Morale boosters?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Our new GM has been sucking the life and soul out of this place and everyone is starting to put out feelers for other jobs, myself included. However, I would love to be able to get the morale back up, at least a little bit. There has been a lot of bickering and back-stabbing happening, which was something that never happened before, which was one of the best things about this job.

What has worked well for your job? What would you like to see happen if you were in a similar situation?

milos_mommy

What's the job environment like? (Office, retail, etc?)

Bring puppies in? We all played paintball together at my old job. The guys also played basketball together. We did the bar scene too, but it got kinda clique-y.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I keep trying to respond to this and it keeps turning into me bitching about the radio station. It's been almost a year since I left and I'm clearly still hurt and angry.

So instead I will just share that one time I was at Wal-Mart and they were having a sale on ice cream sandwiches, so I bought two boxes and brought them to the station and put them in the freezer, then went around the station telling everybody I liked there were ice cream sandwiches in the freezer, and we had an Ice Cream Friday. And I posted about the ice cream sandwiches on Facebook at the time and an ex-co-worker said "Okay, this is the ONE TIME I wish I still worked there."
Ice cream sandwiches.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Treats, food of any sort, does go over well usually, but I feel like that's such a minor thing. I'll see if I can get them to subsidize me making up some cupcakes or a batch of soup again.

Most of us get together on Sundays for the Bears game, but not everyone likes to drink or watch football.

It is ashamed to hear deterioration of the work environment.
Get your feelers out as you said.
At your place, I would stay focus on making a contribution as best as possible. Never stop throwing out good idea verbally.
This way you can leave all the backstabbing pricks behind. Of course don't be passive, just be clever when pointing bad things out.

Snark

Mutts to you
The people on our floor have Food Day every second Friday of the month, supposedly to celebrate the birthdays that month but it's mostly an excuse to snack all day. :D No one is obligated to bring anything but there's usually a pretty good assortment, ranging from donuts, breakfast casseroles to sweets, chips, dips and swedish meatballs.

Our company actually has a morale committee, and they've organized everything from hot dog/hamburger cookouts, chicken dinners (anyone who wants can bring a side dish for a free ticket to a year end raffle for $500) to Wii bowling tournaments (at which I suck humongously). They also organize food drives for the local shelters, again with people contributing at least 5 items getting a ticket for the raffle. One year they sold tickets for chances to hurl cream pies at management - that was fun.

Saeleofu

Nothing worked at the clinic, everything was just a temporary fix...well, until I left, and now I don't have to deal with it anymore ;)

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
Go Karting
Paintball
Sporting Events
Dave & Busters (this is by far a favorite for my office because it covers it all -- food, drinks, games, TV)

I know those aren't really things you can organize and pay for on your own, but maybe you can start with a small group? Once everyone comes back and talks about how much fun they had more people will join in.

BostonBanker

Ugh, if you find the magic cure, be sure to let us know. Our company is so incredibly low in morale, it's hardly bearable to be there many days.

The problem with a lot of the "special" things we've done is that they either exclude some people, or feel like a waste of money we don't have. Bar-b-que lunch? Awesome, except that samples arrive by Fed Ex around 10:30 or 11:00, so sample management is logging stuff in and the production staff is dealing with rush samples that can't wait an hour or so. Catered meals for special days? Why are we spending money on this when there haven't been raises in four years? Plus they try to force people to go. I pretty much yelled at our lab director when she tried to drag me out and I finally snapped and said "These are 24 hour rushes, do you really want me to leave them?!". They bought a TV and Wii and talked about setting up an "employee lounge" for people to use on break; the only people who actually take breaks at the lab are not the ones who need the boost. Plus again - yay for spending money on stuff that is not essential and doesn't really help the employees.

Bitter? Not at all.

How many people are you talking about? I feel like it is easier with fewer people.

Members online

No members online now.