Fleas!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Everywhere. I'm getting so tired of bathing dogs. We used Frontline on everyone two weeks ago and they're back.

Now, the weird part is only the papillons get the fleas. The shelties never have fleas and I can't keep them off of the papillons.

Um.... help? Any ideas would be appreciated.

milos_mommy

No ideas. One time, Milo had a single flea crawling on him. I shoved him into a bath asap. That's the only flea experience I've ever had.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Maybe it's the thickness of the coat that keeps it off the shelties? I know chinchilla fur is too thick for fleas.

I know certain flea meds are reported as not working in certain areas of the country, you might want to check about your area. The fleas are becoming immune or something like that.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
We had an horrible time with fleas last summer. Basically, my dogs are pretty isolated during the summer excpet for walks on the street or in town. :( Nothing seems to work....

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
My guys have to have their meds every month, on the dot. It doesn't matter what we do to the yard or the house, they come flocking back as soon as we miss a day. It's awful, I hate putting the chemicals on them but I have yet to find a holistic remedy that works, and both my guys will chew themselves raw within days of getting the fleas. :(

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Frontline doesnt seem to work for me in Oklahoma, BUT k9 Advantix does... never could figure out why ...
That's weird. I asked about this at the vet's and they said both have the same active ingredient.

We've flea bombed before, flea shampoos, even flea collars. We've tried everything. >.<

They've got to go over to a friends in a couple weeks and I don't want them to give all their dogs fleas.

nikkichan

We have the same problem with fleas. Frontline used to work, now nothing does.

I had to take Gypsy to stay with some friends and didn't want her to bring fleas in their house so the day before she was to go over, I gave her a Capstar and a good bath. Seemed to work. You can actually see the fleas falling off and dying when the Capstar kicks in.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
We normally use frontline, and it works, but we couldn't get to the vet, and Holly was ridden with TICKS (ugh, I hate them more than anything on this planet) and we got something from Petsmart, and all her ticks fell off IN MY ROOM. :) It was lovely (Not). I just had to sweep them up, and I was disgusted. I have an upset stomach now. I'm afraid to even let her back outside except to use the bathroom, in case she gets more. Holly doesn't ever seem to have any fleas, but I did see a few dead ones, so I'm glad we got 'em before there could be any more. Ticks though....YUCK. There were loads of them, the little round grey ones (basically the babies of the big round grey ones). I hate, hate, hate them. *shivers* Good luck! The vet told me this year has been the worst so far for ticks. And several years back before we had any of the dogs we have now, it was the worst summer for fleas EVER, and Princess & Scamp our silkies, were covered. So I feel your pain. :(

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
why do you think k9 advantix attacks heartworms? the only heartworm meds you can get are the ones you need a prescription for.

it does repel and kill mosquitoes, which are carriers of heartworms...

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
First of all vac your rugs daily. and floors. Second- there is a product called love land ( or use to be) that works. You put it in their food to change the "taste" of the blood.
However- I found running the vac every day, if you have bags toss them to get them out of the house. If you have fleas on the dogs on frontline, its because there are too many in the environment. also- a light over a soapy dish at night when the dogs cant get it.. That type of thing.
I only had a problem with fleas one time and that was right after moving into a home that had them. I literally got a bomb and set it off with the dogs gone for the day.
For the yard- get a bleach delutive spray- that kills the fungus fleas live on in the second stage. However- obviously this is toxic to dogs if wet so make sure its totally dry.
Final- look at your shampoo on the paps. If it has fragences, get something like oatmeal shampoo etc. Fleas are attracted to fragance..
.. uhhh cant think of anything else..

lizzybeth727

We normally use frontline, and it works, but we couldn't get to the vet, and Holly was ridden with TICKS (ugh, I hate them more than anything on this planet) and we got something from Petsmart, and all her ticks fell off IN MY ROOM. :) It was lovely (Not). I just had to sweep them up, and I was disgusted. I have an upset stomach now.
Ugh, I hear ya about ticks! I work at a kennel, and I can do EVERYTHING (clean poop, vomit, worms, blood, you name it) EXCEPT removing ticks. I'm such a baby about it, it's pittiful. I had to remove two this year when literally no one else was around (and the thought of that THING staying on the dog is worse than the thought of having to remove it), but it makes me sick.

My worst nightmare is getting a tick on MYSELF.....

Members online

No members online now.