Pig snouts, pig ears ... are they ok?

I was watching that E-Vet on tv and an episode had a dog eat a whole bag of pig ears. The Vet said he wasn't a fan of pig ears because they are coated with a sugar substance or something like that. I have been looking online to find where they list the ingredients but to no avail.
I am wondering if the pig snouts I keep seeing are similar. I think they would last longer but am not sure. RedBarn seems to have an abundance of them at every dog show. I'm going to one next weekend and wondering what y'alls opinion is on them. My dogs get bully stix right now to gnaw on. Lately the knuckle bones have been giving Gabbi explosive diarhea. She has such a sensitive stomach.
Thanks!

I've never heard of the sugar coat/substance. The kind I've given in the past have just been smoked. I don't give them anymore - Hannah can demolish them in less than two minutes, and she's prone to swallowing chunks. We do give the pig snouts though, they last a tiny bit longer for her, and don't seem to be a choking hazard for her. I buy them from Merrick and I don't believe they use any kind of "glaze" or coating.

Bully sticks are great - look on Ebay for good deals.

Minnie loves pigs ears! They are certainly not an everyday treat, more of a settle down snak when we have a visitor LOL. I have bought them from several different places but can't remember anything other than pork being the listed ingredient

DanL

I've never heard of the sugar coat/substance. The kind I've given in the past have just been smoked. I don't give them anymore - Hannah can demolish them in less than two minutes, and she's prone to swallowing chunks. We do give the pig snouts though, they last a tiny bit longer for her, and don't seem to be a choking hazard for her. I buy them from Merrick and I don't believe they use any kind of "glaze" or coating.

Bully sticks are great - look on Ebay for good deals.
lol @ the swallowing chunks. Daisy demolished a half a chicken in about 2 minutes the other day. She cracks the bones enough to get them straightened out and gulps it down. I gave her a pound of ground turkey the other day for breakfast, it was gone almost as soon as the bowl hit the floor! An entirely different attitude towards eating than Gunnar has. He seems to savor his food while she just wants to get it down so she can try and steal someone elses!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Cider's 25 pounds. She can't have pig ears anymore. They are so fatty she pukes all over the next day. She does chew them up well though- no gulping.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie gets lamb ears. I picked these up because I knew my sister's shelties can be really touchy with pig ears, and lamb ears are great for allergy dogs. He's never had a problem with them, and I gave Happy & Kota one and they both did just fine with them.
The cool thing is, they also have mini lamb ears, so he can have a little treat but it won't take him an hour or so to chew it up, LOL!

If you can get them, I'd try lamb ears instead.

Maxy24

we got Max pig skin in the shape of pig ears. The ingredients said: pig skin, so it was all natural. He liked them and I don't see why they could be bad, it depends what kind and what they put on it (like preservatives)

I have read about pigs ears being high in fat, but they do make ear pieces these days for a smaller treat. Most sites I have looked at also say that pig ears made outside of canada/us are the ones causing a lot of issues due to the different guidelines in other countries?

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I just don't give Tosca that stuff anymore. An occasional bully stick. I give her raw bones for chewing and gnawing. marrow bones mostly. and knuckle bones. After my rawhide experience, I decided to just stay away from treats that appear to be like stiff leather.

Members online

No members online now.