The dog musing/vent thread

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Yikes, hope everyone's ok. Way to go Em.
Yeah, I'm fine! I needed to get tested for strep and there weren't any doctors open, because Saturday.

She's such a fantastic dog, I love her so much. If I could have exclusively her for the rest of my life, I would.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I want to try out barn hunt, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I registered the walrus-pup so we've got that covered, but I'm not sure whether to do a clinic that's happening in July, a fun test, or just go for it and try out the instinct test at a trial? He loves jumping on and burrowing under things, chasing critters, and nosework, so I'm hoping that he'll enjoy this addition to our little sport lineup :)
I personally would try a fun test/clinic first. That way you can get used to the rules and see how he alerts to the rats. I honestly thought my Bubbles would really take to the sport, but after a clinic and fun run it was obvious she cared more about the people in the barn than the rats. I'm glad I didn't spend entry fees and spend an entire day at a trial to find that out :)

Finkie_Mom

Had a fantastic morning out with the nosework group and then to a pet store. The best part was that Mia got to work too and she did GREAT. I am so thankful for any time I get to work her these days. I am hopeful we have a lot more to come. She's had a great week.
YAY!!! Go Mia :D :D :D

Paris loves to swim! First dog I've ever owned that actually likes the water!
I'm so jealous. There are a few cool places dogs can swim around here and the only one to tolerate water is Kimma. And she will usually just lay in the shallow parts LOL.

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
I feel bad for Outlaw, he has a dislocated toe and is driving me and him UP THE WALL!!!

Crate rest for a field bred high energy Lab puppy is NOT fun.

Poor pup is dying from boredom :(

crazedACD

I personally would try a fun test/clinic first. That way you can get used to the rules and see how he alerts to the rats. I honestly thought my Bubbles would really take to the sport, but after a clinic and fun run it was obvious she cared more about the people in the barn than the rats. I'm glad I didn't spend entry fees and spend an entire day at a trial to find that out :)
My recommendation is to treat it more as scent detection if you want to be successful and the dog doesn't have the "natural drive" for it :). Borrow a rat and train the dog to alert to it.

My recommendation is to treat it more as scent detection if you want to be successful and the dog doesn't have the "natural drive" for it :). Borrow a rat and train the dog to alert to it.
See, I tend toward the side of caution so I do think it makes sense to just sign up for the clinic. And I wish I had friends with rats to practice with (once I explained that nobody gets hurt) - I think they're dynamite little pets, I've toyed with getting one myself over the years.

The thing tripping me up is that the clinic is 3 hours away, while the trial is 1 hour away, and the clinic is more expensive anyway. The clinic is after the trial as well - I wish it was before!

Decisions, decisions. I'm also thinking of entering Astro in a coursing ability test that's in PA right near my parents' house. Apparently, I've got new sport fever!

Toller_08

I hope that someday I end up with a truly healthy dog. :-(

Dance used to have extreme digestive upsets. Now she has severe food allergies that cause her skin to break out and then she scratches and causes infections and her chest is permanently bald now as a result.

The Dobermans both have some weird skin issue that requires them to eat excessive amounts of EFAs and fish food only.

Journey has a mystery cough and stuffy nose that is presumably an environmental allergy and was good for a while but now has been acting up again this week. Anti-inflammatory meds got rid of it last time, but this time not as much. I might take her in for xrays soon just to make absolutely certain that it's not a nasal passage and/or chest/lung issue. And, to top it off, poor girl as had diarrhea all week. Thankfully she is her same happy, goofy, wonderful self. But it makes me sad and very worried. Nobody wants to deal with allergies, but I sincerely hope it is just an allergy and nothing more.

Ugh. I know getting a healthy dog is kind of a crapshoot and nothing is guaranteed, but I did everything right, especially last time, and there are still issues. I also wish that I didn't get so attached to dogs sometimes. Journey is everything to me as far as dogs go and I am so sad that there is something wrong that I thought was a fixable thing and now appears it might just be an ongoing thing forever. She is such a dream dog for me. Fantastic temperament, beautiful structure, amazing personality... I wish her health was 100% too. Thankfully she is from a wonderful breeder who is always there and I have spoken to her about this issue, but still, I can't help but be worried.

Finkie_Mom

Oh definitely. But no way I'm buying a rat just to train with. I train detection dogs (DAD, explosive, SAR live find and soon HRD, and have watched some narcotics) for a living so I know what I'm doing there :)

ETA - Not that I don't like rats, I totally do. I've had a few pet mice over the years and they were awesome. But the short lifespan just kills me :(

So, we should figure out what else we could discuss about than dog training. My friend has tried to find threads where we could write.

She has found one where we have written about Lotta: Your dogs' quirks
We have added two videos of Lotta in this thread: Pictures of Lotta
She hasn't found other threads yet where to write besides the one linked above. One idea would be that you would ask us something about Lotta and we would answer to those questions.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I hope that someday I end up with a truly healthy dog. :-(

Dance used to have extreme digestive upsets. Now she has severe food allergies that cause her skin to break out and then she scratches and causes infections and her chest is permanently bald now as a result.

