Shipping a dog

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
How hard is it to get a puppy shipped from a Breeder?

Since there are no Fila breeders in Canada that I know of. And If I choose to go with that breed I will have to ship from I am guessing the States.

What is the process ect ect..:D

Xandra

Hayley, I had Roman shipped in from the states when he was 8 weeks (I'm in BC). The breeder did everything, we paid them with a money order, I believe. We talked about dogs and pups over the phone, decided which one I was getting, they sent me an email when they put him on the plane with the estimated pick up time. IIRC, his health records and papers and the receipt and stuff were all duct tapped on top of the crate. Someone had cleaned up his crate and fed him and given him water. He was at a detached building kind of away from the airport where cargo goes, I guess? I think we phoned the airport and they told us where to go. So we met him, but customs had to process him. So we had to get his health record, then go back to the main terminal, and go through the rigmarole to "release" him. (took maybe 2 hours, the only thing was no one knew were to send us to pay tax on him and w/e, and YVR was getting some renovations, so we ended up going ALL over the airport finding the customs thing, at one point someone sent us to the immigration office LOL.) The taxes were $87 and the processing fee or w/e it was was $40.

Anyways, I'd do it again no problem. It was exciting LOL. Find the best breeder you can and ship in. Of course it's preferable if you get to meet the parents and pups yourself, but with a rare breed like a fila shipping is your best bet.

PS I edited this post about 10 times as I remembered more details and as I checked my old emails, so sorry if it isn't very coherent LOL

Good luck finding a pup!

Last edited:

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I've never done it but will be doing it. Its not that expensive. As long as your papper owrk is in order it should be easy.

You do have to pay taxes on your "purchase". When friends of mine imported thier Borzoi from the US customs gave them a hard time because they didnt think they paid enought :rolleyes:

Bailey08

My pick would be a reliable transport driver.
This. I have never been all that comfortable with the idea, and now with the recent deaths in Chicago....I think I would stick with a dog savvy driver. (Though I'm not 100% comfortable with that either, as a combination worrier and control freak, lol.)

filarotten

Fila the love
Well, should you choose a breeder from Texas (that would be my choice;))
it would be a very long drive for a pup that young. Flying would be much quicker.

Driving or flying, either way, I will worry until you get the baby home with you.

This. I have never been all that comfortable with the idea, and now with the recent deaths in Chicago....I think I would stick with a dog savvy driver. (Though I'm not 100% comfortable with that either, as a combination worrier and control freak, lol.)
I'd have no problem at all sending a pup with the guy who transported Cleo. :) He put me totally at ease with the fact that he cares about the dogs he transports, and believe me, I was fully prepared to put Cleo back in the car with me and take her back home until Linda and I could figure out a way to meet or pass her through with someone like Staci.

Getting Traveler from Australia to the US was nothing for me, my breeder did everything, all I did was pay

It took about 4 airports in three days to get him here but all I did was pay him through paypal and show up at the airport with an ID and sign a paper

He had a company in LA do all the paperwork from coming into the country and they called me when the plane landed and when it left and my breeder had told me as soon as Traveler was dropped off at the first airport

But going from the US to Canada really isn't a big deal I don't think, the most important part is trusting your breeder, especially if you never get to see the dogs or the kennel. I trusted my breeder implicitly and will go back to him for as long as his kennel is going. I'm so happy I imported and didn't settle for a more than likely fake Koolie from the states.

Anyway, the breeder will more than likely do everything and you'll worry waaay more than necessary only to find out you needed to do nothing and worry about nothing

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I personally don't ship puppies. Too many nasty things can happen. What I usually do is require a person to fly out to pick up a puppy and fly back with the dog. Much safer usually and if arranged carefully at least with the small dogs they can usually fly in cabin.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
to fly my future dobe puppy from Texas to Edmonton is around $250, so not that expensive.

All you need for us/can is a vet cert saying the dog is healthy. over 6 months old you need rabbies.

Its easy and safe if you know what your doing. A fila pup might be to big to ride in cabbin plus some airlines (I've heard) whont allow it anymore. Nake sure its a 1 way flight if at all possible.

Solo is going non stop from Manila to Van, then to Edmonton. Best we could do.

filarotten

Fila the love
I would trust Ryan to transport any of my dogs. He did a wonderful job with Cleo, and she was probably the worst passenger he has ever had to deal with. A puppy would probably get tons of attention, Ryan would probably fall in love with it before he got it to you. Not sure what the cost would be tho, if he is making a run close to you it will be cheaper for you.

His email and phone number are buried in my old computer atm.*grabs sledge hammer and starts trying to get old computer to open up*

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Romeo was shipped from Indiana to Connecticut, he flew delta and for us it was GREAT :) everyone was so nice, he arrived just fine, the process was fast and as stress free as possible, I would definetly do it again

All he needed at first was a vet health cert, his rabies shot and a crate, and of course a ticket lol

I arrived at the airport, showed some ID and picked him up :)

I thought it was a great experience, he arrived just fine and we went home lol

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Smudge came from NC. I paid up front for the cost of him, his crate, flight, shots and health certificate.

There were no straight flights from NC to Ontario. Continental goofed and shipped him to NJ where he should have gotten on another plane only they cancelled his connecting flight. He had to be shipped back to NC and we had to do it all over again a week later. It sucked. They didn't want to send him back at their cost and wanted me to have to pay a couple of hundred a night for 4 nights in a facility till he could get a connecting flight. His health certificate would have expired before then and they likely would have sent him back anyhow.

He wasn't given water on either flight.

I apparently owed a random extra $50 fee when he arrived that they wouldn't tell me what in h*ll it was for. I never refused to pay.. I just kept asking what it was for. Never got an answer. Then it was about 100 in duty and taxes as it is a percentage of the value of the dog. You can try to lie to bring the value down, but if the customs agent has half a clue about dogs you may screw yourself.

Can't say I'd ship an animal anywhere ever again except in cabin with me and I doubt I'll ever own anything small enough to do that with. Continental dropped the ball repeatedly and were h*ll to deal with even though they proclaim such amazing service for animals.

hanslynch

I would contact the breeder to talk about options.

Pet transport is a growing industry and has lots of options. Pet Airlines just recently opened their doors flying from a few cities on the East Coast.

Members online

No members online now.