First Adventures in Bikejoring...Kinda

So Traveler and I have decided to try our hands at fake bikejoring. Which involves me tying a Bungee leash to the handlebars of my bike.

Well, I think we found our new way of biking! He really really loved it, way more than running next to the bike. He just seemed to like setting the pace, being able to run full out whenever he wanted and slowing to a trot when he wanted, he liked being in front and seemed to really get into pulling.

We went past people and barking/lunging dogs and he didn't even flick an ear which is huge since he's gotten pretty gun shy of lunging dogs since we've had so many problems with them while biking. He was just super focused.

We only did around three miles and we did a fast three miles since it was 19 degrees out. My face froze. I also did discover that I did too good of job teaching Traveler to run on the right side, in the grass.

He won't run on the path in front of me completely. So we'll be working on that. But honestly since the path we were on is paved it wasn't too bad, I ride pretty close to the curb and he runs right on the edge of the grass. Hopefully when it gets better out we'll move to real trails and work on being in front in front.

Now I just need to figure out equipment since I think we'll be sticking with this.

Right now he has this harness (And yes, this is the biggest woe is me picture in the world, it was cold, he didn't want to stay and was shivering)

So, I figure I'll stick with that for now and decide what I want. I'm trying to decide between

http://howlingdogalaska.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=164

Or

http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=155

Or an x-back harness

I also need a towline and was looking at this one:

http://mountainridge.estoreadvanced.biz/index.php?p=product&id=55&parent=10

Anything else I'm forgetting? Anything I need to know?

FG167

I have nothing to offer except that holy cow, he has the BEST miserable expression ever! If I saw just this picture, I would be convinced this dog was horribly neglected and abused and needed a home ASAP LOL He's very expressive!

I think this is a fun sport to get into. I'd like to do it with Kas/Limit later so I'm interested to see what gear is recommended.

ETA: I looked at those harnesses more closely after I posted and I like the Alpine one better, a lot better - with the fit and the padding.

Brattina88

Oh the woe!!!! Poor tortured dog!!!! :rofl1:

Linds, I think I read somewhere that Traveler knows his directional commands and all that? If you ever have the time, would you mind sharing how you trained that?? :D

He has the sad face down to an art form. It's the ears, when you can turn them off and on it helps you really work the "I'm dying." look.

Linds, I think I read somewhere that Traveler knows his directional commands and all that? If you ever have the time, would you mind sharing how you trained that?? :D
I've been biking with him since he was under a year about so it's just what he's picked up in the last two years. When I'm slowing I would say "Slow" when I wanted to speed up I would say "Faster" when I wanted him to get closer to the bike I would say "Get in" and swerve to the side away from him.

For left and right he's not AS solid on because I didn't need them really as much when he was next to me. I would say "Turn" and he would focus more on where I was going. But I did make an effort. Overall though I go to the same places so he kinda knows the way anyways at this point so I don't really know how much he knows vs how much he is actively listening.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I <3 my Urban Trail Harness! It's what I had Maggie wear whenever I took her out rollerblading with me.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I don't have anything useful to add except holy crap poor Traveler's woe face.

JacksonsMom

LOL, omg, Trav, you poor neglected angel. Want to come live with me for a while? You're obviously clearly abused. :rofl1:

That looks like fun! I wish Jax was a little bigger to do that. I've rode the bike with him running next to it, but not for long distances, and I just hold the leash out, but I'm always too nervous he's going to decide to run in front of me, so I don't do it often lol. He loves rollerblading though!

So I just wanted to update this since spring is getting here and we're going on more bike rides on real paths.

He's doing AWESOME and it's more fun than I can believe! I still have the same harness because I haven't made a decision yet on another one but it seems to be doing good.

He is completely dedicated to running though, it's a fight sometimes to get him to slow down because slow means just slow for a second, then speed back up apparently. For those who do this, how much do you let them set the pace and how much do you slow them down? Traveler wants to be in a full gallop the whole time and I'm not sure how much I should let him self regulate.

He's doing great passing people, doesn't even spare them or dogs a glance at all.

We're doing about five miles right now with a break half way of fetch.

And let me say one more time: SO.MUCH.FUN.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Great! It sounds like he is loving it!

I liked all those harness options. The Second Skin one looks neat and comfortable. I tried the x-back for my bike-joring, but switched the the Urban trail harness and I know have one for each of my dogs. I chose that one because I can use it for other things, like taking a walk or tracking. (But the SEcond skin one is so cool!)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Does the second skin harness come small enough for Trav? Or do they custom make? At a glance, my girls would wear the small or medium and they are both bigger than Trav.

Does the second skin harness come small enough for Trav? Or do they custom make? At a glance, my girls would wear the small or medium and they are both bigger than Trav.
Hmmm, not when I measure him but he does weigh 40 lb. I didn't notice the sizing before.

GoingNowhere

Very cool! I have one question- how do you deal with distractions? If the dog tries to veer or takes off, is that essentially a recipe for falling? Or is the system attached so that you can still be in control of the bike? I know that Boo would probably be fine 90% of the time until a random deer popped up on the side of the path, etc, etc and then that would be the end of me! Traveler must be a very good boy.

Very cool! I have one question- how do you deal with distractions? If the dog tries to veer or takes off, is that essentially a recipe for falling? Or is the system attached so that you can still be in control of the bike? I know that Boo would probably be fine 90% of the time until a random deer popped up on the side of the path, etc, etc and then that would be the end of me! Traveler must be a very good boy.
I'm really never had an issue with him, he's pretty focused on his task. The one time we had a deer run and stop on the path in front of us we both slammed on the breaks but he didn't have any inclination to chase after.

But, remember I started with him running next to the bike, much more control there. And he's only 40 lb, so not that big.

But yeah, the biggest issue we face is charging dogs and so far with him running in front I've managed to be super vigilant enough to see ahead and call out to anyone. I am ALWAYS looking ahead, behind, around etc. Listening for anyone up ahead, behind me, looking through trees to see what's coming up. I also have a second leash currently attached to his collar that is longer than the bungee cord attached to his harness to bring him to my side if need be because I'm paranoid.

I am though always waiting for that fall. I always wear a helmet because I know I'm do for a bad spill one of these days.

Katem

I really want to try this with Pig this Spring. She runs along side the bike now for safety reasons. We bike on roads. They're quiet roads, but I don't feel comfortable not having the bike/me between her and any passing cars. I'm looking into dog-friendly bike trails though and would like to have her out in front.

I can't really tell by the pictures, but do you have anything to prevent the line from getting tangled up in the front wheel? Maybe Trav is just considerably taller than Pig, because I think a line would touch my front wheel even if she was doing a good job of keeping it taut at all times.

DenoLo

We canicross, not bikejor but I really really love the urban trail for my weirdly shaped dog. She seems very comfortable pulling in it and it just feels well put together.

Members online

No members online now.