes on tha floor.. thnx.. raymond

I dont understand using the pad. I would start working only on getting him to go potty outside. When I'm potty training a dog I take them out often, they wouldnt always do anything but I did it anyway. Each time they'd potty outside I praised them, rewarded them for a job well done and get them all excited for doing a great job. It has worked well for me. Has never taken long to get them knowing they are to go outside to potty. They may still have accidents once in a while but that comes along with puppies. No different than a 2 yr old child being pottied trained, they have accidents too.
I'd give up the pad and just work on getting him to do this thing outside.

becca_4321 said:
I dont understand using the pad. I would start working only on getting him to go potty outside. When I'm potty training a dog I take them out often, they wouldnt always do anything but I did it anyway. Each time they'd potty outside I praised them, rewarded them for a job well done and get them all excited for doing a great job. It has worked well for me. Has never taken long to get them knowing they are to go outside to potty. They may still have accidents once in a while but that comes along with puppies. No different than a 2 yr old child being pottied trained, they have accidents too.
I'd give up the pad and just work on getting him to do this thing outside.
Ya, If you want him to go outside later in life, don't use that pad now. I'd think that that would confuse the dog to no end. And also bear in mind: MinPins are very hard to housebreak.

Rose's Gal said:
Ya, If you want him to go outside later in life, don't use that pad now. I'd think that that would confuse the dog to no end. And also bear in mind: MinPins are very hard to housebreak.
Ya, but if hes used to the pad, than start taking the pad outside and set it down. Praise him when he goes potty. Start taking the pad away and he should start peeing on the grass. If not, youve wasted time. :D

puppy go luckii said:
i know he knows hes doing wrong bcuz he runs and hides when he goes on tha floor.. thnx.. raymond
I think that when he runs and hides, he isn't thinking "Oh man, I've done something wrong. I have to go hide now...." he is thinking, "Oh MAN! Mommy/Daddy is mad!! I have to get away before I get punished!"

And you also said he goes when you aren't watching him.....well.....just keep a closer eye on him! (Sorry, I know I'm not being helpful.... :cool: )

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I have always used timer when I housebreak a dog..setting it often so I dont' forget..going out so often it seems rediculous, i dedicate the entire day to keeping an eye on the pooch. If I have a sneaky one I use the leash and we "stay" together all day too. I especially make sure I rush them outside anytime i see them waking up or after the eat or drink a lot. As long as the scent is inside, housebreaking will be difficult..it sends the message that here is the place, so getting rid of all scent is absolutely necessary. Be consistant and firm, I do not scold for an accident, I will "look displeased" but i don't scold, just double up on my efforts. I have housebroken everydog I have ever come in contact with in three days. Like quitting smoking..it is a pain, but if you devote everything to the task, you will win.

candy722

training dogs to go on the pad can be hard. I think TOki did alot better going on the pad when he was 3 months old compared to now. Dogs just want to be naughty. They do know where they are suppose to go but sometimes they just want it have it their way. I have pads in the house for security purpose and I take him out in the back yard to potty. When it rains, TOki doesn't like to go out so I have to force him to go out. He will stand around and not doing his business so I'll bring him back inside the house. I noticed that he rather go onto the pad when is raining outside. I've changed many brands of wee wee pads including the ones that don't even have a scent and he will still continue to go on it so that is probably not the problem. But training outside is probably easier than the pad.

Cocoa goes on the potty pads and has since we brought her home @ 2 months old.. She was completely potty pad broke in the 1st 2 weeks. All we did was if we caught her going on the floor we told her "no" and put her on the pad... She was so smart and picked it up immediately. We always had 2 pads down for her and she would run right past one to get to the one she always used. She still uses the potty pads but will also go outside, we are kinda waiting until Spring to get her going completely outside and no more pads. I also changed pads during this time and it didn't bother her.

okay guys thanks for you help.. im most likely going to start making chase go outside for now on.. well its need to get a lil warmer here in mi. lol.. thnx again.. raymond

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Maybe I am out of the time, but who came up with pads? when did they become common practice, and why?

Members online