Neutering alternative

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I was stuck in the library while Hy saw the big cats so i had nothing better to do but read dog fancy mag. In it was an article about a procedure of an injection for male dogs that would mean no surgery. IF this is true...

IS it cheaper then the operation? My friend Connie Guthrie is trying to raise money for a hundred animals to be fixed in a town that has not been responible and breeding is going on unchecked. I thought this would be a great solution in cutting the cost down. Does anyone know anything about it? I copied it but i can't find the xerox to say what it was. SOmething calcium. THat would have been so much safer for Victor, and since my intact dogs have never had leg hiking or roaming issues, i would have much prefered to go that way. He got very sick and i felt so bad.

elegy

overdogged
There was a product called neutersol awhile ago that was injected directly into the testicles of puppies. I don't think it's currently being made.

Personally, I'd be uncomfortable with having it done to my own dogs. I would worry about the long-term risks of shooting a chemical like that into my dog's body. What effect does it have on the rest of the body?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Chemical castration has been around for some time.

I am not sure how effective it is though!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Compared to the anthesia (sp), that about killed VIctor. I want to find out more about it tho. A v snip would that still require the gas? I think it does. THis is what i was trying to see if there was a way around. And for Connie, anything that reduced the price for dogs that no one is taking care of might mean more can be fixed. SO that is what i wanted this thread for, pros and cons and to learn more about it so thank you all!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I think I read a while back the same article, Smkie. I can't remember what issue or what it was called though. :eek:

I would be very hesitant, too, trying something like that. I think I would prefer to just go ahead and snip or leave my boys intact.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I think there is something that has been used in Australia for a while, that is an injectable pill thing for male dogs that works for 6 months to a year, as a temporary chemical castration. Probably wouldn't be the best thing for low income folks since it would need to be redone every year, but it would be a good option for those with anesthesia sensitive animals or animals they might want to breed some day but want to postpone until after titling, etc.

Here is an article I found that has pros and cons of the irreversible chemical neuter:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/chemical-neutering-with-neutersol/page1.aspx

And then the reversible one:

http://www.peptech.com/HTML/Animal_Health/Superlorin_general.html

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THe article i read was in this month's dog fancy. THank you for the links i sent Connie the thread in an e-mail.

Boemy

If I recall correctly, it's not just one injection, it's like . . . you have to do repeated injections, or else the dog becomes fertile again.

Is your main worry the potential ill-effects of anethesia? This would be unpleasant, but what about castrating using just a local anethetic (not knocking the dog out)? I know they do it that way with calves, and I think horses.

I think in general neutering males is pretty cheap.

Members online

No members online now.