The Dobermans both have some weird skin issue that requires them to eat excessive amounts of EFAs and fish food only.

Journey has a mystery cough and stuffy nose that is presumably an environmental allergy and was good for a while but now has been acting up again this week. Anti-inflammatory meds got rid of it last time, but this time not as much. I might take her in for xrays soon just to make absolutely certain that it's not a nasal passage and/or chest/lung issue. And, to top it off, poor girl as had diarrhea all week. Thankfully she is her same happy, goofy, wonderful self. But it makes me sad and very worried. Nobody wants to deal with allergies, but I sincerely hope it is just an allergy and nothing more.

Ugh. I know getting a healthy dog is kind of a crapshoot and nothing is guaranteed, but I did everything right, especially last time, and there are still issues. I also wish that I didn't get so attached to dogs sometimes. Journey is everything to me as far as dogs go and I am so sad that there is something wrong that I thought was a fixable thing and now appears it might just be an ongoing thing forever. She is such a dream dog for me. Fantastic temperament, beautiful structure, amazing personality... I wish her health was 100% too. Thankfully she is from a wonderful breeder who is always there and I have spoken to her about this issue, but still, I can't help but be worried.
Totally understand that. Health issues suck so bad. It my worst fear with Nextdog.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Mom and I ran a 5k with Cobain and Ruby today.
Weather was great, Cobain ran perfectly (of course), just a shame he didn't have a faster owner :rolleyes: Still waiting on my times, but I'm certain I did much better than last years 36 minutes!

Took Rigby and Oz up for a walk to the ice cream store later in the day so they got to have their "special outing."
Rigby allowed a PILE of kids to pet her without so much as a flinch! She's come such a long way with her fear issues in the past month. So proud of her :D

BostonBanker

Ugh, Gusto got attacked by a lab today. The woman was an idiot. We were on a (legal) off-leash hiking trail. I was nearly back to the car when I saw someone with a leashed dog ahead, so I called my two and put them on leash (because I don't allow them to approach leashed dogs). Walked by pleasantly, and since we were almost to the car, I just kept my two on leash. A woman was walking towards us, with a kid on her back in a carrier and no leashes in sight. Her two labs come charging at us from way behind her as she asks "Are they friendly?".

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU GOING TO DO IF I SAY NO?! I didn't even have time to answer before one of the labs jumped Gusto snarling and snapping. Meg, for some weird reason, didn't react at all. She's usually very quick to come back at dogs who charge into her space. Maybe all the work we've been doing with going by dogs on invisible fence in the neighborhood the last few months has been paying off. I wish she'd gotten involved. I feel back that I kicked the dog hard, but really? Don't mess with my dogs. Especially the one who won't defend himself.

Sekah

The Monster.
Sorry for you, Meg and Gusto. It's always a Lab, isn't it?

Lately I've been really, really pleased at how well Cohen interacts with children. Last weekend we were chilling in the park and were approached by a toddler. As the kid's mother and I chatted, her son threw Cohen's ball for her. The next day, we were doing a demo and afterwards a ~8 year old girl asked to play disc with Cohen and Cohen obliged. Today, she was hanging out in my front yard while I gardened and my neighbour's young boy came by with his father. While his father and I chatted the boy threw sticks for Cohen, and Cohen tugged gently with him and rolled over on her back for belly pats.

She's normally so loud when she plays, and she's normally so focused on me while we're out... it's nice to see her work with kids too.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So I said I would babysit Beau and Rose. I get Beau and he's like morbidly obese. :mad: He is panting like crazy and just looks terrible. I've talked to them about it before but no...... too much work to put him on a diet. I feel so bad for him.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
At Cajun's obedience class today, after running through a few things one of the owners who was working next to us goes, "you have an incredibly well-trained dog." Aw shucks. Maybe I do sometimes do things right.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
At Cajun's obedience class today, after running through a few things one of the owners who was working next to us goes, "you have an incredibly well-trained dog." Aw shucks. Maybe I do sometimes do things right.
Hahahahaha, I love getting those compliments, but I always have to say back that she's well trained, not well behaved :p Left to her own devices, she's getting into something she shouldn't. Enzo is really my only well behaved dog. They're all well trained but Enzo is just one of those GOOD DOGS, where she doesn't do anything wrong, like, ever.

Except bring home magical coconuts, but it's entertaining, so whatever. :p

StillandSilent

I woke up this am and found that someone, probably Gimmick, had had a horrible diarrhea in my bathtub. The sad part was that I was actually proud that he had done it there instead of on the floor. Go Gimmick!

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I woke up this am and found that someone, probably Gimmick, had had a horrible diarrhea in my bathtub. The sad part was that I was actually proud that he had done it there instead of on the floor. Go Gimmick!
Very impressive that he chose the bathtub!
Hoping that's the end of it and he's feeling better

Members online

No members online now.