Weird foods you've eaten?

milos_mommy

It's funny how even regionally different things are "weird"...here lots of people haven't eaten venison, bison, boar, but I don't know anyone who doesn't have sushi pretty much weekly.

Eel, calamari, octopus, roe/caviar, none of which I'd consider unusual, they're available at most sit-down restaurants and grocers here.

One thing pretty available that I've never eaten is shark. I'll try ANY food, but when it comes to shark, I always say "I don't eat them, they don't eat me". They're one of my favorite animals, I just don't want to eat one. I'd horse, cat, whatever, if given the chance...but not shark. Maybe not dog.

Dekka

Just try me..
oh ya octopus.. meh chewie.

Pdubya.. you can have my lifetime's allotment of venison lol.

but ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww mealworms.. I don't even want to think about being allotted mealworms.

milos_mommy

My friend (actually the baby's dad) who ate the worms with me said a piece got stuck on his tongue ring :p

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
My friend (actually the baby's dad) who ate the worms with me said a piece got stuck on his tongue ring :p
That's gross. And also, now I know why he's yo baby daddy! ;) yes I'm a perv.

The creepiest thing I've eaten was escargot on a cruise ship. I know, super daring!!! It has been creepy learning to eat & prepare meat period, these past few months. After being a vegetarian for 8 years, meat looked and smelled like "dog food" to me since I only handled it while preparing their food. I have tried venison, quail and pheasant. I wouldn't ever eat a carnivore or a social/pack animal.

I can't even eat a sushi roll of any kind. I'll gag. When things gross me out mentally, I can't get over it and eat it. Even things that I think were prepared by a dirty/unsanitary person are nauseating to me.

Saeleofu

Mealworms. They were quite tasty. They were either cooked for freeze dried, I don't remember, and they were BBQ flavoured.

Less weird is vension, rabbit and bison. I liked the bison, rabbit was pretty good, and the venison was tolerable, but a bit TOO gamey.

I attempted to eat a crayfish once. But once it was on my plate and staring at me, I couldn't do it lol

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Crawfish are NOM.

Venison is delicious, but if it was a buck, yeah the meat can be "gamey"-er because of testosterone.
Sushi is good, but I don't eat non cooked sushi. I'll barf.
Alligator tail
Emu I'm sure, because my uncle raised them, but I was probably too young to really remember.
I don't like rabbit, but bison is rather tasty, though I don't tolerate most red meats well anymore.
I love clam strips, but oysters, calamari and octupus I won't touch

Saeleofu

Oh, I did try alligator once. I found some on sale and got it for the dogs. I wasn' quite sure if it was okay for them to eat raw (probably would be fine, but whatever) so I cooked it up for treats. They turned out to be horrible treats because the dogs didn't like it. I didn't either. I probably WAYYYYYYYY overcooked it. I tend to overcook fish, too, but to the point it flakes up and turns into a fish...reduction sauce lol, and is still tasty.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
The tail I had was wrapped in bacon and sauteed I think. It's been awhile, but I remember eating a few of them, so they couldn't have been bad. I'll usually try two of something just to make sure I don't like it lol.

Pops2

most of what ya'll are calling weird sounds normal to me: boar, frog legs, snail, quail etc
that i actually consider unusual (mostly because it's rare or expensive or not commonly eaten): ostrich, alligator, beaver, muskrat, bison, snake, crow, pigeon, shaggy mane mushrooms, cattails, wood sorrel, daylilly buds/flowers (list could be longer but i'm not thinking too hard about it)
genuinely weird: cat, dog, macaw (yes the parrot), grubs, rabbit eyeballs, precalcified eggs (yes from inside the chicken), sea urchin
the eyeballs, eggs & dog creeped me out the most, would eat them again if needed but not excited about it.
aligator, snake, crow, macaw & grubs nothing to write home about but not bad.
i found cat to be a delicious tender white meat similar to storebought pork, will eat it again every reasonable chance i get.
i love a good octopus salad (ensalada pulpo), conch salad, ceviche, sushi, escargot, sea urchi
beaver, muskrat, pigeon, bison & ostrich were delicious red meats

Hillside

Original Twin
Rabbit
Venison
Boar
Turtle
Beef tongue
escargot
carpaccio
beef tartare
ostrich
alligator
all kinds of sushi pretty much
shark
whale
crawfish
frog legs
squid
octopus

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
That's gross. And also, now I know why he's yo baby daddy! ;) yes I'm a perv..
It's cool, I thought it too ;)

Ahem. Anyway.

I liked alligator, LOVE frog legs, wasn't overly excited by conch but it may have been the way they were made. Venison sounds super normal to me, I've eaten it a ton & really don't like it. Quail, duck... again, pretty normal to me. I LOVE sushi, especially eel.

thehoundgirl

Mussels and chicken baby food at a survivor themed 4-H camp when I was 15. Yeah don't judge me. :p Both were disgusting btw. And we didn't have to eat a bunch of gross food.. that was just a one time thing and you didnt have to eat it if you didn't want to. My friend dared me. ;)

Last edited:

Romy

Taxiderpy
OH! I totally just remembered. One time at survival camp we had to eat stuff we found. If you mash ants into a juicy paste it takes like lemonade. At least when you're really really hungry it does.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Duck isn't weird.... lol, I've had that though. Lots of different fishes too, but not shark or eel or anything like that

Romy

Taxiderpy
Starting to remember stuff now. Salmonberry shoots are so so good. And addictive. Every spring I crave them really bad and need to go foraging for them.

And eulachon. We like to fry them whole. Fries with eyes, mmm.

crazedACD

Uh. I've tried all kinds of dog food...does that count? :p Beneful tastes the best ;).

I haven't eaten anything too crazy because I don't really get the chance. I mean where are you guys when you decide to eat cat?? Hey Joe come over I just threw the cat on the BBQ!? :p I just ran over Fluffy, wouldn't want him to go to waste!

I've eaten frog legs (yes they taste like chicken), bison was good. I've had venison once but it tasted really strong. I eat fried calamari all the time.

milos_mommy

I haven't eaten anything too crazy because I don't really get the chance. I mean where are you guys when you decide to eat cat?? Hey Joe come over I just threw the cat on the BBQ!? :p I just ran over Fluffy, wouldn't want him to go to waste!
It's not common in the US, but if you travel abroad it's not uncommon at all, especially in Asia, but other parts of the world, too.

Oh, I've eaten a lot of weird berries/plants/etc. A lot of which I don't even know the name of. Stuff like violets, roses, gooseberries, mulberries, etc. Not necessarily uncommon but nothing people really think to eat here.

and some weird alcohols. Tsipouro, Ouzo, Miod Pitny, rose wine, strawberry wine, dandelion wine.

I had strawberries stuffed with sugared tomato filling one time. They were DELICIOUS.

iwantmypup

Reindeer. Raw, killed-5-minutes-ago octopus. Rattlesnake, sea urchin. Alligator, moose.blood sausage. Eel sushi is the best sushi ever.

That octopus though....those tentacle really like to stick to your teeth and chopsticks.

Members online

No members online now.