Ideas? or is my dog just strange

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I've never seen something like that go on so long and it would worry me that it was seizure activity because of that. :\ Can't you get her to stop mid-licking?

Aeri sometimes will lick for a few seconds if she gets a dog hair on her tongue or if you pet her a certain way, but never for more than 10-15 seconds and always with an obvious trigger.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I've never seen something like that go on so long and it would worry me that it was seizure activity because of that. :\ Can't you get her to stop mid-licking?

Aeri sometimes will lick for a few seconds if she gets a dog hair on her tongue or if you pet her a certain way, but never for more than 10-15 seconds and always with an obvious trigger.
That was my thought as well.

Tucker will do it for 10-15 seconds but it's usually if there's something stuck in his mouth like a hair or a piece of sand.

Jenne

Ball Thrower
My dog does that if something smells good in the air. Like when I'm making corned beef hash, or frying beef. Also, if we are outside and someone is grilling.

It looks like it could be a focal seizure to me (again, owing to how long it's continuing)....

Mammoth will do this sometimes if he has a headache, but it never lasts long and is easily redirected.

Oh yes, she stops if I make her, but she'll start again when you turn your back. I highly doubt "seizures", but I'm not going to count out psychological, she is a bit OCD in other areas.

Would it make a difference to mention she has 12+ broken teeth? I didn't mention it at first just to see what you think. This is a photo set of the progression of damage to her teeth over months, it hasn't worsened I've noticed since I took away the tennis balls-

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with the teeth!

Have you ever had a cavity filled? I know that I tend to touch uneven/rough spots in my mouth with my tongue until I get used to the "new" feeling of a filling.

I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with the teeth!

Have you ever had a cavity filled? I know that I tend to touch uneven/rough spots in my mouth with my tongue until I get used to the "new" feeling of a filling.
No actually I haven't, yet, I've chipped a tooth though but it's nearly unnoticeable.

I figured it's more than likely her teeth, she'll do this too when she gets hair in her mouth after it's collected on her ball, but she'll also just sit there like when I made the video and do it. She started about a year ago I noticed, sometime she dips her head low, almost against her chest like she's trying to get something out of her mouth. I've been thinking if they got too bad I'll have to take her in sooner rather than later to have them fixed, but I don't know what they would do to fix them? I remember watching something on Animal planet years ago (breed all about it) where a GSD owner had his dogs teeth filed round while sedated to prevent them from doing serious damage while learning to herd, so I guess that could be an option? I know they feel weird when she puts them on you (she's a full out mouthy kisser, I love it, I know most people don't). But in the end, I'm highly against "tennis balls" now, and learned my lesson.

Taqroy

My sister's dog has a broken canine and the vet said that when it gets worse it'll have to be pulled. I think that unless it's broken far enough to make the tooth start decaying it's not really an issue - I could be entirely wrong though, it's definitely something to ask a vet.

My sister's dog has a broken canine and the vet said that when it gets worse it'll have to be pulled. I think that unless it's broken far enough to make the tooth start decaying it's not really an issue - I could be entirely wrong though, it's definitely something to ask a vet.
Exactly, and thus far it doesn't seem an issue to them, it's more an issue when I'm showing her than anything but at least they're still all there! But this behavior has had me scratching my head for a while, and I really wanted to know if there might be anything else to it, but it's looking more like it's her teeth.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Those teeth don't look broken to me, just worn down. You see it a fair amount in the typical tennis ball obsessed breeds (BCs, Mals, Labs, etc.) - they aren't at as big a risk of infection as broken teeth afaik. I honestly have no idea why the licking would be related to teeth - when my Maggie had a broken tooth she showed no symptoms at all until it got infected, then she just went off her food because it hurt to eat.

I've seen some dogs lick like that when they are nauseous, though again, not for that long. If it happens at a time where she's between meals it might be worth giving her a snack to see if that helps.

