xmas/happy holidays/merry christmas rant

AliciaD

On second thought...
Since when should people stay silent so they don't offend others? It's not like I'm insulting someone by calling them a foul name. IMO the "receiving" person has every right and opportunity to ignore such a spoken sentiment.
I'm not sure if this is directed at anyone in particular, but I don't think you should have to be silent, but I choose to be silent until I know. If I'm making small talk with someone, I'll ask if they celebrate a holiday or not.

It's just my habit, because I have friends who are Jehovah's Witness, though none of them would be offended by the greeting.

Last edited:

zoe08

I don't think anyone should be offended whether someone says Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays, whatever. I won't be offended if someone says Happy Hanukkah to me. They are all well wishes, and nice greetings. I usually say Merry Christmas, because that's what I celebrate, but would not be offended at all if someone responded with Happy Hanukkah.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
“Yes, the long war on Christianity. I pray that one day we may live in an America where Christians can worship freely! In broad daylight! Openly wearing the symbols of their religion... perhaps around their necks? And maybe -- dare I dream it? -- maybe one day there can be an openly Christian President. Or, perhaps, 43 of them. Consecutively.†- Jon Stewart

That is all I have to say on the christian "war on christmas"

Game. Set. Match.

I dont mind when people wish me a merry christmas...also, shortening to xmas...x is the symbol for Christ so why would that bother people? It is the same thing.

HOwever, yes, I am very upset and offended by people somehow thinking their religion or choice of celebration supercedes all others. This whole season is FULL of holidasy of which christmas is just one, one day (two if you count Christmas eve). Why in the world would one expect or lately, demand that their holiday be the only one recognized? Boycotting stores that try to be polite and accepting of everyone? To me that is just sick.

Snark

Mutts to you
Here ya go:

Question: Why Is There an X in Xmas? Isn't It Sacrilegious? Some Christians complain that the abbreviation Xmas for Christmas is part of a move to secularize the holiday, to take the Christ out of Christmas, but this isn't really justified.
Answer: It is said that when the Emperor Constantine had his great vision that caused him to convert to Christianity, he saw the Greek letters Chi and Rho intertwined. Chi is written as an 'X' and Rho is written as a 'P', but they are the first two letters of the Greek word Christ 'savior'. 'XP' is sometimes used to stand for Christ. Sometimes X is used alone. This is the case in the Chi (X) abbreviation for Christ in Xmas. Thus, Xmas is not directly a way of secularizing the holiday, but since 'X' is not Chi in English, we read the word as X-mas and see no connection with Christ.

Happy Festivus! :D

AliciaD

On second thought...
“Yes, the long war on Christianity. I pray that one day we may live in an America where Christians can worship freely! In broad daylight! Openly wearing the symbols of their religion... perhaps around their necks? And maybe -- dare I dream it? -- maybe one day there can be an openly Christian President. Or, perhaps, 43 of them. Consecutively.†- Jon Stewart
If Jon Stewart was a few years younger, and I was a few years older, and he wasn't married with kids... ;) Do you know which episode this is from?

JacksonsMom

T, I just talked about this with my mom.

While in Walmart today, I had a nice conversation with the lady in line behind me at the check-out. Upon leaving, I turned and said, "Merry Christmas" and smiled. She replied, "Happy Hanukkha" and smiled. We both smiled and then parted ways. No bad feelings on her end. No bad feelings on mine.

I don't care if someone replies with "Happy Holidays", "Happy Kwanzaa", "Merry Christmas", or "Bah Hambug". It's about respecting one another, enjoying a smile, and going on to do it all over again throughout the day.
Exactly. :)

People always have to be WAY too politically correct.

I'm not even a religious person in the slightest. But I celebrate Christmas - I mean, I AM a Christian, but don't ever go to church or really worship any one sector. But I will say it irritates me when you go to, like, the Lights on the Bay that we have here every year, and suddenly NOTHING can be in it about Jesus. Come on, it's like... I realize Christmas is about the spirit of giving and being together, etc, and not necessarily solely about Jesus (it's turned into a secular holiday, which is fine, IMO) but what's the big deal about having God or Jesus references? People get their panties all in a wad and it's annoying. I'm not religious, but it doesn't bother me that they are, it actually bothers me more when people try to fight to get things like that taken down. Like, what pleasure does that bring? "I don't believe in God... YES, they took down the baby Jesus manger lights!! Now my life is happy!!" What's the big freakin' deal? Just ignore it and move on your merry way.

I would in NO way shape or form be offended if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah. Would probably just wish them one back, even though it's not like I really celebrate it.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Gotta agree with you there. Surely, in the whole spectrum of life, saying or writing it not quite to one's liking isn't the worst thing going on in the world. LOL.;)
Sure it's not the worst thing in the world but I found it an amusing observation when someone (my step brother actually lol) says "it's not happy holidays it's Merry Xmas" I just couldn't help but think... if you are that upset about what people call it you think you would say the actual word. Just struck me as funny. I assure you I am not "up in arms" or don't have anything better to worry about. nor am I a Christian who thinks everyone should say merry Christmas. I just think if you are going to complain about it you could refer to it the proper way lol not too lazy to fight the "happy holidays" fight but too lazy to type out 5 more letters?

I honestly don't care if people say Xmas... I have said it and put it in print. I'm not against it. But if you are going to take offense to happy holidays because you believe it's Merry Christmas you would think one would say that and not Merry Xmas lol

I'm obviously not making any sense lol

AliciaD

On second thought...
^^ Now I get what you are saying.

Personally, I always hear X in Xmas, so it's annoying to me because I end up saying ex-mas in my head, and that's not how you pronounce the holiday, haha.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Snark filled in the blanks on "X-mas", which is what I was going to say, so that's good :)

As for Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas, I did a devotional at our Christmas men's breakfast last year. An excerpt:

<SNIP>
Happy Holidays does not bother me, though. Break it down. Happy. Sure, I want to be happy. Who doesn’t want to be happy? It means “enjoying or showing or marked by joy or pleasure.†Happy. Joy. Great! Holiday. The word came about around the 14th century. It means Holy Day. A day of religious festival. So, when someone wishes you a “Happy Holidayâ€, they are wishing you “Joy and Pleasure in the day of religious festivalâ€. Awesome!
<SNIP>

I won't post the entire thing here, as it's not relevant to the conversation. PM if you want to read it all :)

Saeleofu

I say Merry Christmas and I'm atheist. I don't care what people say, honestly. It's the thought behind it that counts. If you celebrate something else, take it as them wishing you a happy whatever you celebrate. If you don't celebrate anything, take it as telling you to have a fantastic day.

ETA: I also don't mind someone telling me bless you, or god bless or something. It's the same idea - be happy, a wish of good will, whatever. It's not like they're saying "**** you" or something.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
My cards say "Happy Holidays" because I send them to a number of denominations. If I know their denomination and what they celebrate, I handwrite appropriately. To my sister, who is non-practicing Jewish, I wrote "Happy WinterHoliday, have some awesome Chinese food on the 25th!" (their yearly "Christmas" tradition LOL).

There are extremists everywhere, I guess. I just ignore them.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Oh, and as for the "Keep Christ in Christmas" people, well, a "true Christian" would want to let Him out the whole year and not just confine Him to one day ;)

Members online