Rally Classes.

Gypsydals

I have a couple of questions about us starting our rally classes next week. Having not ever taken any formal OB type classes. What should I expect? I'm thinking its going to be a small class. Judging by the time of day and as of a week and a half ago, they only had 3 people interested (need 5). So I'm assuming they got atleast 5.
Also its an 8 week class, so what would be the chances of us being ready for a trial the end of May(memorial day weekend)?
Anything I should bring besides the basics?

The only down fall I see to having an 11 am class is. There is going to be no way to tire Ivan out before class. LOL Not to mention even if I was able to, he would rest on the way down there (1 hour 1 way) and be ready and chomping at the bit to go.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Cider and I have never done formal ob. Our class was 6 weeks long, and we were prepared to trial after. Took work outside class on our own for a better hel though. We got 2 Qs, a first and a second. Was our first competition ever.

Have multiple choices for rewards. It took a lot to get Cider to focus on something she didn't find uber cool. It was aggravating at times..

Gypsydals

Have multiple choices for rewards. It took a lot to get Cider to focus on something she didn't find uber cool. It was aggravating at times..
That right there is what I fear is going to happen with Ivan. Its been a while since hes been out let lone out and around other dogs. I already have a different variety of store bought treats (if the kids having given them all to him already). But I was thinking about adding some cheese and jerky to the mix as well. Not sure if a tug would be appropriate to take or not, or if he would even pay attention to it.
After a few weeks of class, I plan on bringing out the ultimate distraction for him (the neighbor LOL).

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Take all the arsenal you have. No reason not to take a tug. When it's your turn see if he wants to play. I have to admit Cider has a championship in rally these days, and it's still not a game I can keep her as well interested in it as you'd think.. Happy to play with mom, happy to work for food.. but often there are things to sniff on the floor at a trial better than I am.

Gypsydals

but often there are things to sniff on the floor at a trial better than I am.
All the freaking time with him. LOL I swear hes a spotty hound the way his nose is on the floor all the time.
I shall take all the arsenal with me. I shall have to look for a small tug.

Saeleofu

Classes here are mostly run-throughs. Once everyone knows the signs, you take turns running courses. If your dog needs to work on something in particular, you can re-do that station as needed or do the station you need work on instead of whatever station is there (for example, do a stand-stay-walk around instead of a sit-stay-walk around). The first 1-2 classes of each level are dedicated to learning signs. After novice level it's actually closer to the first half of the first class learning whatever new signs are needed for the next level. Intermediate and Excellent are combined in the same class where I go, so once you're ready you can start doing the excellent signs instead of the intermediate.

Classes are helpful, but it's a LOT of hurry up and wait. Our classes have anywhere from 3-8 people. My handling class, on the other hand, had 2 people in it the first time so it was more running and less waiting (last time though we had 6, so more waiting).

The only down fall I see to having an 11 am class is. There is going to be no way to tire Ivan out before class. LOL Not to mention even if I was able to, he would rest on the way down there (1 hour 1 way) and be ready and chomping at the bit to go.
Most trials are in the morning/early afternoon around here, so an AM class is actually good practice. I think the latest I've ever actually competed in rally was around 4ish pm, and only because they were running late.

Gypsydals

Most trials are in the morning/early afternoon around here, so an AM class is actually good practice. I think the latest I've ever actually competed in rally was around 4ish pm, and only because they were running late.
I have to admit the classes are mostly for me. LOL It will be interesting to see how different he is with an AM class. I know when we where showing, he well was not overly interested in the fast pace of going around the ring.

Members online

No members online now.