A Clicker Is A Reward Marker

• Thread starter RedyreRottweilers
  • Start date
R

RedyreRottweilers

Dr2Little,

I loved your clicker post.

Could you please explain with some examples how you use the clicker as a marker, and exactly how you fade it when a behavior is being presented?

thank you. :D

Dekka

Just try me..
Not Dr.. But I know I know lol

You don't need to fade a clicker. Its not part of the exercise, it comes after. You can stop using the clicker at any point. But generally when the dog has the behaviour on cue you no longer need the clicker, unless you want to refine something.

Not Dr.. But I know I know lol

You don't need to fade a clicker. Its not part of the exercise, it comes after. You can stop using the clicker at any point. But generally when the dog has the behaviour on cue you no longer need the clicker, unless you want to refine something.
This is absolutely true and reading it makes me think that I used the word FADE, instead of making the point that as soon as the behaviour appears clear (light bulb moment for the dog), I simply drop the clicker into my pocket, add the cue and work on distance, duration and distraction.

I like to shape behaviours much more than lure them simply because I find that capturing a behaviour, takes the visible rewards out of the equation and lessens the risk of confusing the presence of a lure with it becoming part of the cue. Eg..dog sees treat and automatically sits. The lure becomes part of the cue or in some case the entire cue instead of having the reward come after the click (clear reinforcer). This also confuses students and their dogs who end up relying on the presence of a lure in order for behaviour compliance.

I do use lures, don't get me wrong..and I find that sometimes luring is invaluable but if I can shape as quickly and with as much accuracy, then shaping is my first choice. Getting rid of the 'middle man' as soon as possible without compromising reliability.

If I do use a lure, I'm very careful to only use a visible lure for the lowest number of reps possible before the lure disappears and becomes a clear reinforcer from out of my pocket/off of a shelf/from across the room.

An example..hmmm. Well, I am silent when waiting for a behaviour to be offered. Of course I don't ask for anything but wait patiently for something to be offered though I do often set the stage for success. The second something I like is offered, I click/treat...PRAISE and repeat.
It depends so much on what I'm asking for. I will only click for as few reps. as possible, as soon as I see that an animal offers without hesitation..that's my cue to drop the clicker.

I have to add that when training other animals, the clicker is used for much longer -

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Doc, when are we going to see a whole thread dedicated to your work with the zoo animals?

Soon, please!!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Oooh, I'd like to see that too! I'm always interested in what's going on with our training guru, LOL.

Doc, when are we going to see a whole thread dedicated to your work with the zoo animals?

Soon, please!!
I haven't done any for months...:( In the fall I'll have more good stuff!:D

Teaser......this was taken just prior to an alpha roll....:rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.