I've seen some dogs lick like that when they are nauseous, though again, not for that long. If it happens at a time where she's between meals it might be worth giving her a snack to see if that helps.
Ah, she has actually thrown up a few times when I've harshly (which isn't that harsh for her) told her to knock it off, starts to belch and I'll rush her out the door. That's why I quit stopping her from doing it, but she does have a sensitive tummy, I think I'll try that then! Give her a cookie when I see her doing it and see how it goes. I knew that someone might have something else creative to add that I wouldn't have thought of. I'll also have to start taking note of when she's doing this if it corresponds with days when she refused her breakfast, she does that often, although recently it's been dinner instead? Yes, I still think she's just weird :p. Thank you!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer is an obsessive licker so maybe that's why I wouldn't be too worried about Enda's behavior. Summer usually will lick something, be it you, the couch, or her paws. If I correct her for licking, she will resort to mid air licking. And it can go on a very long time.

But Summer is very OCD and quite neurotic at times.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Ah, she has actually thrown up a few times when I've harshly (which isn't that harsh for her) told her to knock it off, starts to belch and I'll rush her out the door. That's why I quit stopping her from doing it, but she does have a sensitive tummy, I think I'll try that then! Give her a cookie when I see her doing it and see how it goes. I knew that someone might have something else creative to add that I wouldn't have thought of. I'll also have to start taking note of when she's doing this if it corresponds with days when she refused her breakfast, she does that often, although recently it's been dinner instead? Yes, I still think she's just weird :p. Thank you!
Watch with that, though. If she's anything like Rosey, within a few times she'll learn to do it to get a cookie :lol-sign:

I don't know what else it could be, although people at my work lick like that after a few drinks... are you sure she's not been drinking behind your back? :p

JacksonsMom

Jackson had a tooth problem and would often do this, and open and close his mouth too. Not for THAT long... but still. His canine tooth was poking his upper gum a bit, and he also had a dead tooth I did not know about until he went under. They shaved the canine tooth down and essentially "filled" it. I could tell he was way more comfortable almost immediately.

I'd be willing to bet it's a tooth problem.

Doberluv

I would absolutely take her to the vet. No question about it. It may be heart burn. Have you tried giving her Prilosec? I forget the dosage. Ask your vet if you can try it. When Toker, my son's dog has had episodes of obsessive licking, she licks things though, not just the air. She licks the hard floor, carpeted floor and the air. I asked the vet about it and that's what he suggested. So, I gave her Prilosec and it stopped. It's happened on a few occasions, but not very often.

How long has this been going on? Can you notice any pattern...like what was she doing right before or a half hour before? Anyhow, it is not normal. She should be checked out by a vet. Hope something will be discovered and fixed.

If it's behavioral, is she getting plenty of stimulation and things to do? You mention being harsh with her to get her to stop. Dobermans are typically very, very sensitive psychologically and don't usually do well with any harshness. Of course, I don't really know what you mean. If she's getting a lot of reaction when she's doing this, it is possible to escalate it. If you can distract her, call her to go outside with you to play, does that help?

Well, anything is possible...there are many types of seizures and some are not very obvious at all. Teeth could possibly be bugging her. Heartburn, some sore in her mouth or on the roof of it. But it doesn't look very pleasant for her, so hopefully a vet can figure something out. Good luck.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
If it's behavioral, is she getting plenty of stimulation and things to do? You mention being harsh with her to get her to stop. Dobermans are typically very, very sensitive psychologically and don't usually do well with any harshness. Of course, I don't really know what you mean. If she's getting a lot of reaction when she's doing this, it is possible to escalate it. If you can distract her, call her to go outside with you to play, does that help?
Psst... she's a beauceron. ;)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm pretty sure she's not a doberman...

ETA: posted at same time

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Fozzie does that whenever he's nauseous. :p I've never seen a dog do it before, so it confused me at first, but then he'll go to the door and do it. I let him out and he ravenously eats grass, then he's good.

If she does it often I'd worry about her food giving her acid reflux or not quite agreeing with her tummy.

Doberluv

Oh, lol...I just didn't look carefully, just watched her face and tongue... thought maybe a mix. Sorry. Well, anyhow, you don't have to disregard my whole post on account of that, I hope. Whatever breed, that would disturb me enough have a vet check her out. (actually, as an aside, the Beauceron may have been one of the breeds used in the development of the Doberman) I believe their temperaments are similar aren't they...along with their body and head shape?

Members online