He hates cars!!

Hi, I have a 6 month old fox terrier called Freddie. When we are out, he walks really well to heel until a car or bike passes us. He either gets really scared and barks like mad or he tries to chase it nearly pulling me over. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem with traffic and got any ideas to train him out of it. It doesnt seem to be the noise that he is reacting to but rather the movement. I would be grateful for any ideas! Thanks.
ps. Freddie loves being IN my car and shows no reaction to traffic through the window.

That's a tough one. First, I strongly suggest using a halter to walk him instead of a collar, it just gives you so much more control.

When a car or bike approaches, stop immediately and tell Freddie to sit. Make him sit until the vehicle is past, telling him to be quiet. When he gets up prematurely (and he will), make him sit back down and wait until you tell him to come on, or whatever phrase you want to use to tell him to continue the walk.

Sorry to have to break it to you, but this one's going to take time - and patience.

Debi

What Renee suggested is sooooooo good. I did that with Hammie...made him sit until the car passed...and now he automatically just does it. I didn't do it with Addie and she ALWAYS tries to run beside the car passing. You really, really have to have a good hold on her. She is now 3, and I'm trying hard to break her by having her sit. I'm not having any success yet, so it's pretty frustrating. Course, I've posted this prior, but Addie is awful on a leash anyway. Been working on that for 3 years. My hubby always tells me "some day she will be wonderful to walk.....she'll be really old, but wonderful" :( My whole point to this rambling is do that training now! You'll be soooooo glad you did.

Thanks guys!

Thank you so much for the advice. It is sometimes hard to know if you are doing the right thing. I am going to start practising getting Freddie to sit when a car comes past today! Wish me luck, I think I'm going to need it!
Best wishes.

Members online