Dogs and Airplane Pressure

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
I had no idea where to post this so you can move it if you want :)

Anyway, I just remembered something. You know that pressure you get in your ears when the plane is going up and again when it's going down? I was wondering if dogs get that too and how can I reduce it? Can I give it something to eat? And since we're on the subject, what are safe treats for me to use in training with my beagle pup? My dad said pieces of cheese or tiny slices of sausages. Is that ok? Thanks in advance for your help :D

SouthernPit

For PIT's SAKE!!!!
Hello,
We have flown dogs to us from all over the world, and have always been told not to feed them before a flight, so they do not use the bathroom in the crate. So I really dont know..

I never even thought about ear pressure.....I bet it would be the same for a dog as a human...I may be wrong , but it would seem logical....

Tara

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Yes, I'm not planing on feeding her, just a little piece of something so that the swallowing motion blocks out the pressure, you know what I mean?

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
I never even thought about the pressure, either. That is a good point. Harley was flown up to NSW from Victoria when he was about 6-9 months old, and he went fine.

Cheese is good but I wouldn't feed it to your dog too much as it can be quite fattening and is quite milky (some dogs don't tollerate this too well). Same with sausage, I think it might be a bit fattening, though I'm really not sure. Abby LOOOVES cheese, we only give it to her very rarely. Try all kinds of vegetables, especially carrot as a treat.

avenlee

I'm not sure about the air pressure in traveling by airplane. Both of my dog's ears are sensitive and I would imagine there would be some sort of discomfort? I've never been in the situation though.

As for the treats. Well, if I gave my dogs a piece of brocolli and they actually ate it and I called it a treat, well.. then it would be a treat. My point is watch what you feed your dogs if your worried about fattening foods. Anything can be called a 'treat'. It doesn't matter what it is. Hope you get my drift :)

Members online

No members online now.