So relieved!q

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
OMG, I am so relieved right now!

You guys didn't know, but I've had issues getting Hyde to eat. He's almost half the size of Zeek now because he would not eat anything. At first, I let them hunt, but watched as they ate them. And Hyde showed no interest what-so-ever in going after them. While Zeek was hunting crickets and gobbling them up, Hyde was sitting in his log. Just, hiding.

Then I tried handfeeding (tweezers) and still, he refused to eat them. He'd turn away and not even look at the wriggling crickets.

So I tried worms, still no go. Flies, nope. He wouldn't eat anything. He started getting seriously bony and I was worried he would die as it was more than a week since he ate a single thing. Probably about 10 days without any food, and for a little guy that is way more than bad.

So, per suggestion from someone on a frog board, I put him in a small container alone with a lid with holes in it for air. I sprayed some water on him to keep him warm and put him under a light (not directly though).

I then put exactly 5 small worms, 3 flies, and 6 small legless crickets. I went back later to check on him and his tummy looked larger and 3 crickets where gone!! :D I then made sure by putting 2 more crickets in and he launched himself across the container in one bound and grabbed the cricket off the side!! I'm so over-excited about this I just had to share!!!

YAY! I think he's going to make it now! I put him back in his terrarium with Zeek and put the last cricket in with him. Hyde, again, positioned himself to watch the cricket and went after it. So he's still hunting, even when he's not alone again! And he's SOO much greener! yayayay!

Oh and Zeek is a fat, hungry man and getting big. lol

wow im glad it all worked out for you.

I would have thought frogs were simple to take care of too.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
wow--who knew frogs could be so complicated?? I'm glad you figured it out!
Thanks!!! :D

LOL I said below, but they really aren't that complicated. But they ARE living animals that have needs, just like a dog/cat, they just need less together time with you.

wow im glad it all worked out for you.

I would have thought frogs were simple to take care of too.
Thanks! I'm so excited he's eating! He is still SO small compared to Zeek though! I'll have to get a pic of them together one day to show you the difference!

LOL they are, compared to dogs/cats. ;) They need less "together" time. A lot less! haha, they could care less if you where there (might prefer you not to be there even) but they do need to keep moist, be fed, and have a good terrarium to keep them happy and healthy. Plus you should clean their tank every week or so. But it's not much work really! You just can't stress them out or they get picky or sick.

Like I said, not too hard to care for if you've got the right set-up and know how. ;)

Members online

No members online now.