Meet Joey

Aleron

If the ILP does go through as a purebred, he can most likely still not course, any default that would send the Ibizan Hound out of the ring at a confirmation show will also disqualify them from coursing, ILP or not. They are not as strict as they are with whippets, but they do judge color in Ibizan's during the inspection.

But he can still do CAT, agility and obedience!
I didn't even think about the rule that they can't have any DQ faults but yeah, that could be an issue even if he was ILP'd

momto8

Why in the world would they judge color for lure coursing? That makes no sense to me.
they do it in alot of breeds,

RR's can't be ridge-less
Italian Greyhounds can't be brindle
PH's can't have disqualifying white ( shoulders, neck ect)
Deerhounds can't have white blazes on the head or a white collar
Whippets is extremely strict actually judging eye color, bite, and height

Tahla9999

RR's can't be ridge-less
Why do they do that when it comes to lure coursing?

Tahla9999

I have no idea, its just the rules I was given when i started, applies for both asfa and akc
This just pisses me off. Dogs just can't have a little fun without people putting stupid limitations on which dog can do it. Dog politics at its finest.

elegy

overdogged
That is so bizarre and so, well, sad.

He's a lovely dog, whatever his faults. I hope he does well for you :)

Romy

Taxiderpy

RR's can't be ridge-less
Whoa, this is baffling to me. :confused::confused::confused: I've never heard of DQ conformation faults applying to performance venues. With GSDs, white is a DQ conformation fault, but the dog can still be registered and compete in all other performance events as a GSD. I mean, if it's bred to a colored dog it produces all colored offspring.

Very very bizarre. Is it maybe a local club rule? I've just never heard of/seen it enforced around here.

ETA: Maybe it is a local rule. Here's what the ASFA rule book says about disqualifications and dismissals. No mention whatsoever about conformation faults.

http://asfa.org/rule/index.htm

Section 1. Hounds shall be dismissed from the field by a judge, for the day, for interfering (aggressively or playfully) with the course of another hound. (Growling and/or barking, in and of itself, does not constitute grounds for dismissal.)

Section 2. Hounds shall be disqualified by the judge, or by agreement of both judges where two are used, for the following reason: fighting - the aggressor in fighting in the field. In the event that only one of two judges disqualifies a hound, this disqualification constitutes a dismissal.
ETAETA: And then this too says nothing about DQ faults.

Chapter X
BREED DISQUALIFICATIONS
The ASFA will accept and abide by all AKC breed standards and disqualifications for the ASFA- recognized sighthound breeds. A list of breed disqualifications is included in the appendix of this rulebook.
ETAETAETA: lol, this is getting ridiculous. I did find something finally... but it doesn't say anything about nose leather and eye color. Just that he has to be white and red. :cool:

Ibizan Hound – (US) Any color other than white or red.
Incidentally, they also accept podengos.

Portuguese Podengo (all three varieties and both coat types) - (US) Eyes of two different colors; bent or lopped ears; undershot or overshot bite; brindle; black and tan; tricolor or totally white colors; aggression or overly shy behavior.

Last edited:

Aleron

Whoa, this is baffling to me. :confused::confused::confused: I've never heard of DQ conformation faults applying to performance venues. With GSDs, white is a DQ conformation fault, but the dog can still be registered and compete in all other performance events as a GSD. I mean, if it's bred to a colored dog it produces all colored offspring.

Very very bizarre. Is it maybe a local club rule? I've just never heard of/seen it enforced around here.
It's not a local rule, it is an AKC rule.

"Lure Coursing breeds with disqualifications, as listed in the AKC Breed Standards, are ineligible to enter lure coursing trials and tests. The following are the disqualifications for FSS Breeds that have been approved for lure coursing." http://www.akc.org/events/lure_coursing/fss_dis_faults.cfm

And from the actual regulations:

"Spayed and neutered hounds are eligible to participate in AKC Lure Coursing Test and Trial Events; monorchid and
cryptorchid hounds are ineligible."

"Hounds with breed disqualifications, as listed in The AKC Breed
Standards, are ineligible to enter AKC Lure Coursing Tests and Trials."

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/events/lure_coursing/revised_rules_jan09.pdf

Although it only lists one disqualification for Ibizans: "IBIZAN HOUNDS – Any color other than white or red."

Romy

Taxiderpy
It's not a local rule, it is an AKC rule.

"Lure Coursing breeds with disqualifications, as listed in the AKC Breed Standards, are ineligible to enter lure coursing trials and tests. The following are the disqualifications for FSS Breeds that have been approved for lure coursing." http://www.akc.org/events/lure_coursing/fss_dis_faults.cfm

And from the actual regulations:

"Spayed and neutered hounds are eligible to participate in AKC Lure Coursing Test and Trial Events; monorchid and
cryptorchid hounds are ineligible."

"Hounds with breed disqualifications, as listed in The AKC Breed
Standards, are ineligible to enter AKC Lure Coursing Tests and Trials."

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/events/lure_coursing/revised_rules_jan09.pdf

Although it only lists one disqualification for Ibizans: "IBIZAN HOUNDS – Any color other than white or red."
Thanks for finding that! I was going to look up AKC next. Maybe the reason I haven't noticed any inspecting happening is I have borzois and they don't have any DQs to worry about. Since it doesn't specify nose leather or eye color he'll probably be okay.

momto8

Since it doesn't specify nose leather or eye color he'll probably be okay.
That is what I hope! I think she should email the AKC and ask them, that way she doesn't spend the money to go to a LC event in advance, plus gas ect to only get there and for the inspection committee to say no :(

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Joey is so cute and happy! :) I love it when he has his ears back.

I'm so glad you were able to keep him... he is really a ray of sunshine when you need it, and I firmly believe that you were meant to find each other. Both of you are very lucky!!! I can't wait until he's back at home with you.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
This just pisses me off. Dogs just can't have a little fun without people putting stupid limitations on which dog can do it. Dog politics at its finest.
This. It's always frustrated me that so many limitations are put on dogs when it comes to certain sporting events. I could understand him not being able to be shown obviously, but to chase a lure... I don't get why there are so many rules as to what dog can or cannot. I'm going to contact AKC and be upfront and honest with them and tell them that the person I got him from said he is purebred and just see what they say from there. It wouldn't hurt. If they say no, they say no and I can still do CAT but its not the same.

Either way, as much as I badly badly want to lure course there are so many things I can do with him. There's CAT... I could do rally-o probably.... I just really want to course with other sighthounds though.

He is looking SO much better already weight wise.

Here's a photo from the day I picked him up that I had put on instagram.

And here are a few pictures the girl who has him for now just posted of him.

Can I get on the bed please?

And three more new videos of him playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvzV9d6Pz5c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV7eo2XmU6w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1iaWd_aAZ0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Holy legs Batman, hahaha. He's like 90% leg. XD
I'm super glad you're able to keep him. <3

Members online

No members online now.