Do you ask your Vet for training advice?

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
No.... I've never met a Vet who specialized in training in any way. It is however VERY important to me that my Vet doesn't suppor or recommend any trainers that I consider abusive. A lot of Vets get paid by Sit Means Sit and Barkbusters to advertise for them and it doesn't fly with me! My Vet only recommends one of the two local trainers that I love and that use dog friendly methods.

Just like I don't expect my Vet to double as a nutritionist, I don't expect him to also be a trainer. There is soooooo much that they have to learn to begin with, more than doctors! But I do expect my Vet to be informed and knowledgable enough to be informative and up to date, and to recommend professionals that are certified and science based.

adojrts

lol here is question number 2.

The general opinion is no, so would you then take the recommendation of a trainer from them? Considering that most of the vets are limited in their knowledge on training and methods, how could they know who was a good trainer then???? :)

Btw, the reason I am asking is because clients tell me all the time about the advice they have been given by their vet or staff at a clinic. And frankly it is scary. I also know vets that recommend trainers that I would run from.........but keep in mind I am talking about the general public here and not even reasonably educated dog people :)

Brattina88

lol here is question number 2.

The general opinion is no, so would you then take the recommendation of a trainer from them? Considering that most of the vets are limited in their knowledge on training and methods, how could they know who was a good trainer then???? :)

Btw, the reason I am asking is because clients tell me all the time about the advice they have been given by their vet or staff at a clinic. And frankly it is scary. I also know vets that recommend trainers that I would run from.........but keep in mind I am talking about the general public here and not even reasonably educated dog people :)
Well, I guess it depends on the vet. Because my vet recommended our agility trainer to me when I asked, and I looked into it and found it to be a good recommendation. But they know me and my methods... and he knew better than to recommend a trainer with methods I do not agree with :rofl1:

But honestly I'd bet anything the only reason they know is from hearing it from other clients. My vets office isn't huge and we all know eachother, word of mouth is one of the best "advertisements" there is when it comes to our dog community lol. That goes for groomers, breeders, trainers, rescues in my immediate area

elegy

overdogged
I wouldn't ask my vets for training advice because, well, I'm far more interested in and involved in training/behavior than they are. But I do think the local person that we refer to is decent, and the really serious cases we refer to UPenn.

Saeleofu

NO. We do refer people to a trainer (the same trainer I use, she's fantastic) but I shudder when my vet tries to give out training advice. He has finally admitted that when it comes to behavior and training, I'm more knowledgeable and competent than he is.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Hell no. I have a pretty good handle on it myself, anything I need to ask I have trainers I can ask. People I know in person and on the internet that can fit extra bits of knowledge into what I already know.
I started taking Quinn into the vet to meet the nurses so when I get her desexed she isn't too freaked out and got the whole "her tail is tucked, that means she's frightened. squatting down like this and not looking at her is less intimidating" It's good that they are a bit cluey but in my head I was like "I KNOWWWWW!"

My vet is great for fixing my dog. I will train them.

Members online

No members online now.