Just wondering...

Snark

Mutts to you
If you have a crate available for your dog to sleep in (free choice), do they sleep in the crate, or on top of it?

Mick prefers to sleep on top of his wire crate, rather than inside. Maybe I should have named him Snoopy...

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams sleeps in his crate. I actually tried to have him sleep in the bedroom with me loose the other night, and he just alerted to every little thing so I finally got tired of having him jar me awake and put him in his crate in the livingroom, where he slept like a baby.

Cynder now also sleeps in a crate after she's been pooping on the floor in the middle of the night...she hates it, but oh well, she'll get over it.

Blackie, my childhood Labrador, LOVED to sleep outside on "his" picnic table, and Kiba, a Pittie I fostered, like to sleep on top of his dog house outside.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin sleeps in his crate lol I use it as a shelf so sadly there is no getting on top of it with the books up there

I've tried him sleeping out but he settles SO MUCH BETTER, in a crate. When out and about he moves around too much lol

He goes willingly in there.. he never gets bully sticks anywhere else :rofl1:

CaliTerp07

Lucy never goes willingly into a crate. She will sleep on the sofa, in the middle of the floor, on a rug, on a loose bed....but never in a crate.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Payton probably COULD get up on top of the crates but it would be a feat - Pepper's crate is on top of his. There's a bunch of crap on top of Auggie's too. Pepper will sometime jump on top of Georgie's crate and is then surprised she didn't just jump into her own crate...
Pepper sleeps better in a crate and if it's close to her bedtime and we're not in the bedroom, she'll go into Auggie's crate to lay down there.

Payton's crate is open at night and in the bedroom, but he doesn't sleep in it. Ever. He sleeps on the bed, in the dog bed, or just sprawled on the floor. I have never seen him choose to go into the crate and lay down there.

Auggie sleeps on my bed 99% of the time, the other 1% on the dog bed on the floor.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Penn sleeps on our bed ..or on her bed ..or on the couch. She uses her crate to escape if we have people (usually the nephews) over& she's getting tired/ overwhelmed. Everyone knows the rule -she's in there, don't touch her. She would never sleep on top of her crate though as I don't think it's comfy enough for her!

If you have a crate available for your dog to sleep in (free choice), do they sleep in the crate, or on top of it?

Mick prefers to sleep on top of his wire crate, rather than inside. Maybe I should have named him Snoopy...
hahaha I think I would like to see a photo if possible :)

In it. When he was wee, Squash ventured on top of a crate a couple of times but even at that age it didn't really support him lol.

ETA: Mostly he goes in there to "remind" me that it's mealtime rather than to rest, though.

Snark

Mutts to you
I guess I should add that Murph and Riley will occasionally sleep in a crate but they prefer the dog beds. Mick doesn't sleep on top of the crate all the time, but he's on top of it enough that I added a blanket for some padding.

Airn

Gwen had a soft crate on top of the wire crate. Bena went into the wire, Gwen into the soft. Most nights when we crate Bena, Gwen will jump up onto the wire crate and lay down. She also loves to sleep on the back of the couch. She's a very vertical dog.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Teagan is kennelled trained and actually likes her kennel, but it's put away in the garage, unless we are traveling. Teagan always sleeps on the bed with us at night.

Panzer sleeps in his kennel at night in our bedroom. He gets to come up on the bed for naps or sometime for the whole night during the week. The top of his kennel is used for storing stuff so there will be no jumping ontop of it.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Mine don't choose to crate, they crate fine when I ask and they will dive in and out in the dog room hoping I am feeding them but otherwise they have dog beds, the couch, and our bed.

Arnold and Tucker used to seek crates though.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Feist hasn't figured out the magic of sleeping on top of a crate yet, only under the crate mat. She loves her crate, goodness knows why since I really haven't made it a magical sparkle place or anything.

Saeleofu

Logan's crate has the mouse enclosure, light box, and other assorted stuff on top of it, so on top is not an option. He actually sleeps on the raised dog bed next it, or sometimes in bed with me. Gavroche ALWAYS sleep in bed with me.

I'm considering putting the raised bed IN the crate, since Gavroche doesn't get crated anymore and is on my bed all the time, and Logan hasn't tried to eat the raised bed (yet).

Assamiea

During the day both of mine choose the dog beds on the floor and if it's hot Baxter chooses the tiled floor and wraps himself around the vent so the air conditioning blows on him. Around 10 every night Rocky will ask to go upstairs (we have a gate on the stairs since his knee surgery) and he'll go upstairs, run into his crate and grumble for you to close the crate door.

Neither of mine have ever chosen to go on top of the crates. I don't think they even know that the top of the crates exist.

AliciaD

On second thought...
Cam and Duncan have free access to their crates, but neither one of them would dare sleep on top of it! For one thing, I tend to store/place things on top of their crates, Duncan is a giant and I don't think the crate could support him.

You should definitely call your dog Snoopy.

Dekka

Just try me..
I stack my crates, and they argue over who gets to be in the top one. When I had a spot above the crates at my old place, they always wanted to be up there (the JRTs)

Members online