I wish I could teach my friend's wolf cross some things...

Well, my friend has a wolf cross, and this boy needs to learn some manners, he is an outdoor dog.. Full time, has a kennel like thing, which is very nice, but no place for him to run.. :( He doesn't get daily walks, he nipped at me when I met him, and my friend told me not to do what I was doing because my hands were cold, and I want to teach Spirit some things. Thats his name. I loved that name. lol, but anyways, this guy is 90% wolf, and the rest of him is husky. eek!!! He is HUGE!!! It takes two people to get him from place to place. :yikes: This dog is old, and my friend loves this dog very much. This guy was gotten a long time ago. So I can't really do anything about it, he's not my dog, and I wonder if my friend might be willing to let me work with his dog.. I don't know, I would love to, if my friend would let me. I had to vent about this. Because this poor guy had to stay outside the whole winter, and all of you guys know how cold it was. Thank you for reading!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Spirit dear, for your safety, please do NOT attempt to teach this dog anything. Wolf crosses are notoriously hard to train, verging on impossible in some cases and tend to be very aggressive towards people outside of their immediate family. They have to be kept outside because no house will hold them and survive the experience.

Admire from afar, but don't get hands-on with this one.

ACooper

I don't know much about wolf-hybrids.........but Zoom's advice sounds very good to me. Please heed her warnings for your own safety, and that of the dog..........if it should hurt you, the dog would be in danger of being put down as well.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Spirit, you really need to spend all your training time working with Hershey, particularly since he is off leash very often.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
and don't forget about Whisper--she needs your time and attention too! Better off leaving the neighbor's dog/wolf alone!

noludoru

Bored Now.
What they said.

Besides, I doubt he's 90% wolf or anything like it. Most of the so-called wolf hybrids have little to no wolf in them, and more doglike personalities. But that doesn't matter. Everyone is right... if he really does have any wolf in him, please stay away from him. Wolf hybrids and wolves should ONLY be dealt with by knowledgeable adults. Please refuse to be around him or in an enclosure with him.. if he does have wolf in him (and has tried to nip you!) it is never safe.

I agree with the others, I strongly recommend you do not try to train this wolf especially since he has already nipped you. Real hybrids can be extremely dangerous. They have the strong prey drive from the wolf and the comfort of humans from the dog. They are best left to be only handled by those who know a lot about wolf AND dog behaviour and has had plenty of experience in training. Please focus on training your own dogs before investing time in someone else's.

ETA: You shouldnt feel bad if a Siberian or wolf has to stay outside over the winter months if they have a proper doghouse/shelter and are properly taken care of. These guys are built for cold and can take very severe cold. I know some Huskies who very rarely even use their doghouse because they would rather just sleep in the snow curled up and let the snow build up over them for warmth or they tunnel down into the snow and make a little nest. Other breeds can take the cold extremely well too like the Caucasian Ovcharka and the Sakhalin Husky and the Alaskan Malamute. Heck, if given the proper shelter almost any breed can live outside comfortably.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.