walking a dog daily?

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Do most Chazzers walk their dogs daily? I walk my dogs daily unless it is raining, and I admit I have the occasional day when time gets away from me and I forget, but that is probably no more than 2 times a month!

do you think its okay to skip walks as long as you do mental exercises? and play fetch, tug, etc out in the yard.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I do not walk my dogs regularly - if I do, it's only in the winter due to the heat and/or insects. I do interact with them both indoors and outdoors daily, but I'm not in a position to go on walks.

I do have a large yard, and multiple dogs of the same activity level, so they get their 'cardio' running around with each other.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I walk my girls daily when I'm in an apartment. When I had a yard, we hardly ever went on 'walks' We'd do a weekly trip to the pond and then the rest of the exercise was done in the yard. (We have acreage though)

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Xena gets walks several times a day. Rain or shine. We don't have a fenced yard, so her potty breaks are on the leash. In junky weather, some of the walks are quick trips, but she usually get's around 2 miles or so daily.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Yup. twice a day every day. Im a big fan of schedules lol everything was always done on time

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Yep, we have alot of land for her to run and play on but she LOVES her daily walks. I think she enjoys the change of scenery more then I do.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Izzy gets at least one walk daily (again, unless it's pouring though I think she'd have fun in the mud) And sometimes two if I can get Justin to go with me after dark. Izzy is just about intolerable without her walks so we try not to skip them but in the case of bad weather, we do try to teach a new trick or something to keep her occupied.

KatCalla

do you think its okay to skip walks as long as you do mental exercises? and play fetch, tug, etc out in the yard.
yeah, its okay if you skip a day here and there, but you don't wanna break a good habit so be careful not to let yourself go.

CaliTerp07

Yup, two good walks and a couple potty breaks a day.

We go from 6:30 to 7:15 before work, and my husband takes her when he gets home from work for another 45 minutes or so. Then in the evenings there are a few potty breaks around the block.

No yard = walks are a must.

I dont really walk my dog in a sense on a leash beside my all the time. Majority of our daily "walks" are biking riding any where from 5-15km's a day. depending on how I feel, and if any one comes with me that day.

I believe every dog should be able to get out every day and stretch their legs, see differnt scenery, smell new things and do somthing exciting.

Aside from bike rides, we do the dog park atleast 5 times a week (havnt in about 2 weeks due to rain and now the pains in my stomache hurt to much for large offleash hikes. as soon as surgery is over, we will be back to them lol) he goes for car rides probably 1-2 times a day. play ball ect.

I try to keep him busy as he becomes very very VERY annoying if bored. Not that he destroys anything or miss behaves. just he follows you, right on your heels, so if you stop too soon, he crashs in to you lol.

I dont see anything wron with missing 1 or 2 days a week. I do it somtimes. and I make up for it with being annoyed the rest of the night lol.

He is easy to amuse. he was on my heels for the last 2 hours. So i tied him to the bike and just rode for 20mins. Now he is sleeping lol.

Brattina88

*raises hand*

I do :) I think walks are so much more than just exercise! We walk everyday unless the weather is extreme (rain, hail, storms, heat/cold advisory), sometimes once and sometimes twice a day. If I get home late for whatever reason I may play hide and seek, training games, fetch games, Maddie only sometimes likes to tug instead if its late and cold. She also plays with the ferrets everyday, so thats why I say walks are so much more than exercise... socialization, just getting out and smelling new smells, seeing new sights :D Maddie's usually very well behaved even when we skip a couple walks (like when we were snowed in) but Tucker is harder to live with lol. Our yard is small ;)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I think walks are about more than just exercise. i think most dogs would get pretty bored of just seeing the same 4 walls and backyard every single day..

its nice for them to get out and walk, smell new things, see different things. and all that stuff :) IMO

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I try to take least one walk a day.. 2 if I can fit it in. Sis sometimes walks Cider so I'll take Smudge out alone.. Or I'll take him once, and them together later if she's not going to get out.

Days that we've had agility, or gone to a trial it often doesn't happen but I'm trying to get a routine going and lose weight. Walking and walking daily is helping. Without the dogs I doubt I'd get out as much.

End of our walk I free them in the park for 10-20 minutes and they get free sniffing, and running time.

Brattina88

i almost never walk my dogs.
May I ask why? I am honestly just curious.

I love bully breeds, but I could never own one because I'm a big chicken. Loose dogs and idiodic people would keep me from going out with them. :eek: :eek: I would have to find a different alternative! But, like I said, I'm a big chicken about stuff like that

Lolas Dad

I take Lola for a daily walk. Usually to the beach and park across the street. There she can see different animals like a ground hog, other dogs, rabbits and one time even a doe.

We also go for bike rides with her following closely behind. Sometimes we do 4-5 miles in one shot. For such a small dog she can really keep up and the faster I go on the bike the faster she goes. There is not one time yet when she has not been able to keep up.

:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

Toller_08

I don't walk mine everyday, but I should. Ripley gets more walks than the girls since he can't go to dog parks anymore... thanks to that, I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to adequately exercise him once he's older with more energy. I'll figure it out though when the time comes! I walk him about 5 times a week currently. Keira and Dance get walked maybe once a week. Mostly just because I don't feel that the girls really benefit from a walk unless it's a couple of hours long.

elegy

overdogged
May I ask why? I am honestly just curious.

I love bully breeds, but I could never own one because I'm a big chicken. Loose dogs and idiodic people would keep me from going out with them. :eek: :eek: I would have to find a different alternative! But, like I said, I'm a big chicken about stuff like that
loose dogs primarily.

we have had bad experience after bad experience and at this point *i* am so freaking reactive that my dogs don't have a chance. i'll go hiking with a friend if i can cajole somebody into going (i'm too chicken to hike alone, especially since a friend died alone in the woods after falling while hiking), but around town? it's simply not worth the risk.

Brattina88

loose dogs primarily.

we have had bad experience after bad experience and at this point *i* am so freaking reactive that my dogs don't have a chance. i'll go hiking with a friend if i can cajole somebody into going (i'm too chicken to hike alone, especially since a friend died alone in the woods after falling while hiking), but around town? it's simply not worth the risk.
That would SO be me. There are so many loose dogs around here it is insane. Maddie is totally dog-friendly, but some come at as so agressive acting, and I'm so uptight, that of course she reacts. I've yelled at quite a few people in the neighborhood now :eek: They problem has (temporarily) lessoned... But I do have to say that I haven't run into as many "mean" dogs since I moved. I've caught several loose dogs on walks, while friendly, its super annoying. The ones by my parents dogs would send me off scared! Even without the dogs!

I much prefer hiking than walking around town :D

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I don't walk them at home because of loose dogs. Can't go around my neighborhood without running into at least two. Plus my neighborhood is boring and there's nowhere else to walk-no trails etc. Here though, there's TONS of places to walk so it's never boring. And lots of sights and smells to see. The girls light up when I grab their collars. They just love going for walks.

Plus, my back yard is a few acres and practically a papillon dogpark lol.

Members online

No members online now.