Silver Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silverbest

I must admit this getting a little out of hand, ya come here for simple civilized debate and ya end up getting into a pronounciation and spelling bee debate. Typical really. I should have known better. I love my silvers and i thought someone else would enjoy them as well, they are all perfectly healthy and are at the moment AKC registered are are scheduled for microchips next week to convert them to CKC. Anyways, so much for civilized huh?? The color is a rarity, that is a fact, leave it up the public to decide if they want to pay that or not, if they think it's rediculous then they can purchase a yellow or chocolate. It's up to them now isn't it??
Yes it is up to the person who wants the pup!

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
But if someone wants a silver lab...will they not get it somewhere? Why not here? At least they do health tests and guarantees.
I know I wanted a silver lab; maybe that makes me bad but it is what I wanted. So I was not going to a homeless dog, I was going to a silver breeder.
theres LOADS in shelters

Forgive my ignorance:
but mutts in shelters are not standard either so should no one get them?
i will and there in shelters there not being bred

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
and if you didnt want to here our answers you shouldnt have asked the question

this is a dog lovers forum not a dog owners lovers forum

S

silverbest

you dont breed mutts one purpose! if you do, then you got issues sliverbest!
that is sooo irrelevant
You say a dog that is not to standard does not deserve a home.
A mutt is not to standard either

I am just trying to understand the difference.

If someone wants a silver lab and they want to pay for a puppy from someone who has them; well really it is a choice.

I could not be happier with my dog.

S

silverbest

and if you didnt want to here our answers you shouldnt have asked the question

this is a dog lovers forum not a dog owners lovers forum
I am in no way against any of you or not wanting to hear your answers. I know nothing of breeding.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
But if someone wants a silver lab...will they not get it somewhere? Why not here? At least they do health tests and guarantees.
I know I wanted a silver lab; maybe that makes me bad but it is what I wanted. So I was not going to a homeless dog, I was going to a silver breeder.
I have asked Country labs 2 times now for thier dogs registered names so I can look up the health clearances. And yes you can look them up they are posted online by the company that issues them.

Serena

Forgive my ignorance:
but mutts in shelters are not standard either so should no one get them?
Your ethics come out quite clearly in this one sentence.

Using mixed breeds in a shelter not meeting standard as an excuse to defend irresponsible breeding is assinine.

Mixed breeds do NOT have breed standards, Labs on the other do have a breed standard and do purposely breed outside of the standards to make a buck is completely disgusting.

No ethical Lab breeder breeds "silver labs".

Giny

MomOf7, your questions seem to be ignored. They are great questions! :popcorn:

W

whatszmatter

What's so hard to see the difference. Nobody said if a dog isn't to standard it doesn't deserve a home, you're an idiot for thinking it. Now breeding dogs and charging more for ones that are NOT of standard and calling them "rare' and exceptional, and have no nothing on the dogs, tell me what venue you train your dogs in??? what title if any could your dog achieve??? WHAT IS YOUR DOG trained to do, what makes it something other than millions of other dogs out there sitting in shelters waiting for homes?? Tell me what your reason is to breed that dog?

I must admit this getting a little out of hand, ya come here for simple civilized debate and ya end up getting into a pronounciation and spelling bee debate. Typical really. I should have known better. I love my silvers and i thought someone else would enjoy them as well, they are all perfectly healthy and are at the moment AKC registered are are scheduled for microchips next week to convert them to CKC. Anyways, so much for civilized huh?? The color is a rarity, that is a fact, leave it up the public to decide if they want to pay that or not, if they think it's rediculous then they can purchase a yellow or chocolate. It's up to them now isn't it??
Interesting in light of this:

Color
The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/index.cfm
These are the Continental Kennel Club standards:
http://www.continentalkennelclub.com/Ads.aspx?BreedNum=149

And the Canadian Kennel Club:
Coat and Colour
The coat is a very distinctive feature; it should be short, very dense and without wave, and should give a fairly hard feeling to the hand. The colours are black, yellow, or chocolate and are evaluated as follows:
(a) Blacks
All black, with a small white spot on chest permissible. Eyes to be of medium size, expressing intelligence and good temper, preferably brown or hazel, although black or yellow is permissible.
(b) Yellows
Yellow may vary in colour from fox-red to light cream with variations in the shading of the coat on ears, the underparts of the dog, or beneath the tail. A small white spot on chest is permissible. Eye colouring and expression should be the same as that of the blacks, with black or dark brown eye rims. The nose should also be black or dark brown, although ?fading? to pink in the winter weather is not serious.
(c) Chocolates
Shades ranging from light sedge to chocolate. A small white spot on chest is permissible. Eyes to be light brown to clear yellows. Nose and eye rim pigmentation dark brown or liver coloured. ?Fading? to pink in winter weather not serious.

S

silverbest

I have asked Country labs 2 times now for thier dogs registered names so I can look up the health clearances. And yes you can look them up they are posted online by the company that issues them.
I cannot help you with that as I do not know!

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
I cannot help you with that as I do not know!
What are the names of the parents to your dogs? You should have gotten a pedigree along with your puppy

I dont know how much longer I will be here I have a funeral to attend
:(

S

silverbest

What's so hard to see the difference. Nobody said if a dog isn't to standard it doesn't deserve a home, you're an idiot for thinking it. Now breeding dogs and charging more for ones that are NOT of standard and calling them "rare' and exceptional, and have no nothing on the dogs, tell me what venue you train your dogs in??? what title if any could your dog achieve??? WHAT IS YOUR DOG trained to do, what makes it something other than millions of other dogs out there sitting in shelters waiting for homes?? Tell me what your reason is to breed that dog?
I hope this is not directed at me. My dog is a pet, a great one at that but I do not breed. I do not show, really I think his best attribute is to eat. He is trained to sit, does that count;)

I am just here to say I do not think they are so bad.
I am open minded and I am not fighting with anyone at all here. I have nothing against anyone at all.

I will read some of those links before I

open mouth and insert foot

S

silverbest

What are the names of the parents to your dogs? You should have gotten a pedigree along with your puppy

I dont know how much longer I will be here I have a funeral to attend
:(
My dog did not come from country labs. Sorry I am just a friend.

I do not have a pedigree. I did not even bother putting the AKC papers in my name...just a pet none of that other stuff matters to me.

peetee07

Interesting in light of this:

These are the Continental Kennel Club standards:
http://www.continentalkennelclub.com/Ads.aspx?BreedNum=149

And the Canadian Kennel Club:

Unreal, you people tend to every word don't you?? We've already established they must be registered as chocolate and they are registered. Tell ya what, i'l advertise them as chocolate because "that's what AKC and CKC" say and when someone comes to get one....."holy crap it's silver not chocolate". While were on the subject of homeless dogs, since there are so many "on the shelf" then why don't ALL the breeders stop breeding there dogs. Some of you are breeders, just stop right now cause there are too many homeless animals.....make sense will ya?? Unbelieveable the higher then though attitude in this place, you may all get off your white horses anytime. It cost us alot of money for these silvers which we chose because they were not standard and people like you wouldn't go near them with a 10 foot pole, we felt they were so beautiful and skillful we wanted to share with everyone else. Why is that so wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online