Pitbull Anyone????

Coco13

Hi there I have an 8month female pitbull and I would REALLY like to talk to someone else that has or knows someone with a pitbull.

mmslaman

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

:) Hi -my husband and I have a American Pit Bull Terrier, she is 3 yrs, brindle, runt of the litter but makes up at the personality end. Fire away with any questions. I grew up with bull terriers. They are a great dog for the devoted "parent" and educated person. :)

Coco13

mmslaman said:
:) Hi -my husband and I have a American Pit Bull Terrier, she is 3 yrs, brindle, runt of the litter but makes up at the personality end. Fire away with any questions. I grew up with bull terriers. They are a great dog for the devoted "parent" and educated person. :)
Well....Ill start off by saying shes 8months at 40lbs and I just had her spayed. I love her to death and grown very close to her. Shes a little rascal around the house which is HER humorous side. My question is....TRAINING, specifically getting her NOT to do things shes not supposed to do and to learn they are BAD. She scratches alot at the couches and chews on them...and pulls on our pants where shes tearing them. We've tried things from......smackin her butt and saying NO harshly to taking her in a room and keeping her there for 20mins. to spraying the area with "chew-deterant" sprays like "BITTER APPLE". After she comes out from the room we locked her in......she goes STRAIGHT for the couch again....and right after we finish smacking her but...she does the same. My question is HOW to properly train a pitbull??

ANY SUGGESTION WOULD BE GREAT :D

mmslaman

First of all - due to the bred, these guys (especially as pups) have a real need to chew. You need some HEAVY duty chew toys. When shasta was a pup she would chew thru blocks of wood. I would suggest some shank bones or big knuckle bones (from the butchers) Raw hides are ok - but it's not going to last long. Rope toys are also great but they won't last long either. We purchase a new rope toy for shasta (she's a runt at 60 lbs) every 2 months. And at 3 she still plays and chews that thing up daily. Exercise is also key. If these guys get bored you are in trouble - they are very intelligent and high energy. You need to give your dog a decent walk/run daily. If you provide her with these first 2 things it will assist.
Have you done any formal training with her? I would suggest a training collar (commonly known as a choker) The nylon ones have worked effectively and these are what we prefer over the chain link ones. Pit bulls have a high tolerence of pain and therefore you must combine the choker with voice inflection. The proper position for the choker is to sit on the dogs neck just below the ears (this is where the nerves are) the who idea of the choker, dispite it's name is not to choke your dog, but rather its like you are giving your dog a pinch to get it's attention. If it's positioned correctly - if your dog starts to walk ahead or in its own direction a quick sharp pull - at the same time putting a sharp inflection to your voice (No!) this will teach her that she is wrong. If you use this to teach her to walk with you then if she starts walking ahead of you, stop and go the other direction giving the leash a quick sharp tug (No!) give your dog commands in a different tone to the correctional (NO!) Then also praise must be in a cheerful/ fun tone. The same when she is in the house. Leave the choker and leash on her (while you are home) when she tries to chew on the couch/ pant leg or what ever else she can sink her teeth into - give the leash a sharp tug and firm (NO!). she will learn if you are persistant and perform this type of training daily. Give her lots of praise (voice and physical) when she is good and a sharp tug and sharp NO! when she is not. We trained shasta this way - and also a pit mix whom had abusive beginings and he responded to the training as well. It gives you control over you 60+ muscle friend. But remember consistancy is a must. Start the training in your own yard - then take her outside in the neighborhood or park. These guys want to please thier owners. But they do demand alot of time. They can never be close enough to you and will crave your attention. Keep this in mind and be patient. It's no different then training a young child.

1) exercise :- lots and lots and lots and lots. you have a prize athlete on your hands
2) lots of chew toys - play with her with the chew toys, teach her during this time to be gentle to your hands when you are playing, this will help her around kids for later too.
3) consistant daily training.

When you train - use your praise and playfulness as treats - rather then cookies or food. Your dog will then later respond to you more readily with out expecting a food treat. She'll respond just for your attention.

Members online

No members online now.