My Dog is Not House trained

skyhigh

I thought you said you were getting a pup too? I would train this one before you get another one. Take away his water 3 hours before bed time. Take him outside every so often...

Saje

Island dweller
Have you housetrained a dog before? Is this your new pup? :confused:

What have you been doing to housebreak him?

I don't believe in taking water away from animals.

Saje

Island dweller
I know that a lot of people do it but water is such an important part of all bodily funtions. And young dogs are particularly vulnerable to temperature flucuations... I just don't like it. I'd rather get up in the middle of the night until they learn to hold it. Just my opinion! I know others find it works for them.

tcreed

Is he marking, or peeing because he has to go. I found out my JRT was marking, so to stop I put a leash on her, and because she slept in bed right next to me, she found she no longer could just jump off the bed to mark. (she did not have to go potty outside) This stopped her from 'marking' in the bedroom.

skyhigh

Sage-I live in Australia where it doesn't get very hot. Thats why my dogs don't always need water. But they have it available all the time. I was just saying that becuase that's what others would of suggested. I'm getting a pup this week and we're going to teach her to go potty in one area so we can clean it up there. (This is outside) Anyway, cya

Yes he has been housetrained. the past few weeks he acts like he is not housetrained. I have housetrained a puppy. But never housetrained a 3yr old fixed male dog! What should I Do?

The problem of taking water is that I don't have cold air in my house. So water is the only thing he can cool of. the strangest thing is that he doesn't Pee or poop in a closed area like my brother and my parents and me. What do you think I should do?

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
He's 3 years old...? Hm... I think it's some sort of scent he's trying to cover... try some Nature's Miracle on the spots he goes on.

Was he completely house trained until just recently? If so, he may be scenting maybe another dog? Or he's just being territorial...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I'm having the same problem with my almost 1 year old fixed male dog. I have just been taking him out every hour and he has been going. At night I crate him or else he will go in our bedroom (which sometimes he will go in his crate anyways). When he goes outside praise him A LOT and give him a really tasty treat. If he goes inside don't rub his nose in it or hit him or anything just ignore him. It's best to not let him see you clean up his mess either. Use a really good cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Keep your dog on a set schedule and he will eventually be able to hold it. My dogs are never home alone so they are always taken out every hour (except our little pup who is taken out every ten minutes or so). All our dogs, for the most part, sleep through the night without having to go (except the dog who is almost a year old).

Members online

No members online now.