Designer Dogs

frogger

I had a customer come into my store yesterday, was looking at the cock-a-poo puppies that I had for sale. She said growing up you could get these for nothing. They were considered mutts. Now a mutt is considered anything with 3 or more different breeds in them and they still ask alot for them. That's why Is tick to the purebreds. Everybody asks me why I don't breed the designer breeds, I tell them there are enough of them I don't need to add more.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
You have a pet store? You breed pups and sell them out of your pet store?

makenzie71

oh no...she has a pet store that sells puppies and, for some reason, she had mix breeds for sale! Quick get the clubs! We need to have her dragged in the street and shot.

frogger

Yes I have a pet store. No my puppies are not sold out of the store. They are sold from my house. I have 2 friends that I help out when they cannot sell all of their pups. I have contracts with take back clauses for the lifetime of the puppy. I also have a spay/neuter clause in the contract. Also a guarentee for a year if they take them to a vet within 7 days. Even though they are checked before they come in, anything can happen in a years time that is missed on initial check-up. Not one pup has had any problems. I get to see them in 3 weeks after they leave the store so I cna make sure they are taken care of. I am always ther to answer questions and help if needed. They even get the breeders phone number and my home number just in case. All pups are vet checked and 8 weeks old or older before they ever come into my store. I do one litter at a time. I'm not against the breeding of mixes by other people, what they do is not something I will ever talk them out of. I have seen lots of customers who have purebred dogs and all they have are problems, even with the testing and all. Mostly allergies to the foods out there today. Any other questions?

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Yes, you need to educate yourself more on backyard breeding, and stop helping out your friends who are doing a very bad thing for the dogs of this world. By your tone, it sounds like you have your mind set, and cannot be changed, but believe me, you work in the `pet business', which is a very lucrative trade. And it should not be lucrative for the reasons above. You may be doing all of these things with vet checks and so forth, and that is all well and good, but what you are actually doing is perpetuating a massive, massive problem in the dog world, and if you became more informed I'm sure you would stop. If you really care for animals, you would not be promoting this. If you continue to promote it, all I can say is that you do not really care for animals, whatever reasons you give to make what you are doing sound ok. It's not ok, it never will be ok. And you will get no sympathy from this site unless you are here to learn.

Unfortunately, there are those who come here who get put off by how vigilant we all are, and they get angry and never come back. I hope, hope, hope that you continue to stay around, because we're all really nice people, who just take a hard line when it comes to welfare. This board is about welfare, what your friends are doing, and what you're helping them to do, is against everything that welfare stands for. That is why we get angry - it's not a personal attack, not at all, it's just a desperate plea to teach people more about the horrors of unregulated breeding.

So, my question to you is, how do you feel about sticking around and learning more?

frogger

I'm not going anywhere. I have to agree I don't agree with everything on this site, but I'm still here. I do this for them so the local shelter in the city where I am at does not get overloaded with their dogs. I also help out the humane society with their cats and kittens. I have refused to take anymore of the kittens that everybody has left on my doorstep or conned me into taking. All they ended up doing was giving me the sick ones. I also help out a local rescue by steering as many of these breeders to them as possible. That's why I only work with 2. I have never had a bad pup and only have 2-3 of them at a time. I have tried to tell them to gow ith the purebreds they refuse. But rather than have them go to the shelter or end up dead because they have to many makes me want to help them more. Do I make money, nope. I have to feed and take care of these pups until I find them homes. Plus get there shots updated if they are there longer than 2 weeks. I don't get anything for this and don't ask for this either. Then they won't let me have them. The rescue is always full as is the shelter. The shleter has mostly larger unpredictable dogs that I don't want in my store for insurance reasons. They do send potential adoptees to me when they know I have these pups. I have known the director for many years and we have a good relationship. If I see abuse she si the first to know. If there are sick pups in the area she will let me know so people coming in won't spread that to the other pets I have in the store. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong but I'm trying the best I can.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Yes I have a pet store. No my puppies are not sold out of the store. They are sold from my house.
Yet you say...
All pups are vet checked and 8 weeks old or older before they ever come into my store.
Thus, I am confused, because you contradict yourself.

And yes, I have a question. What health testing do you do on your breeding adults?

:popcorn: hmmmmm, this popcorn needs more butter.

krisykris

I just have a few questions. Do you make money off the animals that people just "drop off at your door", or the ones that are sick? I just think that by selling these "backyard breeder's" unwanted puppies you're just allowing them to continue because they know that they can come to you and that you'll sell the dog. Also, why would any reputable breeder allow their dogs to end up at the local shelter in the first place? Plus, you're not rescuing the dogs and rehoming them.. you're SELLING them for a profit I take it and I just don't see how that's helpful.

bubbatd

More than that folks !!! What I gather from here ... you have 2 friends who breed and supply your store with puppies .... both they and you make money from this arrangement . Isn't this BYB for both your pocket books ? If you want pups in your store , I'm sure the HS would be thrilled for you to foster in your store .... preceeds go back to the HS. This would not only make you feel good , but your sales of dog supplies would go up !! That's why I only buy from petstores that only have rescue programs .

bubbatd

PS .... I applaud your cock-a-poo looker !!!! I imagine you had a " designer " prices on these pups rather than "mutt " prices. Good for her to try to educate you .

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Frogger, I have to say, if you work in rescue and welfare as you say, you would be doing anything to STOP these people from breeding - considering you know first hand what it leads to in terms of overpopulation. Instead you are helping them? Help them by making them understand how they are contributing to a huge problem. Then you will really be helping. At the moment you seem to be an accomplice, and that is a different thing. I can't believe that someone who works with and sees the daily problems of overpopulation of dogs and cats, because of people like your friends, that you aren't trying to stop them. There really must be something in it for you, otherwise you have the oddest view of `welfare' I have ever come across.

Members online

No members online now.