Out of contol puppy

zoepup

Lhasa Apso lover
I have a 5 month old puppy who of course does not like to listen when I call her. She seems to not listen when she has something in her mouth that she is not supposed to or when she gets loose. Yesterday the back gate came open and she ran out. I used a stern voice, I offerd her a "cookie" (doggie bone) but nothing she totally blocked me out and jetted across the street. Luckly no cars were passing through or I would be devistated. Luckly a lady was walking her dog and that caught Zoe's attention and she ran up to her. The lady had a puppy too but if it was a mean dog then that could have been another mess. Does anyone have any tricks to help me get her attention when she gets out or just out right doesn't want to listen. It's like she knows she will get away with it. I have tried punishing her but nothing seems to phase her. Any advice would help, thanks!

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Try a short lead tied to her collar. That way, you can quickly grab her when she starts running. Remember, never chase after her or play tug-o-war with things that aren't her toys. She'll think you're playing and continue the behaviour.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Try getting some small easy/quick to eat treats. I like using Charlee Bear treats, they're like oyster crackers for dogs. Anyway, and do this inside where she can't get away from you, start playing with her and feed her a treat every so often. Make sure you tell her "Puppy(name) come" as you're saying this. Do that for a bit, then make her put forth a bit of effort to get to the treat, even if it's just moving one or two steps towards you. Then get up and walk a few feet away and say "puppy come" again and give her another couple of treats and over-praise her for coming to you. Do this a few times a day, eventually working your way to your backyard. She should soon learn that coming to you means good things will be coming to her. The same principle applies with getting her give up things she shouldn't have. Make sure she knows that she'll get something much better if she gives up that toy/stick/whatever. Good luck!

IMPORTANT: NEVER let your dog off-leash unless you absolutly certain it will stick next to you or respond IMMEDIATLY to your commands.

Members online

No members online now.